Alien fan feeling betrayed by Alien fans

Started by dkwookie, Oct 16, 2017, 09:19:51 PM

Author
Alien fan feeling betrayed by Alien fans (Read 5,342 times)

fiveways

I have little to say but dear Christ not Alex Garland.  His films have more holes in them than Alien Covenant.  Ex-Machina is a f**king mess of a movie that people gloss over for some strange reason and all of his scripts have the exact same pacing right down to an awkward mid-film scene that clumsily propels the last act forward (the drop of blood in the eye in 28 days later and the shitty awful dance scene in Ex-Machina are 2 examples).  Not someone I'd like anywhere near the Alien franchise.

I'd actually at the point where they should just put it on the shelf maybe forever.  It had a decent run financially but artistically has reached the end beyond video games.  As a film series it can fade away quietly.

dkwookie

Quote from: fiveways on Nov 01, 2017, 12:28:13 PM
I have little to say but dear Christ not Alex Garland.  His films have more holes in them than Alien Covenant.  Ex-Machina is a f**king mess of a movie that people gloss over for some strange reason and all of his scripts have the exact same pacing right down to an awkward mid-film scene that clumsily propels the last act forward (the drop of blood in the eye in 28 days later and the shitty awful dance scene in Ex-Machina are 2 examples).  Not someone I'd like anywhere near the Alien franchise.

I'd actually at the point where they should just put it on the shelf maybe forever.  It had a decent run financially but artistically has reached the end beyond video games.  As a film series it can fade away quietly.

I actually bought Alien on iTunes same time as Covenant because they were both remastered to HDR 4K and watched it for the first time in a year or so. I listened to the commentary on Alien and what stuck me as Tom, Harry (in particular) and Veronica didn't really view it as the classic we do. It was just a film. Alien is my number 1 film but I think we fans may be slightly skewed in our viewpoint about its importance. For generation X it's a stone wall classic but for older people it's just a well done B move, as Ridley keeps pointing out. I think that's what he set out to make with Covemant, a well done B movie.
The budget was low for a tent pole, and the vibe I get from the film is pure B movie. Forbidden Planet meets Hammer crazy scientist.

We should lower our expectations for this series I think. And anyway after Blade Runner 2049 tanking and Ridley's new film being torpedoed by all the controversy over one of its leads I don't expect any more sequels for a long time. I predict an Alien remake in 12 years. Just hope I am not around to see it

acidreign

If there's anything internet forums have taught me it's that fans don't know what they want and don't want what they don't know.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed