Prometheus influences in Man of Steel?

Started by bishoop, Jun 20, 2013, 05:32:08 PM

Author
Prometheus influences in Man of Steel? (Read 8,662 times)

bishoop

bishoop

Giger like ship designs/tech, the engineer like suits, superman doing battle with an large engineer like kryptonian in smallville, aliens wanting to terraform/destroy earth, Kryptonian pre visitation, possible hint they created mankind? (or at least heavily influenced it)

szkoki

sad thing that is work for comic movie because its ....on that level

Aspie

Quote from: bishoop on Jun 20, 2013, 05:32:08 PM
Giger like ship designs, the suits, aliens wanting to terraform/destroy earth, Kryptonian pre visitation, possible hint they created mankind? ???
Quote from: szkoki on Jun 20, 2013, 05:34:02 PM
sad thing that is work for comic movie because its ....on that level

Gash

These things were quite noticeable, especially the lifting of a lacklustre Giger design aesthetic. Overall those touches, and Zod's gangs 'Jockey', suits were about the only interesting aspects of a Man of Steel: a bloody awful film.

wmmvrrvrrmm

The Prometheus /Giger influence seemed almost quite irritating to think about. I wasn't too happy about Superman being a Christ figure in the movie either, especially after the Jesus Christ being one of the engineers manifestations in Prometheus. I wasn't too happy about the Matrix influence either. But there were other aspects of the movie which I did seem to enjoy beyond all of this.

SM

Quoteespecially after the Jesus Christ being one of the engineers manifestations in Prometheus

That wasn't in Prometheus.

SiL

Absolutely nothing mentioned is unique to Prometheus.

RoaryUK

Quote from: wmmvrrvrrmm on Jun 20, 2013, 09:40:44 PM
The Prometheus /Giger influence seemed almost quite irritating to think about. I wasn't too happy about Superman being a Christ figure in the movie either, especially after the Jesus Christ being one of the engineers manifestations in Prometheus.

While I'm not seeing this "Christ being an Engineer" claim either, in the case of Superman, there seems to be a more direct connection to Christianity I wasn't aware of, and that was quite deliberate in MoS.  Indeed, I think you may find this an interesting read as I did...

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/06/14/man-steel-filled-with-jesus-christianity-references/

SM

"Because it all derived from Superman. I mean, I love all the characters, but Superman is just this perfect human pop-culture distillation of a really basic idea. He's a good guy. He loves us. He will not stop in defending us. How beautiful is that? He's like a sci-fi Jesus. He'll never let you down. And only in fiction can that guy actually exist, because real guys will always let you down one way or another. We actually made up an idea that beautiful. That's just cool to me. We made a little paper universe where all of the above is true."
― Grant Morrison

RoaryUK

After reading about this guy Morrison, I'm hopeful we'll get Justice League next instead of MoS 2.... could really be awesome!  :)

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: SM on Jun 20, 2013, 11:07:22 PM
Quoteespecially after the Jesus Christ being one of the engineers manifestations in Prometheus

That wasn't in Prometheus.

no, it wasn't directly in the Prometheus film, but it seemed to be some boring thing that Lindelof wanted to infer as an idea and well Ridley Scott had a few words to say about it and I hope they don't go any further with it

Quote from: SiL on Jun 21, 2013, 12:15:10 AM
Absolutely nothing mentioned is unique to Prometheus.

I think it's just all too soon after Prometheus for this type of film and I find this sort of thing all too cheesy anyway

Gilfryd

I noticed some of the Kryptonian technology was a bit... suggestive, but overall Man of Steel was much more satisfying than Prometheus.

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: Gilfryd on Jun 21, 2013, 09:11:55 PM
I noticed some of the Kryptonian technology was a bit... suggestive, but overall Man of Steel was much more satisfying than Prometheus.

well, I hope they both have sequels

Gilfryd

Quote from: wmmvrrvrrmm on Jun 21, 2013, 09:18:47 PMwell, I hope they both have sequels

I know which one I'm going to see!

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: Gilfryd on Jun 21, 2013, 09:19:38 PM
Quote from: wmmvrrvrrmm on Jun 21, 2013, 09:18:47 PMwell, I hope they both have sequels

I know which one I'm going to see!

and i will see them both

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed