A solution for the future of the Alien franchise.

Started by Baron Von Marlon, Aug 07, 2017, 10:22:00 PM

Author
A solution for the future of the Alien franchise. (Read 17,975 times)

Alionic

Quote from: Highland on Aug 08, 2017, 02:20:33 PM
Quote from: Scorpio on Aug 08, 2017, 11:27:42 AM
Quote from: bb-15 on Aug 08, 2017, 10:26:48 AM

Verhoven did Starship Troopers but that was a satire.

Space Marines only work as satire, or a cheap b movie.  Even Aliens was trying to be a Vietnam movie.  Nobody wants to see a movie about gung-ho American militarism, even in the future.

It's a juvenile fantasy, best left to video games and comic books.

If Ridley Scott made Black Hawk down, put six Aliens in it and made it LV463 instead of Mogadishu you'd be all over it talking about the "layers" and getting +1'd from Gash and Salt the Fries.

Why are you relying on (bad) hypotheticals now?

Highland

Quote from: Alionic on Aug 08, 2017, 10:50:18 PM

Space Marines only work as satire, or a cheap b movie.  Even Aliens was trying to be a Vietnam movie.  Nobody wants to see a movie about gung-ho American militarism, even in the future.

If Ridley Scott made Black Hawk down, put six Aliens in it and made it LV463 instead of Mogadishu you'd be all over it talking about the "layers" and getting +1'd from Gash and Salt the Fries.

I'm not relying on anything, I'm sick of people on this site saying brainless things constantly about Space Marines because they've got a hardon for Alien Covenant and black goo. Many directors would be well capable of telling a war story involving soldiers that's not cigar smoking Americans wanting to shoot stuff up.

windebieste

Ridley Scott, for one.

-Windebieste.

Highland

Scorpio

I would love a Black Hawk Down style Colonial Marines movie directed by Ridley Scott.

windebieste

Honestly, that's where I believe he's heading. 

-Windebieste.

Corporal Hicks

Which I find a little surprising considering the way he seems to speak with dislike about the inclusion of action in the Alien films.

newagescamartist

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 10, 2017, 08:30:37 AM
Which I find a little surprising considering the way he seems to speak with dislike about the inclusion of action in the Alien films.

It's not that surprising. Prometheus and Covenant had their fair share of action, and he mentioned a "War of the Worlds" movie for the next installment. Ridley knows what he's doing. We might miss out on the best action movie in the series because people were so negative about Covenant. I wonder if that irony is getting lost on anyone.

Corporal Hicks

Which I also find surprising. He talks with such seeming dislike for the action direction some of the later films took but does it himself.

Quote from: newagescamartist on Aug 10, 2017, 08:37:40 AM
We might miss out on the best action movie in the series because people were so negative about Covenant. I wonder if that irony is getting lost on anyone.

I think that's might be a little premature. I was frustrated by Prometheus but I was willing to give Covenant a go and be excited for it. While I enjoyed Covenant for the most part, I really dislike the direction Ridley has taken the series. I'd happily skip him doing another film.

newagescamartist

newagescamartist

Quote from: Highland on Aug 09, 2017, 01:27:06 AM

I'm not relying on anything, I'm sick of people on this site saying brainless things constantly about Space Marines because they've got a hardon for Alien Covenant and black goo. Many directors would be well capable of telling a war story involving soldiers that's not cigar smoking Americans wanting to shoot stuff up.

I've got a hardon for black goo and philosophy, but I also love Aliens to death. I think it's getting quite tiresome also, all this pulse rifle/marine hyperbole stuff. Aliens worked because of the story, characters, and plot. It wasn't because of pulse rifles and marines, and I wish people would stop saying that. The characters happened to be marines, but Hicks, Hudson, Vasquez and the rest of the crew were amazing characters. That's good script writing and good dialogue. I think a lot of people forget how amazing the script is for that film.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 10, 2017, 08:41:42 AM
Which I also find surprising. He talks with such seeming dislike for the action direction some of the later films took but does it himself.

Quote from: newagescamartist on Aug 10, 2017, 08:37:40 AM
We might miss out on the best action movie in the series because people were so negative about Covenant. I wonder if that irony is getting lost on anyone.

I think that's might be a little premature. I was frustrated by Prometheus but I was willing to give Covenant a go and be excited for it. While I enjoyed Covenant for the most part, I really dislike the direction Ridley has taken the series. I'd happily skip him doing another film.

I really think Fox would be making a mistake to just end with Covenant. Ridley says he wants an action movie next, and I think that's what a lot of fans want also. I'd much rather see an action packed Scott film than a complete reboot, because I'm guessing Fox is having conflicting thoughts about where the franchise should go:

1. Finish Covenant's cliffhanger
2. Reboot the entire franchise
3. Get Sigourney to sign off on Alien 5

Which would make them more money at this point? It's a tough call, but if they leave Covenant hanging and go with a reboot or a retcon I think some fans might turn their backs. Reboot/retcon after the Prometheus trilogy is finished would be my opinion, but it's really like just picking a name out of a hat because I don't think this franchise is ever going to be as profitable as Fox thinks it should be.

Corporal Hicks

For what it's worth, from my own interactions with Fox I don't think they're close to a franchise reboot at the moment (thank God).

I get what you're saying about the lose thread, but I'd rather avoid Ridley bringing more of his influence to the over-all Alien story. I'd rather we just abandon that angle and go for a soft reboot.

Rudiger

Biggest mistake they made was trying to square the circle. I get Scott's desire to follow the space jockey rather than the xenomorph going forward, but they've rather backed themselves into a corner story wise. They should have gone off in a completely new direction with full creative freedom and left the original space jockey alone.

Highland

A reboot can happen with the third Scott movie made regardless. I think not finishing it off would piss me off even more than the tinkering of the lore. They want us to sit through four hours of cliff hangers then not give us ending? Great job.

Makes it look like an even bigger mess.

Alionic

Quote from: Highland on Aug 09, 2017, 01:27:06 AM

I'm not relying on anything, I'm sick of people on this site saying brainless things constantly about Space Marines because they've got a hardon for Alien Covenant and black goo.

...this forum, and youtubers alike, overwhelmingly shares your hatred of Prometheus and Covenant (at least vocally). Not sure what you're worked up about here.

Highland

I don't hate either movie. That's not what I said.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed