EMERGENCY FUND! PLEASE HELP!!

Started by RakaiThwei, May 12, 2015, 07:59:20 PM

Author
EMERGENCY FUND! PLEASE HELP!! (Read 2,089 times)

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

My name is Philip Neris.

I have started this campaign in an effort to keep my family safe, off the streets, and to prevent ourselves from losing everything.  This is an effort to bring some relief to my mother and alleviate the situation which my mother and I are currently suffering.

As of June of 2014, my mother had lost her job after suffering stress-related chest pains and severe depression.  After attending rehabilitation and therapy to deal with her depression, she was able to bounce back and began to look for work again.  She has been on job searches ever since with no luck.  Fortunately, she was able to collect unemployment income for a few months but the income was insufficient to pay the rent and ended in December, 2014.  However, as of September 30th, 2014, our rental lease was up and my mother was unable to renew it so she, I, and a few friends packed up all of our belongings and put them into storage.  Unfortunately, one storage unit was not enough and two units were required to store all our belongings costing us approximately $400/month in storage fees.

We've been staying at hotels, motels, as well as with friends and family in effort to keep stay off the streets for a little over six months, now.  We left New Jersey and stayed in Florida for five months with my aunt while searching for full-time employment down there but again nothing was achieved.  The only work she was able to find was part-time work at a Target store.  She never gave up, though, she has always continued to look for work.  She finally received several calls for interviews in New Jersey in April.  Once again, we packed our car and returned home for the interviews.  We returned believing we would finally find relief.  She attended all of the interviews and has yet to hear anything back.  That was weeks ago.  She had also coordinated a job transfer from Florida to New Jersey in the hopes of continuing her part-time employment with Target but somehow that fell through as well.  While she should have been a transfer, she was interviewed as a new employee instead and was never hired by the New Jersey store.  We still don't know what happened there, but we do know we have no income now.

My mother has followed up on her interviews but the employers have not returned any of the calls.  There are no job offers in the works and we are still destitute and in a dire situation.  We continue to go to the library every day so that she can have internet service to apply for jobs online.  She is not a quitter! 
We have been staying at my Grandmother's building which is a senior citizen community in Philadelphia and the management there has allowed us to stay for four weeks.  As of May 18th, our stay there will end and my mother and I will be completely homeless with no place to stay, other than our car.  We have no money for food, shelter or to pay our bills for the phone, storage and car.  She is also behind on several bills and they continue to pile up.

My mother and I have been trying to make this work.  We've never asked for help during this ordeal as we felt as if we could achieve this on our own.  We've been turned away from numerous social service agencies for one reason or another, due to circumstances such as being unqualified or having no physical residential address. 

All of our resources have been exhausted.  We simply do not know what else to do.  Therefore, I suggested the idea of starting a GoFundMe campaign in an effort to raise some money so that we can at least have enough for the basic necessities of life such as food, shelter, etc., and to help pay off the remaining bills which have weighed us down.

My mother is a proud and very strong woman.  She has worked over 40 years.  She has never had to depend on anyone and does not like to ask for help if she feels she can do it on her own; but this is too, too much and too, too big.  Now, she needs the help, and I want to help her.

We just need enough for us to survive so we can continue to find employment and so we can rebuild what we have lost.

If you can send in any donations, even if it's just a dollar, five dollars, ten dollars – whatever the amount, we would be most grateful.  Thank you and God Bless.

You can find the donation fund at:
http://www.gofundme.com/u53r6pc

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Raka, I know we don't always get on but I always feel terrible for you whenever you post an update to your situation that isn't the kind you'd want to. You are a fellow human being and when I worked at the Job Centre I used to hate seeing people in similar situations.  I can't give you much but I have donated some towards you.

I just hope some of our other members are able to donate some, even if it isn't much, to help you out.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 12, 2015, 09:08:09 PM
Raka, I know we don't always get on but I always feel terrible for you whenever you post an update to your situation that isn't the kind you'd want to. You are a fellow human being and when I worked at the Job Centre I used to hate seeing people in similar situations.  I can't give you much but I have donated some towards you.

I just hope some of our other members are able to donate some, even if it isn't much, to help you out.

Over at the library typing this.

I want to say thank you for the donations. Really, this is a very tough time in which me and my mother have gone through and in the few months we have been without a home, so I am hoping word about this situation is spread.

I don't have twitter or facebook since I've wanted to stay away from those social outlets but right now, I'm realizing how crucial they are. I've had to text some friends to put the word out for me.

But again, Hicks, thanks for the donations. From the bottom of our hearts, my mother and I thank you!

The Alien Predator

Hey, Rakai.

I'm really sorry that you are going through this. Searching for jobs isn't easy, I fully understand as I am unemployed as well. Jobcentre helps out a bit with the financial situation. Doesn't America have an equivalent of Jobcentre you can try getting into?

I spread the word on my Deviant Art journal and will spread it to some more friends. The internet did help some people in need and it might help you as well.

I wish you and your mom the best of luck. I may not know you very well but I know that you're a good man who doesn't deserve this. I hope everything gets better asap.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Thanks for sharing this situation and bringing awareness of it to others,  Guan. I appreciate that a lot.

The Alien Predator

No problem, my friend. I wish I could do more.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on May 13, 2015, 12:50:26 PM
No problem, my friend. I wish I could do more.

Spreading awareness is something and I say you helped in that regard. Thank you.

Darkness

Darkness

This is one thing that does actually get my blood pumping - homelessness. In this day and age, nobody should be homeless yet there are thousands of people sleeping on the streets in the UK every night. How is that even possible? There are charities, hostels and shelters out there to help you. Hell, even without work, you can still easily find a place via the council where you don't even have to pay rent and you get unemployment benefits on top..

But I don't envy you. This is one of my worst fears, that if I ever lose my job, I would lose my home, hence why I'm so eager to pay it off completely. How old are you? Are you looking for work too? Donations are only ever going to be an interim measure, eventually you'll run out of money and the inevitable will happen. You need to get in touch with these homeless shelters or social housing. There must be something in America to help people like you out.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I understand welfare is quite strict in the States. Rakai does talk about trying to get help and I'm sure RidgeTop can probably explain what it's like over there.

And to be fair its not exactly sunshine and daisies here either.  There's a lot of beauracy around it all that will often see people not being given  help based on something daft.

Glad to see the fund is going well, Rakai.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

It depends on the state you're living in. Live in a republican state and you can starve. Plus welfare is made to subsidize minimum wage earners and people that make babies purely for economical factors. Most if not all charities are businesses and have set quotas on what they will do and for how long. Most church services are only good for one month. Same deal with non profits such as the Red Cross, people donate to them thinking that they will help people for more than 2 days but that is all they help you for and say it is because they are a "temporary emergency" institution. So basically if your house burns down and takes everything they'll rent you a hotel for 2 days and give you a box of food and some used clothes. That's it. Yet people donate millions in the belief that they'll do more. Both Florida and New Jersey are deaths traps if you are unemployed without residual income, they really should try to find a better state to live in. Also don't keep anything on a bank account if possible, that storage locker will prevent any government assistance should any become available. Bottom line you have to find a job, any job, just as long as it is at least part time. Then you will be qualified for food and housing assistance to the federal minimum income. Just don't make more than what ever the minimum earning is, which I think is 1280 a month average per person.

The US is a dick if you are out of work for more than 90 days or during non-recessionary times.

The Alien Predator

I can relate to Darkness, it is one of my WORST fears...

And Colonel Hicks is right, it's not all sunshine in the UK either. I am still glad to be here than in the US though. Despite all that, society really has a long way to go on a road to better itself unfortunately.

The thing that worries me about Rakai, is that he literally has until Monday before he ends up homeless. This whole temporary help thing sucks.

Whiterabbit has the right idea, Rakai. Just find anything to do, even if you don't like it, you should still take it in this time of desperation and earn some income while still looking for a different job. Look for ANYTHING, even McDonalds should suffice until something better comes along for you to take.

Or try some warehouse picker/packer jobs. Or retail.

And should the worst come, homelessness can be a temporary setback. It's not always the end of the world since you are a young lad and there's still some hope for you to find something. There has to be.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Using a phone to post this. So it's going to be short.

I am 27 years old and I have been looking for work to in the realm of retail since I have some experience in that area. Thing is with trying to get help in NJ through agencies,  a physical residential address is required.  Using relatives addresses is illegal and stops us from getting the help. PO Boxes are also rejected by these agencies.

As for seeking shelters, we are trying to avoid that as they separate male and female dorms which is something that doesn't bode well for my mother. We are looking for alternatives.

Gonna see if my godmother Juanita can take us in like before.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: RakaiThwei on May 14, 2015, 12:06:20 AM
Thing is with trying to get help in NJ through agencies,  a physical residential address is required.  Using relatives addresses is illegal and stops us from getting the help. PO Boxes are also rejected by these agencies.
I'm assuming you are a US citizen with a social security card, then just walk on over to the nearest shelter and ask to be allowed to use their location to receive mail. Just go for the proof of residency. If not then open a utility account in your name at a relatives house. Sure you won't be living there, no need to tell them jackshit, but at least you'd have an address and proof of residential mailing when asked. I don't know how civil servants behave in Jersey but most places are not going to do anything that could get you in trouble or risk your benefits. Plus is your mother over 65 or disabled? If so then they have no f**king business even asking and should be following the social security guidelines any how. That supersedes state restrictions.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Donated.

My dad was homeless and I saw what he went through in order to get back on his feet. I also how homelessness can affect the people around said individual. You have my support, brother.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 14, 2015, 03:33:35 PM
Donated.

My dad was homeless and I saw what he went through in order to get back on his feet. I also how homelessness can affect the people around said individual. You have my support, brother.

Thank you so very much for donating Doomrulz! God bless you, from my mother and me!  :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed