Starmap: NOT an invitation - so what is it?

Started by 180924609, Jul 05, 2012, 09:18:26 PM

Author
Starmap: NOT an invitation - so what is it? (Read 28,263 times)

Aceburster

Quote from: BLAIN on Jul 06, 2012, 02:34:21 PM
Quote from: Aceburster on Jul 06, 2012, 02:29:00 PM
Quote from: zuzuki on Jul 06, 2012, 08:09:08 AM
Quote from: Aceburster on Jul 05, 2012, 10:02:25 PM
  Id just like to point out that the concept that "breathable air" triggering the goo waking up makes no sense because the door to that urn chamber was open... so it could close on the Engineers head. Nothing should have changed in that room due to atmosphere 2000 years later since it was the same air in the same situation and the same complex.

In screenwriting, its called a "plot hole".
Or the fact that the ampules were there for 2000 years made them more vulnerable to atmospheric changes. You people see plotholes even when it starts raining outside on a beautiful sunny day

Im just pointing out the silly inconsistencies of the film. If we wanna get into the state of the urns being weakened over time, then what about the stacks aboard the ship that never broke after 2000 years and the one David ran off with during the storm?

Which brings me to another inconsistency i JUST thought of in that for Space Jam to get outta the ship after it crashed he should have had to swim through all the broken urns in the room connecting from the control room to the outside, not to mention Shaw would never get in and get Davids head.

This movie is like swiss cheese, its not my fault.

Better storage.

This whole board is like a battle of making things up lol, and you sir are a good sport.

BANE

Well, it didn't spill. Ergo, it was stored better.
Would you have liked a line saying "Look at this storage! This ain't no Ikea shelving: this is quality. No spilling with these shelves, no sir!"

Aceburster

Well thats like saying Indiana Jones didnt get killed, ergo: refrigerators are nuke proof. maybe... but Its more reasonable to believe that hed be screwed and the premise wasnt thought out well enough. That happens a lot when I think about this movie.

psychonaut25

When you look on it from this perespective, mny movies have plot holes and illogical scenes. try to think on many Chuck Norris action movies.

Aceburster

Well the Alien universe is sort of a respectable and believable place, yea Ressurection sorta hurt it, yea AvP hurt it and most people despise those movies for it and Scott was supposed to bring this integrity and realism back to the franchise that real fans miss.

Should we start conceding all this implausible, impossible and illogical stuff to make Ridley feel better? Its not gonna make the movies better down the road. I like Chuck Norris movies, I like some really horrible nonsensical movies for how rediculous they are, but thats... not Alien to me... Im all about poking at this movie as entertainment tho, just like I would a Chuck Norris movie : )

psychonaut25

Quote from: Aceburster on Jul 06, 2012, 03:22:37 PM
  Well the Alien universe is sort of a respectable and believable place, yea Ressurection sorta hurt it, yea AvP hurt it and most people despise those movies for it and Scott was supposed to bring this integrity and realism back to the franchise that real fans miss.

Should we start conceding all this implausible, impossible and illogical stuff to make Ridley feel better? Its not gonna make the movies better down the road. I like Chuck Norris movies, I like some really horrible nonsensical movies for how rediculous they are, but thats... not Alien to me... Im all about poking at this movie as entertainment tho, just like I would a Chuck Norris movie : )

You must speak with respect about Chuck Norris...

Darth Vile

Quote from: Aceburster on Jul 06, 2012, 02:29:00 PM
Quote from: zuzuki on Jul 06, 2012, 08:09:08 AM
Quote from: Aceburster on Jul 05, 2012, 10:02:25 PM
  Id just like to point out that the concept that "breathable air" triggering the goo waking up makes no sense because the door to that urn chamber was open... so it could close on the Engineers head. Nothing should have changed in that room due to atmosphere 2000 years later since it was the same air in the same situation and the same complex.

In screenwriting, its called a "plot hole".
Or the fact that the ampules were there for 2000 years made them more vulnerable to atmospheric changes. You people see plotholes even when it starts raining outside on a beautiful sunny day

Im just pointing out the silly inconsistencies of the film. If we wanna get into the state of the urns being weakened over time, then what about the stacks aboard the ship that never broke after 2000 years and the one David ran off with during the storm?

Which brings me to another inconsistency i JUST thought of in that for Space Jam to get outta the ship after it crashed he should have had to swim through all the broken urns in the room connecting from the control room to the outside, not to mention Shaw would never get in and get Davids head.

This movie is like swiss cheese, its not my fault.

From what I can recall David stored an unaffected ampule in a bag and then re-housed it in some sort of fridge/freezer back on the ship. That's enough for me to conclude that this particular ampule wasn't going to splurt any time soon. As for the state of juggernaut post crash, we don't know that the other ampules weren't smashed to pieces and what the engineer had to do to get out. I don't believe it's a plot gap/logic hole.

BANE

Quote from: Aceburster on Jul 06, 2012, 03:06:25 PM

Well thats like saying Indiana Jones didnt get killed, ergo: refrigerators are nuke proof. maybe... but Its more reasonable to believe that hed be screwed and the premise wasnt thought out well enough. That happens a lot when I think about this movie.
It's not at all like that. It's a hell of a lot more difficult to accept a fridge being nuke proof, let alone him withstanding being thrown a great distance in one with no broken bones, than to accept that the ampules were stored well.

Promethée

Quote from: Darth Vile on Jul 06, 2012, 03:29:58 PM
From what I can recall David stored an unaffected ampule in a bag and then re-housed it in some sort of fridge/freezer back on the ship. [...]

If I remember well I think he even uses some sort of freezing spray from a can before taking the ampule in his bag.

psychonaut25

Quote from: Promethée on Jul 06, 2012, 03:44:20 PM
Quote from: Darth Vile on Jul 06, 2012, 03:29:58 PM
From what I can recall David stored an unaffected ampule in a bag and then re-housed it in some sort of fridge/freezer back on the ship. [...]

If I remember well I think he even uses some sort of freezing spray from a can before taking the ampule in his bag.

wasn't he sterilizing it? Like the head before explosion.

Ruzena

Quote from: xii22loop on Jul 05, 2012, 11:04:19 PM
Quote from: SpaceJesus on Jul 05, 2012, 10:14:32 PM
180924609 I feel your dissapointment and frustration but really its time to let go, its a shit movie that looks nice, there are no answers to your many questions, those who like the movie in spite of all the points you have posited are more willing to suspend disbelief than you are, than I am.  Ridley scott is a self declared Fox News Corporation Tool now with an impressive resume (in terms of dollars) and an eye for detail.    This doesn't mean you have to like his movies and everyone is entitled to their own subjective experience for better or worse when it comes to art.  Needless to say I don't think Prometheus will be inspiring James Cameron to write a sequel, this isn't a turning point in cinematic history, and frankly Star Wars (OT)  isn't as good as everyone thinks it is/thought it was.  Hype and hope surrounding the first one may have just set you up to be let down but its just a movie, a great work of art maybe, but at the end of the day its just another thing you can buy at a store and life is about more than that, or less than that, depending on how you wanna look at it.

too bad this wonderfully written statement will go in one ear and out the other of most internet people unfortunately.

Well comments like that bring hope not everyone on "teh internetz" is complete idiot, I couldn't express it better ;]

Aceburster

Quote from: BLAIN on Jul 06, 2012, 03:38:38 PM
Quote from: Aceburster on Jul 06, 2012, 03:06:25 PM

It's not at all like that. It's a hell of a lot more difficult to accept a fridge being nuke proof, let alone him withstanding being thrown a great distance in one with no broken bones, than to accept that the ampules were stored well.

David lifted the top off of one no problem, like one handed bam, off.

In contrast to a ship that got smashed into by another ship which was basically going into warp speed, hit it hard enough to knock it out of the sky, flip it on its ass and burn the pilot under his gear wasnt enough to knock them off their shelves or break them open? That room must be a giant nuke proof fridge...

BANE

BANE

Come on.

A jar standing on its own in a room, versus one secured in a storage area. It's secured well, in place for long journeys?

The movie showed no leakage. Ergo, It was obviously secured in such a manner as to prevent spills. This is far less far fetched than super fridge and his sidekick, Terminator Jones.

EDIT: Unless, of course, there was another entrance, in which case there could have been a leak, but the room was sealed and therefore the problem was moot. Either way, it didn't play a factor.

Aceburster

I cant say for sure that it wasnt secured well, there could be special gravity on there which would explain why davids head never moved and just the fact that its on an alien ship as opposed to a fridge lends it a tad bit of credibility.

It would explain how the Derelict could crash land and not throw eggs all over the place too, so it could be possible, just real convinient.

If thats the case though, and they have a way to keep dangerous cargo secure on ships... why wouldnt they do the same for the urns in the mound? Atleast screw the caps on better if not put them in the same type of room?

BANE

Or they could just be held in place really tightly, and the lid secured so as not to come off.

In terms of David's head, I believe it did roll off. If you recall, it was atop the raised portion where the cryotube and pilot seat were, but when Shaw gets him, his body and head are on a lower part against a wall.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed