AND I DIDN'T RECORD IT.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: First Blood on Apr 05, 2013, 03:11:31 AM
Quote from: BANE on Apr 05, 2013, 03:03:32 AM
Just finished. Absolutely loved it.

What did everyone else think?

I haven't watched it myself, but how does Mikkelsen compare to Hopkins or to a lesser extent Brian Cox?

Spoiler
Big Manhunter fan.
[close]
I think he played the role quite nicely. It was very different from the way Hopkins played him though.

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: Aspie on Apr 05, 2013, 03:12:52 AM
SHIT, I FORGOT THAT CAME ON TODAY.

AND I DIDN'T RECORD IT.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Don't worry, check nbc.com tomorrow; it always airs the day after.

Predator Queen

Predator Queen

I forgot as well...and I remembered at the time it ended. 

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Just reading some reviews and I'm really impressed with the reception it's getting. This show seemingly had everything aside from the cast working against it, but it's being received with immense positivity. I'll definitely check it out; here's hoping it can keep that up.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Not even Gillian Anderson is enough to make me want to watch this. Talk about milking a franchise to the point of absurdity.

And the dialogue sounds risably awful:

Quote"It's getting harder and harder to make myself look," the sensitive Will, who, as profilers do on television, regularly reimagines ultra-violent incidents from the perspective of the violent. "No one's asking you to look alone," says Fishburne's Agent Jack Crawford, eager to keep Will on the job. "But I am looking alone. And you know what looking at this does," Will responds. "I know what happens if you don't look," Crawford answers. "I can make myself look," Will says. "But the thinking is shutting down."

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Apr 05, 2013, 04:54:19 AM
Just reading some reviews and I'm really impressed with the reception it's getting. This show seemingly had everything aside from the cast working against it, but it's being received with immense positivity. I'll definitely check it out; here's hoping it can keep that up.

So far, this show seems better than The Following.  I have always been fond of the psychological approach to crime thrillers (Law and Order SVU did a really great job, at least until Stabler and Huang left) and sadly, The Following trades that for action scenes instead.

BANE

BANE

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 05, 2013, 04:55:05 AM
Not even Gillian Anderson is enough to make me want to watch this. Talk about milking a franchise to the point of absurdity.

And the dialogue sounds risably awful:

Quote"It's getting harder and harder to make myself look," the sensitive Will, who, as profilers do on television, regularly reimagines ultra-violent incidents from the perspective of the violent. "No one's asking you to look alone," says Fishburne's Agent Jack Crawford, eager to keep Will on the job. "But I am looking alone. And you know what looking at this does," Will responds. "I know what happens if you don't look," Crawford answers. "I can make myself look," Will says. "But the thinking is shutting down."
I don't think that was ever said in the episode.

EDIT: It appears to be woefully taken out of context from Episode 2.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Just watched the first episode myself and I liked it. Going in, I was a bit worried about Hugh Dancy, who plays Will Graham, but he delivered an excellent performance. The glimpses we got into his troubled mind were interesting as well. Mads Mikkelsen as Hannibal. Don't really know what to make of that yet. He doesn't "feel" like Hannibal to me, but that might just be because of how used one is to seeing Hopkins in the role. He did deliver a good performance though and they did set up some interesting character moments for him towards the end of the episode. Also, I like the imagery from the show so far, it's both disturbing and haunting.

From the looks of it, the next episode is going to be even better.

Quote from: BANE on Apr 05, 2013, 01:22:34 PMEDIT: It appears to be woefully taken out of context from Episode 2.

Yup.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I watched the pilot just now. It was actually pretty good. Hugh Dancy was genuinely impressive, and Mikkelsen is, well, Mikkelsen. I liked the cooking scene particularly.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Anyone who hasn't seen the original "Manhunter" (title changed from Red Dragon), directed by Michael Mann and starring William Petersen, Tom Noonan, Dennis Farina, Joan Allen and Brian Cox...please watch it. 

IMHO, it is far superior to the Bret Ratner re-make.  And while I love Anthony Hopkins, I think Brian Cox's original portrayal of Hannibal Lecktor is perhaps a bit more powerful, as well as subtle.  Hopkins portrayal feels a bit too "hammy", by comparison.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Glad to hear so many great things about this. Gonna be checking it out, for sure.

Aspie

Aspie

Just watched it. It was FANTASTIC.

Quote from: Deuterium on Apr 06, 2013, 05:17:45 PM
Anyone who hasn't seen the original "Manhunter" (title changed from Red Dragon), directed by Michael Mann and starring William Petersen, Tom Noonan, Dennis Farina, Joan Allen and Brian Cox...please watch it. 

IMHO, it is far superior to the Bret Ratner re-make.  And while I love Anthony Hopkins, I think Brian Cox's original portrayal of Hannibal Lecktor is perhaps a bit more powerful, as well as subtle.  Hopkins portrayal feels a bit too "hammy", by comparison.

Cox's version, while subtle, did an injustice to the character portrayed in the book.

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Watched it last night. It really is excellent! Cannot wait to see where they go with this. Hope the ratings stay (and grow) strong.

Gazz

Gazz

I wanted to like it more than I did. It looked good, often great (especially that Overlook Hotel bathroom!) but all too plastic at the same time. And the transition from big screen to small isn't really doing these characters any justice. Instead of a natural progression, with characters introduced to the plot when they're needed, I feel as though the story was rushing through a cliff notes version of itself to get to the point the two leads meet. It makes sense it would do considering the restrictions of a television run time but it's a bit of a hectic mess as a result.

That said, there's a spark in Mikkelson as Hannibal and though the dialogue is often a little too close to camp theatrics I like the initial relationship between Graham and Hannibal. There's plenty of potential there. And yeah, it may look a little too artificial but it still looks good. I'll hang about to see where this goes. Hopefully I'll be able to look past the made-for-tv gloss and sink my teeth into the tender meat beneath... stop laughing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed