Never say no to Panda!

Never say no to Panda!

INDEX

[Tutorial] TRON Effect
[Tutorial] 3D Crystal Icon
[Tutorial] Tech Border
[Tutorial] Cables
[Tutorial] Text to Image
[Tutorial] 3D Gloss Icon - coming soon...

1)

Create a new project (1000x500pt), background color black. Type your text
using the TRON font in a bright cyan color, size = 200, you can resize it later.

2)

Select text layer, LAYER=>TYPE=>CREATE WORKPATH. Hide text layer.

3)

Create and select a new layer (Layer 1), select a soft round brush size 8, same cyan color as text. Change to PATHS, right-click on "Work Path" and choose "stroke path" => Brush => OK. Delete "Work Path".

4)

Layer Window: Right-click on Layer 1, "Blending Options" and use the settings shown in the screenshot.

5)

Layer Window: Duplicate Layer 1 (=Layer 1 copy), right-click on Layer 1 => Clear Layer Style. Select Layer 1, EDIT=> Free Transform, just shrink the left and right side so the text fits into the copy, set opacity to 75-80%

LENS FLARE

Now we are done with the text, you can resize it or spend some time on the Blending Options (step 4), change color (white looks good as well) until you like the effect. I will merge the layers now and add a lightening effect. Here we go:

Create a new Layer. Fill it with black color. FILTER=>RENDER=>LENS FLARE.
Choose an effect...i took 105mm Prime, 50%. Set the layer to "LIGHTEN".

You can move the effect, use different flare settings or add more light sources, change the layer mode (to color dodge or Add for instance). If there is too much lightening going on you can use the eraser tool to delete it, change the opacity or the color: (IMAGE=>ADJUSTMENTS=>HUE/SATURATION,  check "colorize" and change hue, saturation and lightness until you like the effect.

If you want to use this effect in your own project you just have to follow those steps creating all those layers in your own project. Or you can use the text from the tutorial project, merge the text layers, place it in your own project and put the Lens Flare Layer over it.

If you want a smaller text you can resize the finished one or just use a smaller font, but then you have to lower the values for the brush, glowing effects and flares as well.

This is just the basic knowledge, you have to play around with the settings until you are satisfied.

EDIT:

Just found another way to create such a font, it's a bit easier and should look the same with some fine tuning:

Create a text with TRON font (i took size 200) set layer fill to 0%, select text-layer and open blending options.
  • Outer Glow: Screen, 75% opacity, choose color,  0% spread, 21 size
  • Inner Glow: Screen, 50% opacity, white color, 30% choke, 15 size
  • Stroke: 6 Size, Inside, 100%, same color as outer glow above.

Copy layer, uncheck outer and inner glow, stroke stays the same. Free Transform, shrink the left and right side so the text fits into the original text (like in step 5), set opacity to 75-80%.  Done, just play a bit with the values to get a perfect effect. Pretty much the same but you don't have to use a working parth (if you are not familiar to it)

3D CRYSTAL ICON

Tutorial: http://bit.ly/r3KH9m
    Brush: http://www.obsidiandawn.com/glitter-photoshop-gimp-brushes

Tutorial from webdesign.org, i created the icon above so yes, this tut works fine - i combined it with my techniques to create an enhanced version which i will describe in on of my next tutorials.

Tech Border

1)

Project size 600x150px for a signature banner. Create a new layer above a grey Background.
    Fill the layer with white color. Go to LAYER STYLE, settings:
  • Drop Shadow: 75%,120°,10/5/10
  • Inner Shadow: 60%,120°, 0/0/25
  • Outer Glow: 75%,white,50% / 3px
  • Inner Glow: 100%,light grey, Softer, Edge, 0% / 6px
  • Bevel and Emboss: inner Bevel, 1000%, Up, 10/6
  • Color Overlay: dark grey, 100%
  • Stroke: 3px, center, 100%,black

2)

Use cut (polygonal lasso) / erase tools to cut out a shape, use white color to add elements.
    You can spend some time on the Layer Style settings to get a perfect result, that's the basic knowledge. Advanced stuff like seen in the example image (buttons, cables, tubes...) will be explained in an upcoming tut.

Cables

1)

First we have to create a brush. Open a new project 600x300pt, white background. Use the Elliptical Marquee Tool, make a circle (hold Shift while dragging the border), fill it black. Then move the circle selection a bit right and cut out the right part of the circle to get a shape as shown on the image above. Select the new shape, EDIT=>DEFINE BRUSH PRESET, name it "Cable Shape". That's the new brush we will use later, close that project.

2)

New project, 600x300pt, white background. Create a new layer "CABLE 0". Set a hard round brush, size 25, flow 100%, dark grey. Then select the Pen Tool to draw the shape of your cable. Still using the Pen Tool, right click on this new path and select "Stroke Path", set it to "Brush" and uncheck the pressure box, OK. You now see a grey "cable", go to LAYER STYLE and check "Bevel and Emboss", try different settings until you get some white areas (those areas while be shiny when we finished the cable).

3)

Create a new layer "Cable 1". Set the cable shape brush we created before, same size as the hard brush (25), black. Go to brush settings, select the cable brush, size should be 25 and spacing 90%, SHAPE DYNAMCIS set Angle Jitter Control to DIRECTION, OK. While you are on the new layer select the Pen Tool, right click on our working path and select "Stroke Path", set it to "Brush" and uncheck the pressure box,OK.

4)

Using the Pen Tool, right click on the working path and "Delete Path", go to LAYER STYLE of "Cable 1" and set "Bevel and Emboss" to Pillow Emboss, try out different seetings until your cable looks well. I used 72% UP, size 5, Soften 0, rest default. If you want you can check color overlay as well and choose any color you like.

5)

Well done, you can use this cable or you can pimp it a bit. Just use Layer Style to change the settings of the emboss effect until you are satisfied. When you are finished you can go on like that: Create a new empty layer, merge it with layer "Cable 1". This new layer "Layer 1" is above "Cable 0", set it to hard light. While the new layer is selected CTRL+left click into the thumbnail of "Cable 0" to select the shape of the cable, invert the selection, then press "DEL" to delete possible blur effects from the new layer.

Afterwards go to Layer Style of "Cable 0", set Stroke to size 1, inside and 100% black color to add a sharp border. That's it, merge the visible layers and use the cable in your own projects. As usual, this are the basics, you can play around with layer style and filters, add shadow...

Text to Image

Random Text Generator: http://tinyurl.com/6ps6j2

Regular version:

Create a new project, pick the size of your image. Black Background, copy in your image in a new layer and create a text layer above it. Type in random text, random color. CTRL+left click on the thumbnail in your text layer window to select the text, invert the selection (marquee tool, right click on the selected text, "SELECT INVERSE"). Now the whole area around the text is selected. With the acticated selection just change to your image layer and press DEL to delete your selection. Deselect and hide the text layer. Done.

(click to enlarge)

My version:

Create a new project, copy in your image, create random text above it. Go to LAYER STYLE and set Stroke to 100%, outside, black and a fitting size to cover the spacing between the letters, OK. In the layer window set the Fill to 0%. Done.In my opinion this version is better, you can change the text and move it around without deleting parts of the image.

You can pimp your project like i did in my preview image...add larger text (and fill the space with normal text) or highlight the colored areas by adjusting hue/vibrance or put a color layer over it with different blending options like hue or color dodge and so on...you can try different fonts, i prefer bold ones with less space between the letters.

3D GLOSS EFFECT

greetings

PANDA

PLEXI

PLEXI

Nice tutorial panda, simple and effective.

Always nice to see a fellow artist :D

MudButt

MudButt

This is pretty good Panda, I'm learning how to work on photshop myself and these are helpful to do little practice sessions.

Never say no to Panda!

Thx...well ok, if there are interests i will update from time to time.
I'm practicing myself a lot atm so i'll try out several tutorials as well
and share them if i find something fancy.

UPDATED
[Tutorial] 3D Crystal Icon
[Tutorial] Tech Border
[Tutorial] Cables
[Tutorial] Text to Image

greetings

Effectz

Effectz

Thread deserves a sticky me thinks.

Never say no to Panda!

The question is if there are enough PS freaks around here  :D
I got a few other things to share...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed