The Space Jockey.

Started by Gekko1, Jul 14, 2012, 02:51:39 PM

Would you be happier if the Engineers in Prometheus and the Space Jockey in ALIEN were NOT the same species?

Yes
30 (43.5%)
No
39 (56.5%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author
The Space Jockey. (Read 10,631 times)

Vickers

Vickers

Quote from: Gekko1 on Jul 15, 2012, 01:23:52 PM
You seem highly offended that people should wish to differ in opinion? And with your statement about this site I have to wonder why you're here?

Gekko1

Gekko1

Quote from: RiddleMeTheus on Jul 15, 2012, 01:02:09 PM
But I will express my views and thoughts when I damn well want to.  So don't let this put you off, Gekko.  Not everybody freaks out if you have an opinion that differs from theirs.

Exactly and thank you! :)

episodenone

episodenone

Quote from: RiddleMeTheus on Jul 15, 2012, 01:26:12 PM
You seem highly offended that people should wish to differ in opinion? And with your statement about this site I have to wonder why you're here?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6fnnmO1bx1qanmyo.gif

haha -- to discuss the movie!  the movie i saw.  the one that exists.  the... oh, nevermind.

you on the other hand -- would be better off not here and working on your screenplay!  and i can honestly tell you -- when that film is made - i'll sit next to you opening night proudly.  and then discuss your film -- the one i saw.  the one that will exists.  the... oh, nevermind,

otherwise - you are a fan-fic dreamer [not writer -- unless you show me a draft] and i think there is a fan-fic forum on this very site.

Gekko1

Gekko1

Quote from: episodenone on Jul 15, 2012, 01:04:59 PM.So, if he is not the be all end all of the story.  What is?  You and your internet posts?

Ridley Scott is one man. He's created ALIEN and Prometheus. Both are good. Others have contributed too. James Cameron, David Fincher and Jean-Pierre Jeunet. I'm sure there will be other ALIEN movies, other writers, other ideas. Let's hope so!

QuoteI am simply discussing factual evidence -- and you are fantasizing -- I would be happy to discuss why I do not think the Engineers ruined anything whatsoever and are in fact good science fiction.

You're right. According to Mr Scott's vision the Space Jockey and the Engineers are one and the same. Good! And yes I am 'fantasizing'. This is Science Fiction we're talking about right? I'm 'fantasizing' about a different take on Mr Scott's take, that is all.

I'd be happy to read your thoughts on the Engineers and where the story could go with them. Please do!

QuoteYou are discussing your dreamworld vision of what you wish this movie was b will never be nor will anyone else attempt to make is so.  Live with it.  If we cryo-sleep you for 200 years - you will wake up and find that the Engineers are still the same as SJ's.

The most you can hope for is a Chinese or a Black Engineer next time.  Will that be good enough for you?

:D The engineers could come in any flavor you like. I'm still 'fantasizing' about my elephantine Space Jockey and always will be.

QuoteNo one is bullying you by the way.  We are simply asking you to live within the framework of the story you have - not the one you thought up last night while stoned.

Haven't been stoned in a VERY long time! 8) And yes, you are bullying. I do accept the story of Prometheus. I just want to see  the Space Jockey as a separate being, and it could still be done.

Quote from: episodenone on Jul 15, 2012, 01:31:18 PM
Quote from: RiddleMeTheus on Jul 15, 2012, 01:26:12 PM

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6fnnmO1bx1qanmyo.gif

haha -- to discuss the movie!  the movie i saw.  the one that exists.  the... oh, nevermind.

you on the other hand -- would be better off not here and working on your screenplay!  and i can honestly tell you -- when that film is made - i'll sit next to you opening night proudly.  and then discuss your film -- the one i saw.  the one that will exists.  the... oh, nevermind,

otherwise - you are a fan-fic dreamer [not writer -- unless you show me a draft] and i think there is a fan-fic forum on this very site.

Challenge accepted! ;D

In 2013 I'm off to University to study Creative Writing!

When my Screenplay is chosen and the movie created, I will contact you via this site and arrange for your seating. You may laugh, but I am DEAD SERIOUS!

BANE

BANE

QuoteI mean, really?  100% DNA match?
They didn't say 100%. Two humans don't even match 100%. A high percent match is what I took from that. Something like us and monkeys: 97-98% or some such number. Even a small percent difference can result in massive physiological differences. Ergo, the differences in appearance.

Highland

Highland

I'm 47 years old

Yet you decide that the same ship, same chair, same suit , same director, same artist and same studio decided to make a movie about something that just happened to look like the same thing they all collaborated on originally?

Your basically saying Darth Vader is not actually Darth Vader.

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

I find it strange that someone might think that the engineer "killed" anything. I find that term ignorant and used by   media to make a hoopla out of absolutely nothing.  Why side with an argument that doesn't promote a single thing other than hate threads?

Who agrees?

I think engineers were a great addition to sci fi lore. bottom line, we didn't see it coming and poses more questions.
can't wait for it's return.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

The OP asked a legitimate question and then put forward his own legitimate opinion, as is the norm when posting polls. I for one find the results interesting, so cheers for it. No need to turn into another shit fight.

HenryEllis

HenryEllis

Highland and episodeone...you're a couple of anal retentive tools.  Crawl back in your toolbox, and let people idly chatter about meaningless shit in peace... 

Highland

Highland

Another one bites the dust. This place should be back to normal in no time  :D

delsaber8

delsaber8

What happened while I was gone  ::)

episodenone

episodenone

Highland - I do believe we were just criticized for being "too smart"   ;D

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

I don't see why Engineers and Space Jockeys can't be one and the same, I'd be the first to agree while it worked for Prometheus the smaller Engineer doesn't fit to well with Alien, but maybe just like us some are bigger than others and we just haven't seen that yet.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Completely agree Roary, but the argument that this thread has descended into is the tired old "Prometheus is f**king great and you are an idiot for questioning it" tirade, where some members think it is OK to attack someone for either not liking the film, or for daring to think about it in a different way.

HenryEllis

HenryEllis

Quote from: episodenone on Jul 16, 2012, 11:15:49 AM
Highland - I do believe we were just criticized for being "too smart"   ;D
Quote from: Highland on Jul 16, 2012, 05:09:26 AM
Another one bites the dust. This place should be back to normal in no time  :D

You guys are a cupla chummy butt pirates now aren't ya. Delusions of superiority and all.  You should exchange information so you can actually stroke each other off in real life next time.  You can go out to dinner, look longingly into each other's eyes, and talk about just how fantastic Prometheus really was and how when the sequel comes out you can go see it together and make out during all the scenes that make your superiority complexes burn white hot with desire for one another.  Later on in the hotel room you can roleplay.  Episodeone you can be the Engineer and Highland can be the trilobyte raping you with his embryonic tube while flailing his arms wildly in imitation of the tentacles of his most favoritest monster in the most awesomest movie of all time ever. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed