Work on the Sequels Stopped?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 18, 2017, 11:49:17 AM

Author
Work on the Sequels Stopped? (Read 148,831 times)

Gash

Gash

If, as suggested further upthread, they are Blomkamp enthusiasts who hated Covenant, it wouldn't surprise if they are just trying to start negative rumours as a tit for tat gesture. That's typical butt hurt behaviour. Sour grapes.

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Jul 18, 2017, 02:19:07 PM
I don't buy this at all. Wouldn't have thought they would make any decisions until after the Japan release anyway.

Certainly not before the Blu Ray either.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: Gash on Jul 18, 2017, 03:29:53 PM
If, as suggested further upthread, they are Blomkamp enthusiasts who hated Covenant, it wouldn't surprise if they are just trying to start negative rumours as a tit for tat gesture. That's typical butt hurt behaviour. Sour grapes.

Well, there has been a lot of sour grapes so it's worth noting that people fill in a lot of blanks to hear what they want.
I'm not saying Covenant was exactly what I wanted but people are acting like they are owed something, like Fox should be making the film for them, with no regard for the business model of filmmaking. Its great that you're a fan, but that's not enough to sell a 100mil$ movie. Sorry kids.
I feel its been kinda childish to the point where Ive lost interest in listening.

Covenant was actually an attempt to make an odd sci-fi film, also marketable. It should be noted that Scott didn't listen as much as he did. An argument can be made that it would have been better received if he had listened less and made PROMETHEUS 2.

That said, it makes perfect sense that after COVENANT's reception they would halt work and rethink. I don't think that implies there will be no future sequels. It just means they are rightfully reconvening and reconsidering.

Something I think people overlook about Covenant is that it's the only film since the original Alien that left things pretty open for writers, which if you ask me, has been a detrimental mistake for this franchise in the past. They can really go anywhere with it, after this.

Until FOX says their will be no future films in any capacity (which is massively unlikely), I think this is just them wisely reconsidering, and saying "Ok. Let's not rush. This last one wasnt so well received," mired by some degree of confirmation bias, based on the info.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

According to a recent statement by Fred Baron (a 20th Century Fox executive), it is still uncertain whether there will a sequel to Covenant.

Therefore it makes sense that they have stopped all work on the sequels for now, no?

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

It would be such a shame if this story didn't get finished, but on the other hand, this is a lesson on why the studios should stop with the trilogy baiting. Just tell a complete story in one film rather than mapping out three or four or five before one comes out.

Evanus

Evanus

I don't really believe these guys. But I can see it happen.

Corporal Hicks

Tone it down on the denial = hatred crap please. I know these guys have contacts and I've never known them to push any sort of sensationalization for hits or anything like that. They're not Scified. Also, there's a difference between speculation and "our sources tell us".

You guys should know by now I'll speak out if I think or know something is a load of shit. While I haven't heard anything about this myself, I know these guys and I'm very aware they do have legitimate inside contacts.

So can we show a little a respect, please.

juxtapose

juxtapose

oh well. .i have programmed my brain for the worst case scenario. .and if no more aliens then so be it. .i still have a glimmer of hope left. .thank god i am working full time again and i don't have time to obsess about stuff like this. .i am just really happy that we got covenant at least. .who knows what the future might bring. .time will tell. .

0321recon

0321recon

Quote from: juxtapose on Jul 18, 2017, 06:53:30 PM
oh well. .i have programmed my brain for the worst case scenario. .and if no more aliens then so be it. .i still have a glimmer of hope left. .thank god i am working full time again and i don't have time to obsess about stuff like this. .i am just really happy that we got covenant at least. .who knows what the future might bring. .time will tell. .

Well said.

juxtapose

juxtapose

Quote from: 0321recon on Jul 18, 2017, 06:57:34 PM

Well said.
thanks. .but i sound like i am resigning all hope. .ofcause i will be the first to pop the champagne if they do officialy anounce a sequel. .not counting on that anymore tho. .sniff. .sob. .

echobbase79

echobbase79

I'm not surprised at all by this. These guys make a lot of good points about how Fox needs to rethink this franchise as a whole. I liked Daniels, but she's rather a forgettable character at the end of the movie. I didn't buy her as an action hero.

Maybe we'll get a novel that continues this storyline. I can live with that.

Evanus

Evanus

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 18, 2017, 06:22:58 PM
Tone it down on the denial = hatred crap please. I know these guys have contacts and I've never known them to push any sort of sensationalization for hits or anything like that. They're not Scified. Also, there's a difference between speculation and "our sources tell us".

You guys should know by now I'll speak out if I think or know something is a load of shit. While I haven't heard anything about this myself, I know these guys and I'm very aware they do have legitimate inside contacts.

So can we show a little a respect, please.
Well then.. I guess we'll have to wait a long time. Or it simply won't come.  :'(

Protozoid

Protozoid

There is a difference between stopping work and cancelling altogether. My guess is that the Logan script is a no-go in its present form, and a rewrite would mean spending more money. Right now, the money isn't flowing. Once Scott gets bored and moves on, they will start taking pitches and a new Alien movie will come along in 5-10 years.

tleilaxu

tleilaxu

Quote from: Gash on Jul 18, 2017, 03:24:26 PM
Quote from: Richman678 on Jul 18, 2017, 12:52:44 PM
The fan reactions to Covenant have been overwhelmingly negative.

Just a loud minority, as usual. Reaction was overwhelmingly positive until the US release as I recall. Then all the click bait Youtube reviews started their ranting. Take the "I needs hits for my channel' gang out of the equation and the negativity is not that substantial.
You're wrong. There's been a massive social media lash-out against Covenant (and supporting Blomkamp). A narrative was succesfully established prior to the movie being released in most places, with all the spoilers leaking and social media posts bashing the movie gaining traction.

I'll be pretty f**king disappointed if there comes no third movie, but then again, IF the series were to end with David regurgitating facehugger embryos to Wagner, that wouldn't be the worst place to end.

Edit: I'm listening to the podcast right now, and despite them sounding like somewhat insufferable Blomkamp fanboys, they bring up an extremely important point: the way the movie was MARKETED. It set up expectations which the movie didn't deliver. It simultaneously gave away too much (backburster, xenomorph head) and too little (the artistic elements).

PierreVW

PierreVW

Quote from: Protozoid on Jul 18, 2017, 08:14:51 PM
There is a difference between stopping work and cancelling altogether. My guess is that the Logan script is a no-go in its present form, and a rewrite would mean spending more money. Right now, the money isn't flowing. Once Scott gets bored and moves on, they will start taking pitches and a new Alien movie will come along in 5-10 years.

I think COVENANT 2 is post-poned. Not cancelled.

Ridley Scott is directing THE CARTEL(2018) and BATTLE OF BRITAIN(2019).

Maybe COVENANT 2 for 2020.

T Dog

T Dog

Calling it now. Theyll continue the series on television.

I for one wouldnt find a show about greasy, power hungryWeyland/Yutani suits.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed