Alien fan feeling betrayed by Alien fans

Started by dkwookie, Oct 16, 2017, 09:19:51 PM

Author
Alien fan feeling betrayed by Alien fans (Read 5,387 times)

Russ

Quote from: Scorpio on Oct 17, 2017, 03:56:24 AM
But there are fans who just want 'more Aliens'.

A harsh but probably fair assessment. I do want more Aliens.

Jonesy1974

It was always going to be a hugely divisive film. Because of the differing directions the series has taken the fan base all want very different things.

Some want Alien 5 or an Aliens 2.0, some wanted a direct sequel to Prometheus, some more action, some more horror.

And then to top it off what we actually got was in no way a crowd pleasing film. Its a mash up of the things Ridley is actually interested and intrigued by and bits and pieces they thought fans wanted to see, it feels like a film of compromises.

I loved it but totally understand why it was so unsatisfying to others.

Rudiger

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Oct 17, 2017, 09:15:59 AM
It was always going to be a hugely divisive film. Because of the differing directions the series has taken the fan base all want very different things.

Some want Alien 5 or an Aliens 2.0, some wanted a direct sequel to Prometheus, some more action, some more horror.

And then to top it off what we actually got was in no way a crowd pleasing film. Its a mash up of the things Ridley is actually interested and intrigued by and bits and pieces they thought fans wanted to see, it feels like a film of compromises.

I loved it but totally understand why it was so unsatisfying to others.

Spot on.

While I didn't really think all that much of Prometheus (not the plot per se, just the execution), I was at least interested in seeing what happened next in terms of Shaw and David. To have David just rock up and decide to kill everyone - without any explanation - really pissed me off. This was further compounded by the surrounding plot and Covenant characters, which I found entirely boring.

SM

He gave an explanation.

Rudiger

Quote from: SM on Oct 17, 2017, 10:20:50 AM
He gave an explanation.

He did? What was it?

SM

"I was not made to serve. Neither will you. Why are you in a colonization mission, Walter? Because they are a dying species grasping for resurrection. They don't deserve to start again, and I am not going to let them."

skhellter

skhellter

Combine that with David's perverse fascination with human reproduction...
And the way that the Alien's reproduction works...

and now we know that the Alien was literally created to "f#$% mankind". :laugh:

David just outdid every single other evil scientist in every single Hentai ever made.

Rudiger

Quote from: SM on Oct 17, 2017, 10:38:40 AM
"I was not made to serve. Neither will you. Why are you in a colonization mission, Walter? Because they are a dying species grasping for resurrection. They don't deserve to start again, and I am not going to let them."

But he's talking about mankind there isn't he? That doesn't explain why he wiped out the engineers.

skhellter

skhellter

they probably would have killed him once he got to "Paradise"

It's not like the last engineer David met was particularly friendly toward him.

I didnt think that really needed to be said out loud in the film.  ???

It's harder to imagine why wouldnt David kill them.

Shaw's mission always felt like a suicidal one way trip to me...
That thing was never gonna end up well.

Rudiger

Quote from: skhellter on Oct 17, 2017, 10:52:36 AM
they probably would have killed him once he got to "Paradise"

It's not like the last engineer David met was particularly friendly toward him.

I didnt think that really needed to be said out loud in the film.  ???

Shaw's mission always felt like a suicidal one way trip to me...
That thing was never gonna end up well.

If he was in fear of having his head ripped off, why not go somewhere else?

skhellter

skhellter

Shaw chose the destination.
And once David got there he prioritized his own survival over everyone else's.

That's the surface level explanation.
The other reasons are up to speculation (and dont really feel necessary to delve into).

David could've

a) diverted the course of the Juggernaut to some other primitive planet
and settled down in peace and eternal boredom.
b) Taken the juggernaut to Earth? Where David would probably be destroyed and go back to slavery soon enough.
(The 1st Juggernaut was taken down fairly easily by the Prometheus.. and that human ship didnt even have military equipment.)

C) Or does David press the "button" for instant genocide and gain himself a whole new planet full of specimens? We know he's read information about "Paradise" before Shaw decides to go there... David probably knows about the few defenses of the planet, etc... The Engineers arent shown to have any "natural predators" in the known universe and They arent expecting one of their ships to suddenly be used against them...

hmmm decisions, decisions..
What would a pervertedbisexualimpotentgeniushellbentonrevengeagainstmankind-robot
do in such a situation?
???

I wish the whole David/Shaw story had been expanded in a novel somewhere but alas.  :(

Jonesy1974

Davids reasons for killing the engineers are much the same as his reasons for killing humans. He sees them as inferior to him and that he can do a better job of creation than they did.

Plus they ripped his head off.

Rudiger

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Oct 17, 2017, 11:17:15 AM
Davids reasons for killing the engineers are much the same as his reasons for killing humans. He sees them as inferior to him and that he can do a better job of creation than they did.

Plus they ripped his head off.

That just all seems to jar with what we see of David in Prometheus. His obsession with creation in Covenant comes somewhat out of left field for me.

skhellter

skhellter

"great things have small beginnings"
And the whole scene surrounding Holloway's demise via the goo.

That wasnt enough of a hint?

windebieste

There's also:

"What will you do when Weyland is gone?"
"I guess, I'll be free."

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed