Who feels ripped off??

Started by predator2rules, Sep 12, 2017, 09:03:22 AM

Author
Who feels ripped off?? (Read 5,763 times)

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Can't feel ripped off if you go in expecting the worst  ;)

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Sep 12, 2017, 09:05:15 AM
Many people do, just not here. Here people adore the fact that the alien in Alien is not an alien.

You certainly don't speak for the majority here pal.

A-L-I-E-N

A-L-I-E-N

Maybe someone will retcon the whole thing and we'll see an Alien: Genocide movie  :)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I felt ripped off five years ago with prometheus- this is nothing worse

Mustangjeff

Mustangjeff

I initially hated the idea, but now I'm too apathetic to care.

Hamster1066

Hamster1066

Quote from: Hide on Sep 12, 2017, 09:56:43 AM

Look what the biggest movie of all time is...

A rip-off of Pocahontas fused with Apocalypse Now, staring big blue felines.

A ridiculous idea made extremely well.

Good God no. It's awful.

BlackMatter169

BlackMatter169

On the surface I definitely feel ripped off. I can't watch the original films without "David made them" echoing in the back of my mind.

However, I also feel that it has more to do with how the idea of David creating the xenomorph was executed rather than the basic idea itself. I think that, had the movie actually had someone with a working brain cell behind it, the idea could have worked extremely well.

The problem is that it didn't. It sucks because the movie itself sucks.

P-Rock

P-Rock

Nope, I really like Covenant.

tleilaxu

tleilaxu

I've never had an interest in the extended universe (apart from playing AvP Extinction) so I never built up an extensive head-canon which means no, I don't feel ripped off, but I can see why some people might feel that way. To me the Xeno always looked like something that had been contrived, right down to the biomechanical appearance, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest that an android made them out of pre-existing technology.

Scorpio

Scorpio

What does the EU say about the origin of the xenomorphs, anyway?

SM

SM

Nowt.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

I don't see what the fuss is about.
It's either created by another lifeform, on purpose or by accident.
Or it's made by nature. And then it's just a space bug.

So an artificial lifeform in the shape of an android turned mad scientist/artist being responsible, ain't that bad imo.
Ofcourse the Engineers would've made more sense. But then it might just have been a less complicated black goo creation.

Too bad they didn't incorporate Advent, more drawings and the stories behind them in the movie.
I find the whole creation process mentioned in the writings pretty cool. Seeing how David took qualities from different species, combined them, studied the results, tweaked them,...

monkeylove

monkeylove

If the term refers to theft, then probably not. But I think the point is that the franchise focused on the alien and how to stop it rather than its origins. Given that, any prequel would obviously not do the same.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Sep 30, 2017, 05:22:50 AM
I don't see what the fuss is about.
It's either created by another lifeform, on purpose or by accident.
Or it's made by nature. And then it's just a space bug.

So an artificial lifeform in the shape of an android turned mad scientist/artist being responsible, ain't that bad imo.
Ofcourse the Engineers would've made more sense. But then it might just have been a less complicated black goo creation.

Too bad they didn't incorporate Advent, more drawings and the stories behind them in the movie.
I find the whole creation process mentioned in the writings pretty cool. Seeing how David took qualities from different species, combined them, studied the results, tweaked them,...

It makes the universe smaller, that's the basics of it.

windebieste

windebieste

The 'ALIEN' Universe has been expanded tenfold well outside of Ripley runnin' 'round shootin' stuff.  Which is where it was getting bogged down in the legacy of 'ALIENS'

'PROMETHEUS' broke the series away from those restraining shackles.  'ALIEN: Covenant' gave it the freedom to launch into new directions and territory that has never been explored before and you say the Universe is smaller?

If the Universe has become so small, then anyone supporting that claim should be able to telegraph exactly what's going to happen next - and be 100% correct.

Nope.  That's not gonna happen simply because the 'ALIEN' Universe has been blown wide open with more room to grow well outside of the cliched confines of USCM vs Xenos that so many conservative fans think it should be trapped in.

These movies are great! 

I can tell you what a reduced 'ALIEN' Universe would be like... Blomkamp's 'ALIEN 5'.  C'mon.  No expansion there.  Just more Ripley...  A Universe so small, it was going to be dominated once again by the same values, ad nauseum. 

Thank God the 'ALIEN' Universe has expanded well beyond that tired scenario.

-Windebieste.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Highland on Sep 30, 2017, 05:50:49 AMIt makes the universe smaller, that's the basics of it.

You mean because the mystery's gone and there are now no more different possible origins?

Quote from: windebieste on Sep 30, 2017, 06:02:49 AMI can tell you what a reduced 'ALIEN' Universe would be like... Blomkamp's 'ALIEN 5'.  C'mon.  No expansion there.  Just more Ripley...  A Universe so small, it was going to be dominated once again by the same values, ad nauseum. 

Thank God the 'ALIEN' Universe has expanded well beyond that tired scenario.

-Windebieste.

Even though I prefer more of the different direction, I'd love to see Blomkamp's take on Aliens.
Maybe he'd expand the Weyland-Yutani Company and show us more of them.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed