Started by Sabby, Sep 01, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

Author
Theology (Read 209,756 times)

Sabby

Sabby

Enough now, take it to PM please.

SiL

SiL

I'm sorry, Sabby, but I believe this is still on-point with the thread as a whole. If you disagree, I'll delete it immediately:

QuoteMy biggest pet peeve is a person who demands an explanation of someone.
I just want to highlight the absolute absurdity of a statement like this in a thread about atheism. I requested -- not demanded -- a response to a point I was unsure of. This is the absolute foundation of not only these types of conversations, but of beliefs (and lack thereof) themselves. It is the absolute foundation of all of our accumulated knowledge. We have uncertainties, we have gaps in our knowledge, we seek the answers. Religion and science present two means of acquiring answers, one based on observation and the other on belief and hearsay.

How can anyone who seeks to argue for reason and logic, who criticises the bigotry, prejudice, and pig-headedness of religion, possibly have a problem with a person requesting information so as to understand something?

People trying to shut down opposition to their statements, thoughts, and beliefs is not the exclusive domain of the religious. It's just human nature, and atheists are every bit as guilty of it as the people they hold such actions against.

Sabby

Sabby

That's fine Sil, perfectly on topic.

SiL

SiL

For the record, people, Mr Sin deleted many of his posts from the last few pages, hence my now-bizarre replies two pages back, which make me look even more like a raging dick than I often am. I'm not deleting my posts lest Sabby asks.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Mr. Sin on Apr 20, 2014, 09:47:49 AM
SIL is a he? Oh. He seemed to catty to be male.
Goddammit, Mr. Sin.

Aspie

Aspie

mannnnnnn how am I supposed to follow this shitfest when there are so many deleted posts  :P

Darth Rinzler

Darth Rinzler

Quote from: Sabby on Apr 19, 2014, 10:59:07 PM
So far, just like last time, you've demonstrated yourself to be completely incapable of giving direct answers to direct questions. I asked you to look at the numbers I came up with. If you take issue with the methodology, by all means, tell me, but what you gave me was several paragraphs of nothing.

No I have given you a direct answer.  God is not going to punish everyone but one denomination of Christians.  The demonic can not fully imitate the abilities nor the Glory and Wisdom of God.

Now one problem I do have, besides what I posted, with your math-wing formula is that their is not as many denominations as you have posted.  I looked into why you would think their so many different Christians.  You are listing different organizations within denominations as separate Christians.  Just an example you are saying that just between Russian Catholics and Italian Catholics their can be only one that is correct...  Which goes completely against Church structure, and it also goes against the mercy of God since all you got to do is believe in him and declare him your Lord and Savior. 

Lastly what I was pointing out before in my last comment, about the difference between Salvation in other religions, I brought those points up because if Christianity was caused by a demonic power and the other religions were true, just based on the objectives alone for them you would still go on to paradise because of the deeds good Christians do.  So really you wouldn't be damned being a true Christian.  On the other hand what the others religions do is lead you away from Jesus which is wrong because he warned the only way too salvation is through him.

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 20, 2014, 01:14:36 AM
Quote from: Darth Rinzler on Apr 19, 2014, 05:58:23 PM
Men in Africa would have sex with primates, HIV is thought to have only been a disease they carried until it adapted to our biology.

In short this would never have been problem if they had not had sex with animals and then sex out of wedlock with multiple partners.  If did this or became nonsextuals this disease would not be anywhere as near a problem as it is now.

So you're not just spectacularly ignorant, you're racist as well. Cute. Damn those Africans!

HIV jumped to humans from eating chimpanzees, dumbass, not f**king them.

Nothing is racist about what I said.  As for your explanation for why HIV is now a human disease I will point out I found an article that shows that the matter is not clear.  Some believe it was transmitted by a primate biting a human in Africa, some believe it was caused by humans who where unknowingly using a sick primate for medical tests and used these finds to produce vaccines, and these vaccines spread the virus.  I did however see it was a fraud claim that the virus was spread through consumption of contaminated monkey meat.

Since there many claims on how the virus was spread their is no point talking about it. 

Mr. Sin

Mr. Sin

those of you who wish to have fun with atheism, should join my new thread in the Rec area.

And SIL, I woke up on the right side of the bed... Your apology awaits you there.

Sabby

Sabby

Rinzler, even if there were only 10 different kinds of Christianity, it doesn't change the dilemma. You said demons create false religions. You haven't explained why you know you're in the correct one, rather then deceived by a demon.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Isn't to have faith nothing more than a having a blind belief or confidence in something? For instance when we say we have faith in someone to accomplish something that usually means we are assuming that they can do what we ask of them even thought there is no proof that they are capable of it.

Sabby

Sabby

The words faith and trust get mixed up a lot.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: Sabby on Apr 20, 2014, 09:26:12 PM
The words faith and trust get mixed up a lot.
That's because they're synonymous.

Sabby

Sabby

Faith is blind, trust is informed.

God is something you simply have faith in, you're partner having dinner ready is something you trust them to do, based off what you already know.

People love to use the word faith when they mean trust to try and create a level playing field where one doesn't exist.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

BANE

BANE

Haha trust is informed.

Good one.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed