Using *spoiler* tags for dramatic effect

Started by DoomRulz, Mar 30, 2012, 05:52:36 PM

Author
Using *spoiler* tags for dramatic effect (Read 2,474 times)

DoomRulz

You know this sort of post? When someone thinks it's cute and funny to write a post and then encompass it with six spoiler tags just for the heck of it? I have to say it's really quite irritating.

I'm writing this because it seems like lately, I've been coming across them more often than not. It drives me nuts when I would like to read something but when I discover it's buried beneath multiple spoiler tags for no good reason, I'm forced to move on because I can't be arsed to keep clicking. If we were in the Recreational Area, I can understand that it would be fun to do but on a discussion board, it's extremely aggravating.

I'm not writing this as a mod or site staff or whatever you want to call me. I'm writing it as a fellow forum goer. I didn't want to single anyone out with this post which is why I haven't included specific examples but I do feel this is overdone.

Shasvre

I don't have a problem with it as long as it's just one spoiler tag. But when I have to click my way through ten or so, it can get pretty annoying.

DoomRulz

Even one can be annoying if what you're posting isn't something spoiler worthy. If the thread is about listing one's favourite <whatever>, it's uncalled for. You think you're being clever by saying "My favourite [band, etc...] is *SPOILER* Linkin Park *SPOILER* :O

There's nothing cute about it. It's just distracting. Spolier tags are meant for details about media that have not yet been widely shared, such as specifics about a movie plot.

It would just be nice if people didn't misuse it.

AliceApocalypse

I am guilty of always using one spoiler, either to be funny or shy (like in the Pictures of yourself thread). As a reader I don't mind one, but if it's more than one I don't go past the first. 

Shasvre

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 30, 2012, 06:45:46 PMEven one can be annoying if what you're posting isn't something spoiler worthy. If the thread is about listing one's favourite <whatever>, it's uncalled for. You think you're being clever by saying "My favourite [band, etc...] is *SPOILER* Linkin Park *SPOILER* :O

Ah, I get what you mean then. Aside from hiding real spoilers, I only use it to hide the punchline to a joke (which from time to time can be picture), if I think it will help it on the way and give it a better effect. But that's usually done in the Rec area anyway.

Nightmare Asylum

I know this is kind of a different topic, but I actually prefer when spoiler tags are used in posts with a lot (like, more than five) of pictures. The pictures often slow down the computer a bit, and the spoiler tags give me the opportunity to load to page completely and then view the pictures without briefly freezing the computer.

DoomRulz

Quote from: Laufey on Mar 30, 2012, 06:52:19 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 30, 2012, 06:45:46 PMEven one can be annoying if what you're posting isn't something spoiler worthy. If the thread is about listing one's favourite <whatever>, it's uncalled for. You think you're being clever by saying "My favourite [band, etc...] is *SPOILER* Linkin Park *SPOILER* :O

Ah, I get what you mean then. Aside from hiding real spoilers, I only use it to hide the punchline to a joke (which from time to time can be picture), if I think it will help it on the way and give it a better effect. But that's usually done in the Rec area anyway.

In Rec Area sure, that sub-board is comparatively speaking, anything goes. On a serious discussion board, it's annoying.

Quote from: AliceApocalypse on Mar 30, 2012, 06:50:31 PM
I am guilty of always using one spoiler, either to be funny or shy (like in the Pictures of yourself thread). As a reader I don't mind one, but if it's more than one I don't go past the first. 

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Why use them at all in such an instance? I don't see how it adds anything to your post.

Shasvre

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 30, 2012, 07:18:59 PMIn Rec Area sure, that sub-board is comparatively speaking, anything goes. On a serious discussion board, it's annoying.

Even a serious board have place for a joke every now and then.

RagingDragon

I'm guilty of using them this way as well, for reasons mentioned above.  I've never had a nested Spoiler-in-spoiler comment, though.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 30, 2012, 06:55:13 PM
I know this is kind of a different topic, but I actually prefer when spoiler tags are used in posts with a lot (like, more than five) of pictures. The pictures often slow down the computer a bit, and the spoiler tags give me the opportunity to load to page completely and then view the pictures without briefly freezing the computer.

I usually use them for this ^, as you can add a picture to your post without slowing down the entire page.

MrSpaceJockey

I fall into the irritating guilty category. Sorry, point taken.

AliceApocalypse

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 30, 2012, 07:18:59 PM

Quote from: AliceApocalypse on Mar 30, 2012, 06:50:31 PM

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Why use them at all in such an instance? I don't see how it adds anything to your post.

Ok, spoilers removed.  I was just being shy not realizing that it was annoying. 

DoomRulz

Well this just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth. I don't speak for the board at large.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed