Some Alien game I can't get a tag on....

Started by TITANOSAUR, Mar 26, 2016, 11:27:10 PM

Author
Some Alien game I can't get a tag on.... (Read 1,145 times)

TITANOSAUR

hello everyone! I was wondering if you guys can help me out with something? back in the 90's I remember getting this little toy game thing from a flea market. (honestly why are they called flea markets? there's no fleas there, and even so, why would you WANT to buy fleas?) it was obviously based on ALIEN, it looked like it could have been Kenner but I don't remember. (keep in mind this is from memory and I just now remembered it) anyways, the game was like this. there was a crater looking thing with these holes on it's floor, these holes are where you place these little figurines with magnets on the head called astronauts, and connected to said crater display you had a crane with a magnet on it. the object of the game is to put all the astronaut figurines in the crater, then pull a string that has a little alien figurine tied to it (I remember it was quite cartoony and had big silly eyes, but i kinda liked it). your objective is to "rescue" as many of the astronauts as you can with the magnet crane before the alien gets to the crater and "Kills" the space guys. when it does reach the crater, a mechanism inside will pop and make the astronauts jump out of place. any astronauts left in the crater are dead and your left with the ones you saved. After that I don't remember, but I think it's meant to be competitive to see who can save the most astronauts. but I always played it with my mom. it's surprisingly fun from what I can recall.  unfortunantly the game was lost during a flood, and now I kinda want to know if anyone else ran into a similar thing, maybe it was a KO, or if it was some rip off (though I liked it as a kid and now kinda think it's clever if done again but with a nostromo  model or a derelict model instead of that crater thing).

-Titan

El Diablo

El Diablo

I've been searching for this exact same item.

It was released in the late '80s and was not officially based on the ALIEN franchise even though the "monster" was most definitely a pudgy little Xenomorph. The toy was actually part of a series of similar games, each based on different themes. They had tv commercials for it and there was a guy suited up in a giant kid-friendly version of the Alien costume  (imagine if Giger designed the creature to appear on Sesame Street).

I went out and had my Dad search every toy store in town until I found one. Hell, it was the only Alien type of game or toy available at the time even if it wasn't directly connected to the movies.

alienscollection.com

Was it Astro-Nots?

TITANOSAUR

TITANOSAUR

Yup that's it. you can see why I thought it was alien themed. cuz the one I got didn't have the original box. (it was in a box for a lamp) and the lable at the side was gone. (it was old)

Still as I said it was really fun! I might look to get this game again.

on a side note, if they remade this game, but actually made it an Alien License toy, have the crater replaced with maybe Nostromo, or the derelict, and the alien looks less cartoony and more like the original. maybe even have one based on ALIENS too? OH AND PREDATOR! I'm guessing this kind of gimmick isn't off limits to replicate. it's a super simple design.

windebieste

Make your own game!  Hell, you can either follow the manual for this item or make your own rules. 

Titan Vinyl figures are perfect for playing board tokens:

Here's the full line up:

Too bad you don't get a Kane figure without being infected, but the hugged version is passable

Now go make your own board up and roll them bones.

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed