Predator questions...

Started by smokeykit, Jul 19, 2008, 07:30:36 AM

Author
Predator questions... (Read 2,584 times)

smokeykit

smokeykit

and i'm not sure where to put this so if it's in the wrong spot, please move it to the right!

i'm currently doing role playing Predator based stories (a couple with friends, stories on two of my three sites) and i'm wondering just what IS known about the predators, their culture, etc. does anyone know? i have three books and the predator 2 movie that i use as reference for the predators but i have found i have to be creative with stuff for the stories. i've also used this site's information on some things - mainly the weopans information, but it's not enough when i need the culture side as well as the info on the females, dietary, breeding, and other things (yes, my rp stories are usually very detailed!  :-X). and how do you think the Predators would react when they learned that there are Predator/human hybrids? (that's a main point in one of the stories). can anyone help with factual information that is known for the above questions?  :-\ thanks!

Undeadite

Undeadite

Unfortunately, this is a hard question. The movies offer little about the culture, but they do allow us to make some pretty solid assumptions (and im no predator expert so others please feel free to jump in here at any time lol). We know they have a structured stratification, and it is probably a caste system based on honor and or physical prowess. We also know they are carnivores (pred 2 sucks the flesh from his trophy). Now for the rest of your questions, one would have to look into the expanded universe and this is a tricky thing for serious fans because much of it can be defenistrated. The books and comics that I have read explain that the predator females are physically stronger but the males are in charge. Reproduction is an honored thing, and is said to be very hazordous to a males health because he must overpower the female. I remember the AVP books have Dechande mentioning that he has spread his seed many times, so I do not think they have a family unit. Perhaps they are like a lions den, with one male reigning over a clan of females? And in the event of a human/pred hybrid... that is a very interesting quesiton. The comics and books claim that predators see humans, or 'soft meat', as a very dangerous enemy due to our technological warfare but this fear is also out of confusion because not many preds have faced us and come back to tell their tale. We are seen as a threat, but they also respect us. They do not try to interfere with us unless it is completely necessary, but this contradicts the movies a little so take it with a grain of salt. Anyways, the predators have allowed for a human to hunt with them (Machico Naguchi in the AVP universe) but she was not respected because she was 1) a woman on the hunt and 2) because she was different. The preds tolerated her because she was a blooded warrior, and would have killed her otherwise. This speaks highly of their dedication to tradition, but shows them as a race who holds grudges (no duh lol) So, any halfbreed would probably be tolerated as such, but be labled an outcast. My guess is that this hybrid would be treated like anyone born mentally handicapped or physically deformed before the rise of modern medicine or in a third world country. Once again this is just speculation based off of non-canon and all of it is open to debate.

smokeykit

smokeykit

whoa, thanks! all information gathered is a big help to me.  ;D i just wish i had more than the three books and movie to go on; i'm going to have to see if the local Barns and Noble has anything on the Predator/AVP stuff. i'll keep checking back here (also have email alert on this topic) to see who else posts information, too.

the books i do have (so you can get an idea where i'm coming from) are: Predator 2 by Simon Hawke; Predator, Cold War by Nathan Archer and AVP: Prey by Steve Perry and Stephani Perry (which you mentioned in your reply, Undeadit)

one other question: would the Predators go in for Revenge on the hostage/murder of one of their own (which leads to the hybrids in the story)?

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: smokeykit on Jul 19, 2008, 09:03:23 PMone other question: would the Predators go in for Revenge on the hostage/murder of one of their own (which leads to the hybrids in the story)?

What do you mean by hostage?

From what we could see in Predator 2, the other predators let Danny Glover's character live after he had killed one of their own. But he beat it in fair combat, so I don't think they would have been as forgiving if he had murdered it in some cowardly way.

smokeykit

smokeykit

going to clarify the "hostage" part of my other post, please bare with me: what i mean was that in the storyline of the hybrids story i'm working on with my one friend, two young Hunters were ambushed (lack of experience and no "blooded" around to help them; bad timing) and were held by military in an untraceable "black" experiment which lead to the human/predator hybrids who had been created to be able to face down the Predators whenever they returned, and kill them - not necessarily in a fair/honorable fight.

so i'm guessing the better question i should have asked was: How would the Predators react to learning that their Human prey had gone and done that to two of their own? open war on the human prey or more calculated moves (behind the "scenes")?

i can't see the Predators risking just leaving the Hybrids alone, but i don't see them killing the "innocent" group in out right blood-feud either. i can see the Predators sending in a group of Blooded Warriors to see just how bad it is (which was the way the story went - the "Council of Elders" back on the home planet had sent in a group of very experienced Hunters to find out just what the human prey had done and to see what had really happened to the two young ones - that part because it seemed like in the movies, the Predators don't leave behind bodies of their own when they can help it)

hope this helps some! will do my best to explain questions if need be to others and i hope to have others post their opinions (please, based on known facts) of the Predators. the more i can gather, the better my stories can be and i hope to find an online place to post them on when done for others to read! (spell check done off micrsoft word program - we really do need a spell check on here! lol)

Shasvre

Shasvre

Interesting idea. I think that the predators would eliminate both the humans who was responsible and involved in the project, as well as the hybrids. They would probably send in some experienced predators, possibly a Arbitrator. One thing is sure, they would not let this deed go unpunished...

smokeykit

smokeykit

for some reason, reading your post made me giggle. *shrugs*

anyway, that was kinda what i'd started idea wise with having the Predators there to clean up the mess with the hybrids: remove of all involved in the mess. only they had a couple of unexpected problems that threw them for a nice little "oh shit" loop: the Rogue Predator (can Predators be surprised?? lol), a group of humans who pretty much make the Predators think twice (can that actually happen with the Predators?) and pure curiosity among the Predators themselves as the situation unfolds. (damn that "curiousity" instinct! always gets everyone in trouble!  ;D)

of course, the story is more complicated than those "summary" lines above, which is why i asked in the first post what i did; it's the background information on the Predators that i've had to guess at (especially the females). oh, and the fact that my best friend told me i'm dead if her main characters were killed by the predators is another reason why the main characters (including one hybrid) are still alive in the story;  i don't know which is more scary: your best friend pissed off with you or a cornered Predator. lol

Edit: this video was/is one of the main guideing points for both of us - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0fF9zNzGsc4

Undeadite

Undeadite

I think the predators would get revenge on the kidnapping of their own, and it would be covert because they do not want to be discovered... they never know when they might need earth for something lol. As for their treatment of the discovered hybrids, I think it depends on their birth. If they were testube babies then I dont see them treating them any differently than a predalien. If it was born of a predator, then they might have some tolerance but thats up to you.

smokeykit

smokeykit

damn, didn't think of that angle. all i can really say is that only one of the "hybrids" is a direct genetic "child" of the one predator who didn't survive, the child's mother was one of the genetic scientists that worked out the dna stuff, so the child was born of human mother but Predator father. so in truth, i'm not sure how to have the Predators handle the child, who's now a young adult when the Predators show up to find out just what the hell the "prey" have done.

most of the Predator side is silent until the Rogue attacked the ship, killed two of the Blooded Hunters and fled northward, leading the investagating team to alot more than they expected - right into the heart of the ones they are searching for for revenge. (that's the prelude theme to the story's rewrite; rough draft is on my one site cos it's easier for my friend to post there and we work on rewrite later.) :-X

ridetofight

ridetofight

hey - first, interesting thread - good read. i did want to point out though that its a common mistake that viewers believe the predator in "2" is sucking the matter off the skull he's cleaning - he's not. if you pay close attention and have a tv that has the brightness up a little you can see it goes far past his head and up above him. its just a cleaning vacuum. they are, however, carnivores, as demonstrated by keyes comment that "he has a taste for beef" when talking about tracking the predator to the slaughterhouse.

smokeykit

smokeykit

yea, i know, that part of Predator 2 made me watch twice, lol. no worries on the carnavor part for the story i'm working on - the predators have their ship and everything else they need without drawing any more attention to their presence on the planet; one still working, anyway; they destroyed the damaged one in a public way to get the damn US Military off their backs, lol, but everything else the predators do in the story is "unnoticed" by most of the humans.  8)

Undeadite

Undeadite

Aw, I always thought he was sucking the meat off the bones. That would have been awesome lol.

smokeykit

smokeykit

*laughs* yea, but would we taste good to the Predators? i don't think we would, but that's just me.  ;)

Undeadite

Undeadite

Well, William Seabrook said that human flesh tastes like pork that could use a hint of salt... and I could see a predator devouring a hog.

Kriszilla

Kriszilla

"You killed a f**king pig." - Predator

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed