Why Weyland/Yutani needs an Alien as a bioweapon: My theory [w/ RETCONs galore]

Started by episodenone, Jun 28, 2008, 11:53:11 PM

Author
Why Weyland/Yutani needs an Alien as a bioweapon: My theory [w/ RETCONs galore] (Read 1,818 times)

episodenone

episodenone

OK-
having just watched A3 and AVP:R in the last week, it makes so much more sense to me.
watching movie marathons in series like this always tend to have this "unification" affect on me as to deeper plots/storylines...

in AVP:R -- the time frame is circa The Present [or whenever the present happens to be in our current technological age]
Miss Yutani already knows about Predators via the events in Predator 1 and Predator 2.
now we know she even has a Predator weapon in her possession

How she relates to what they learned in AVP is hard to say from this vantage point about the Aliens at least.
i need to rewatch that one i guess...

So The Company is aware of an species of Predators dropping by Earth from time to time and probably feels that their own purposes of world domination will one day certainly be compromised by this superior group.
W/Y also is forward thinking to its expansion into Space and feels that the likelihood of a face off with these Predators is even more likely in the future

But how will they repel the Predators if they choose an all out war with humanity?

Well, if they can capture an Alien queen, or bioengineer a Ripley/Hybrid that they can control, or even communicate with - then they can use this new Bioweapon when the day comes that they must finally faceoff with the Predators.
Thus W/Y's obsession with obtaining an Alien.  Otherwise why would they need such a Annhilation Weapon like an Alien? What could any Earth opposition to the Company possibly add up to that they would feel than Alien would be necessary for?
Sure, maybe just to have it, but that doesn't make the story nearly as colorful as it does if we use the minor snippets we have from JUST the movies and cut and paste a bigger and deeper story line

perhaps the SJ's were on their way with that shipment to a battle front with Predators already?
the trophy room in AVP:R does have a SJ skull.
so the idea has been thought of in the universe before W/Y even

i am terribly rusty on the comics - but i am sure whenever i re-read them i could fill in more blanks.

off hand - if i recall the Destroying Angels story - having the Aliens ignore you but attack something else would be great on a battle field.
and Aliens as a cleansing agent in the universe against a superior foe like Predators certainly makes things easier for humans or W/Y.

the other comics are wayyyy to far back for me to remember right now...

what do you guys think?

DDvsPred

DDvsPred

I think it's an interesting idea, I had something similar to it for my Predator Concrete Jungle game sequel but used differently. It does fit both the Alien and Predator universes together.

Weyland Yutani at first is supposed to be like the evil mega-corporation in sci-fi stories who exist to exploit life just for profit. They're willing to get their hands dirty in order to be powerful. I remember parts from AVPR and I can see the connection, I would never have guessed on that one. Good observation there. Perhaps the Yutani Corporation knows about the events in the Predator movies and maybe knows about the events of AvP. They need the aliens to stop the Predators from destroying them.

I can see that theory also in Predator: Concrete Jungle (despite AVPR didn't take place and CJ is non-canon), after Hunter's death. The merger between Weyland and Yutani resulted in them going into Mother and finding the aliens (whatever remained of them). They might have seen how they could be used to fight Predators. I mean after they got the technology and a century later, they'd be willing to have expendable workers to find the Aliens. After all, one of Mother's monologues mentions the antagonist relationship they shared in one of the levels.

episodenone

so now having just re-watched Aliens -- i can see a couple things i didn't think of before.

i had remembered the CM's as getting their butts kicked.
but when they were allowed to use their weapons - not so much.
it wasn't until Ripley points out that they cannot use their explosive shells etc due to the proximity of the reactor and they are stuck using handguns and shotguns.

so now i think the CM's might have been prepped with abilities and weapons capable of handling Aliens - and possibly putting up a good fight against Predators.
however - Pred's are much more intelligent and still seem to have superior weaponry and tactics a la invisibility and such.

clearly the CM's in general, and W/Y have experiences with Aliens elsewhere as well, thus the "Bug Stompers" logo and Hudson's "Bug Hunt" comment and Gorman's "We believe a Xenomorph..." and Burke being a Company employee and knowing about the Aliens prior existence.
Of course on top of Ash's pre-programmed along with Mother all along.

But we still don't know what more W/Y contact there has been with Pred's in this era.  where and when was the last contact since Miss Yutani takes possession of the Pred Rifle.
Has there been contact?

now the CM's are not under direct control of W/Y - even if maybe politically behind the scenes they are.
the colonial administration is.
so let's say that W/Y gets control over the Aliens as aforementioned - they could possibly have both the CM's and Aliens ready for battle with the Pred's or anyone else.
provided by that time they overtake any rivals like the Colonial Admin.

Still, we have a lack of evidence here to further develop the connection of Pred's to W/Y.
we need another comic or something.

Plus, why wouldn't the CM's have prototype Pred weapons for an operation like this?
Maybe, when the W/Y guys showed up in A3 with those weird rifles in the white suits, the reason they weren't followed in by CM's at this point because those odd looking rifles were Pred weapons and they felt would be sufficient for Alien combat/suppression?

The Necronoir

I find these ideas a bit cheesy, to be honest. You're basing this on an assumption that a) the human race needs protection from the Predators, and b) that a corporation like Weyland-Yutani would be remotely interested in doing something philanthropic like taking on the protection of the human race, neither of which I believe to be plausible.

First of all, if Yutani (and later WY) knows everything from the previous four predator encounters (P1, P2, AVP, AVP-R), they'd also know that they only come here periodically for sport, and are far from being interested in anything remotely like global domination. In fact, pissing them off by collecting their weapons and reverse-engineering their technology is perhaps the only thing which would compel the predators to see earth as a threat worth eliminating.

As for the second point, I don't believe WY is interested in anything other than increasing its profit margin and market share. As for how the alien would achieve this, and why the bio-weapons division would be interested, you only have to think of what Wren says in A-R about new vaccines etc. They see the alien as a source of technological, and therefore monetary advancement, just like the predator's technology. You seem to be assuming that WY want to aliens to use as a weapon as-is, which is unlikely in the extreme. Also, why would they want to use the aliens to ward of predators when the two encounters between the species have showed that the predators would be more than able to handle them given proper preparation.

As for military applications, we have very little idea of the political climate in the Aliens era, but some drafts of Alien 3 hinted at a coldwar-like rivalry between the USCMC and another extra-terrestrial authority. Even without any such prevailing conflict, as an arms manufacturer WY is not interested so much in the use of its weapons as their sale, relying on the perception of a threat and the superiority of their technology to shift their product, whatever the reality of the situation might be.

episodenone

Quote from: The Necronoir on Jun 29, 2008, 08:27:17 AM
I find these ideas a bit cheesy, to be honest. You're basing this on an assumption that a) the human race needs protection from the Predators, and b) that a corporation like Weyland-Yutani would be remotely interested in doing something philanthropic like taking on the protection of the human race, neither of which I believe to be plausible.

i never said W/Y was an altruistic organization.
not even close.
but they sure would need an equalizer in outer space because, well, you know, no one can hear you scream.
and having reverse engineered Pred technology mean you might not have to.

and yes, I am basing my theory on assumptions.
what other way can i make them?
all theories must be based on assumptions.

but what is "Cheesy" about them?
maybe that was the wrong choice or word?

i am trying to extrapolate deeper meaning from the films.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: episodenone on Jun 28, 2008, 11:53:11 PM
having just watched A3 and AVP:R in the last week, it makes so much more sense to me.
watching movie marathons in series like this always tend to have this "unification" affect on me as to deeper plots/storylines...

what do you guys think?

So the predators provide the impetus for the Company's desire to harness the aliens as weapons. That's an interesting idea. But I'm more interested in just how they plan to use the aliens. I remember "urban pacification" was brought up in one of the movies (Alien Resurrection I believe). I think eggs are too vulnerable to just be dropped among the enemy, especially if the enemy has dealt with the species before. I suppose unleashing drones would be one way (although you'd have to somehow take away their molting ability)...anyway you've come up with an interesting "why" but I'm still curious as to just "how" the geniuses at WY plan to mould the xenos into their pet soldiers.

As for the Space Jockeys, I'm firm in my belief that it makes more sense for them to be a far more ancient and advanced race than the Predators, I think it would be quite silly to put them on the same level as the preds and have the two duke it out :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed