DISNEY should give ALIEN to -

Started by CainsSon, Dec 28, 2017, 07:16:43 PM

Author
DISNEY should give ALIEN to - (Read 6,871 times)

Scorpio

Scorpio

Raimi and Jackson are too looney tunes.

Danny Boyle was one of the choices for Alien Resurrection.

Neil Marshall hasn't had a hit since The Descent.  Maybe if Hellboy does well.

Cameron is busy with Avatar movies.

I know I'm the only one but I would like to see Jean Pierre Jeunet come back, maybe bring back Sigourney and Winona also.  Make the true sequel to Alien 4 that nobody else will make.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Offer Cameron an underwater Alien film.

He'll postpone Avatar for another decade and do this one for free.

Beatnation

Beatnation

Paul Verhoeven.

swarm87

swarm87

I dont think anyone will make a good one, like Riley Scott said regarding star wars " they(disney) like to be in control"; that makes me think anyone given the chance to make an alien film will probably have a similar or worse experience to Fincher making Alien 3.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 05, 2018, 04:08:53 PM
Sam Raimi is good at straight horror, the first evil dead proved that but even then his humor creeps in a little. I think he could make a good Alien movie but there would definitely be some morbid humor in it.

Drag me to hell showed he still got the horror chops but again there was humor in that and like evil dead, it dealt with demons, creatures that Raimi gives sadistic yet comedic personalities.

Xenomorphs don't have a sense of humor nor comedy so Raimi would have to constantly resist the urge to have the Xeno go "we are going to get you, we are going to get you, not another peep, time to go to sleep" lol

Peter Jackson would not be a bad choice but not sure an Alien films needs to be so grand and massive in scale, which is really why Prometheus and Covenant didn't do as good as expected.

James Cameron is a good choice as he likely would not rehash the earlier movies.

Perhaps Danny boyle or Neil Marshal as they have done decent horrors before.

I still have a Starlog or something like that, from A:R days, where Whedon mentions that the two films he used as a template for Alien Resurrection were Poseidon Adventure and the FIRST Evil Dead. He specified that he liked the way the former was a 'get from point A to Z' style adventure (obviously he lifted the swimming scene from this concept), and the way the first Evil Dead, is basically 40 minutes of slow set-up and then all hell breaks loose and doesn't let up until the end. Too bad, the filmmakers couldn't match that intensity on screen.

SpreadEagleBeagle

After watching both seasons of Stranger Things I would have to say that the Duffer Borthers would be a great choice if you want to make a competent throw-back Alien movie in the vein of ALIENS in all its 80ies glory. Ironically enough I actually think that the Duffers would do it better than Cameron himself.

I'm personally not jittery at all about another Colonial Marines infested Alien movie, but I know that a huge portion of the fan base, as well as all the gamers and those nostalgia 80s movie freaks out there, would sacrifice a limb to get that ALIENS 2 movie they never got. At some point it's going to happen and when it happens it should be helmed by people like the Duffer Bros. Stranger Things is almost like a ode to ALIENS (and ALIEN) in many ways.

farsightblogger

I think Villenueve would be my choice, and let him make a slow-burn movie with the aplomb that he made Blade Runner 2049. give it that sheer atmosphere and focus on who, not what.

Or how about a streaming service; HBO, Netflix, Amazon? They allow some creative freedom, from what I understand, and a 10-part show with no limitations or movie rating concerns might give the franchise a shot in the heart.

newbeing

newbeing

Quote from: farsightblogger on Jan 08, 2018, 04:16:11 PM
I think Villenueve would be my choice, and let him make a slow-burn movie with the aplomb that he made Blade Runner 2049. give it that sheer atmosphere and focus on who, not what.

Or how about a streaming service; HBO, Netflix, Amazon? They allow some creative freedom, from what I understand, and a 10-part show with no limitations or movie rating concerns might give the franchise a shot in the heart.

This is a no brainer to me too. Seriously just look at how he handled Arrival and Blade Runner 2049. He absolutely nailed the low-fi science fiction look and he understands what makes a great story. I'd love to see him take on the next ALIEN film.

Also agree with you that an Alien series has a lot of potential.

D. Compton Ambrose

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jan 06, 2018, 11:36:16 PM
After watching both seasons of Stranger Things I would have to say that the Duffer Borthers would be a great choice if you want to make a competent throw-back Alien movie in the vein of ALIENS in all its 80ies glory. Ironically enough I actually think that the Duffers would do it better than Cameron himself.

I'm personally not jittery at all about another Colonial Marines infested Alien movie, but I know that a huge portion of the fan base, as well as all the gamers and those nostalgia 80s movie freaks out there, would sacrifice a limb to get that ALIENS 2 movie they never got. At some point it's going to happen and when it happens it should be helmed by people like the Duffer Bros. Stranger Things is almost like a ode to ALIENS (and ALIEN) in many ways.

I would agree with the Duffer Bros. I also agree with you it shouldn't be centered around the marines as much as Aliens was, that could be treated and respected as the crescendo of their intro as it were, but bring them back in a more background role - secondary to the Xenomorph. That is the main character - so to speak. The main protagonist, on the other hand, shouldn't be a marine. Maybe a sailor/spacer engineer.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: newbeing on Jan 08, 2018, 04:21:32 PM

This is a no brainer to me too. Seriously just look at how he handled Arrival and Blade Runner 2049. He absolutely nailed the low-fi science fiction look and he understands what makes a great story. I'd love to see him take on the next ALIEN film.

I would jump at the idea of Denis Villeneuve but I suspect he is interested in making films right now and it may be hard to lure him.
A streaming service seems even MORE LIKELY now that DISNEY is starting their own and pulling stuff from NETFLIX. They will no doubt want to compete with NETFLIX series' like STRANGER THINGS, and now they have the properties, like Alien, to do so.

My ideal situation, is to have Scott wrap up this prequel series with one more simple film while Disney reboots the fully expanded universe as a series. ACM, Android apartheid, Engineers, W-Y, Neomorphs, Black Goo, LV223, LV426, Planet 4, etc etc. There is a lot to work with at this point.

farsightblogger

Quote from: CainsSon on Jan 14, 2018, 04:47:02 PM
Quote from: newbeing on Jan 08, 2018, 04:21:32 PM

I would jump at the idea of Denis Villeneuve but I suspect he is interested in making films right now and it may be hard to lure him.
A streaming service seems even MORE LIKELY now that DISNEY is starting their own and pulling stuff from NETFLIX. They will no doubt want to compete with NETFLIX series' like STRANGER THINGS, and now they have the properties, like Alien, to do so.

My ideal situation, is to have Scott wrap up this prequel series with one more simple film while Disney reboots the fully expanded universe as a series. ACM, Android apartheid, Engineers, W-Y, Neomorphs, Black Goo, LV223, LV426, Planet 4, etc etc. There is a lot to work with at this point.

I think letting Scott have one more movie to let him tie up his plot threads is a great idea. I'm not 100% on board with the direction Prometheus and Covenant went, but I did like some of the concepts and woud like to see it wrapped up.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Rian Johnson ;D

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Maybe Del Toro, i'd be interested in seeing that.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Ingwar on Jan 14, 2018, 09:49:06 PM
Rian Johnson ;D
I would love to see Obi-Wan and Anakin vs Aliens. Obi-wan moaning about "Aliens, why does it always have to be aliens". Of course Obi and Ani will survive but not after losing an entire corp of storm troopers to the aliens and having to blow up an entire world using the Death Star's proto laser to stop the infestation.

TC

TC

1. Denis Villeneuve.

2. Alfonso Cuaron.

(Maybe 3. Matt Reeves. Not so sure)

TC

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed