Aliens/Predators for tabletop Role-Playing

Started by Lawman, Mar 20, 2009, 08:33:07 PM

Author
Aliens/Predators for tabletop Role-Playing (Read 11,857 times)

Lawman

I'm not sure if this should belong under general AvP or fan works, but I was wondering... anyone here plays tabletop RPG's like d20, World of Darkness, Rifts, and the like? I'm curious as to whether there are any AvP campaign guides/source books and other roleplaying materials by the known RPG publishers? (Wizards of the Coast, White Wolf, Palladium, etc.) Or have any of the resident RPG geeks here tried their hand at creating stats for Aliens and Predators? (generic templates as well as specific characters like Wolf or Broken Tusk)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Leading Edge did the only two officially-licensed "RPGs" of sorts.

There's "Aliens: The RPG" which is incredibly, excessively intricate and has you creating a Marine character, although you can create other characters like corporate-based ones (corporate officials, corporate mercenaries, corporate spies, etc), or civilians, etc. The RPG also goes into a huge amount of detail about the Alien universe, going so far as to make up other  (generally non-sentient) creatures that players could encounter other than Aliens, etc. The RPG came out before 'Alien3' did, so it only covers the first two movies.

The second one Leading Edge did was a tabletop wargame of sorts where you control one of the characters from 'Aliens' and reenact one of the battles (or make up totally new ones). That one even had little pewter miniatures and whatnot for all the characters; I actually have a set of miniatures depicting the Hadley's Hope colonists' "last stand", it's pretty neat.
You can play an online recreation of the tabletop wargame here.

Corporal Hicks

And less Aliens specific are the HorrorClix. WizKids used to own a tabletop style system called Clix and they made many different variations of it. HorrorClix, ActionClix and etc. Even Haloclix. They released two small sets (about 5 figures each) of Aliens vs Predator for the HorrorClix:

WizKids is out of business now but you can get them all on Ebay and etc.

And moving to Merchandise. :)

Shadow

thats nice. there was also a tabletop game with metal figures long ago, similar to warhammer etc. except that i dont know much more. im also developing a wargame for action figs usage. but i'll post that later, someday.. (not finished)

Xenomrph

The tabletop game with the metal figures was the second Leading Edge one I mentioned. :)

Shadow

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 21, 2009, 04:33:24 PM
The tabletop game with the metal figures was the second Leading Edge one I mentioned. :)

alright, cool :)

i hope to get hold on those...

Xenomrph

Good luck, the miniatures are pretty rare. You can find them on eBay but they're almost always stupidly expensive.

Vulhala

I can't believe that Games Workshop never came up with a game based on it TBH

Xenomrph

Probably licensing issues, not to mention Games Workshop is pretty dedicated to their own in-house products like Warhammer Fantasy Battle and Warhammer 40,000. Their only licensed game they've done is Lord of the Rings, and that was because the movies had just come out and were at the height of popularity. Aliens and Predator? Not so much.

Corporal Hicks

What about Starship Troopers? Didn't they do them?

Xenomrph

That was Mongoose Publishing. I actually have a shitload of plastic Warrior Bugs and a CHAS robot unit, they're pretty kickass.

Mr. Domino

Actually, if you're wanting an Aliens/Predator tabletop RPG, probably the best one on offer is the Aliens:Fuzion game available on Serena Dawn Spaceport. Chris Dias did a fantastic job bringing the Aliens universe to life, and includes just about everything in his conversion, including rules for most of the stuff seen in the Dark Horse comics. It's a monster book, I printed the whole thing out a few years ago, and it ended up being about 350 pages all told. Also, there's a series of plugins that he wrote for the game. Since the base game is strictly Aliens, there's a Predator plugin which includes rules for using the Preds out of Alien context (so essentially a straight Predator RPG) or using them as villains or even PCs in your aliens campaign. There were also plugins for 200 Years later (Resurrection) the Jockey Race (which included a lot of subjective material that I wasn't as wild about), and the Alien Cold War, which was interesting, as it focused on the corporations, although I didn't use it much. The game was a blast to run, and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to squash a few bugs with your friends.

Shadow

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 21, 2009, 08:55:49 PM
That was Mongoose Publishing. I actually have a shitload of plastic Warrior Bugs and a CHAS robot unit, they're pretty kickass.

sure is. but i think some kind of tabletop game for avp could work popular enough, i mean, avp is quite popular to be honest. im not sure if startship troopers are more popular tho?

naefe

I am looking for the rules set that someone published online back in mid 98-99 that was based on the White Wolf (old) world of darkness dice rules.  I don't remember much about it other than it was a hit with my group back then and I was hoping to introduce my current group to it.  I  hope someone can help.  XD

Mr. Domino

I don't recall anything like that. There was the one based off of the Champions rules set around that time, that was quite good, but I don't know that that's what you're thinking of.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed