As a lifelong Alien fan, here are my thoughts on a reboot (don't be mad ;) ...

Started by robcherman, Jul 06, 2017, 09:49:30 PM

Author
As a lifelong Alien fan, here are my thoughts on a reboot (don't be mad ;) ... (Read 2,984 times)

robcherman

Hi guys,

I know most folks these days just detest rebooting classic films but I can see Alien being one of those films that just *might* work well with a reboot. I'm a super fan so hopefully I nailed some of the core elements here. Here are a couple thoughts I had:

1) Go back to the claustrophobic, industrial feel of the original trilogy. One of these issues I have with Prometheus and A:C is that these folks are using technology far more advanced than what we got in the first installment. Granted I can see the frame of thought in using more current technology so the newer films don't seem overly retro, but all of the LCD/LED monitors and holographic technology is a bit too "avatar-ish" for me and I thought the 80's computer-style fit the original film well, especially in scenes with MUTHR and the main "contact room".

2) THE ALIEN IS NOT A RAPTOR. I remember RS saying a few years ago he thought the "big guy" was played out and no one would find him scary any more because too much of him has been seen, yet he continues on a path of showing the creature in broad daylight with some (imo) VERY questionable CGI. I want to see the human-esque, bio-mechanical monster lurking in the shadows. I get CGI is cheaper, but when you look at the box office losses for A:C one might go back and wonder if practical effects might have made all the difference thus driving more crowds to the theatre.

3) Focus on an impregnated female crew member instead of male. I get that it's far more disturbing to see women in pain but thats the whole point of this creature. It has no morals, no ethics and no feelings for who it hurts. I love the distress John Hurt goes through and you can obviously tell he's suffering before the creature is born. I want to see a strong female actress really play that part out. Not a 5-second Oram burster, but a slow burn that really makes you feel for the loss of the character. A:C came close IMO with Ledward, but once again the CGI ruined that scene for me.

4) I would like to see other aspects of the creature described such as how it sounds, smells, etc... I think I read RS saying something along the lines of feeling that big chap must have smelled just terrible, or at least produced a very recognizable and pungent odor. It's not just the resin slime that could give it away to the audience, utilize other ways this creature affects our senses.

5) KILL EVERYONE! I strongly believe that RS never meant for Ripley to be the iconic character that she has become (driven largely by SW) and in this time of lacking actors and actresses, I would say just kill everyone in a way that you just don't see coming. I'm not a script writer but some kind of twist that gives everyone a toe tag would really drive home how dark and hopeless encountering the alien is. I love the so-called alternate ending of the original where the alien kills Ripley and then mimics her voice to sign off. Imagine how f**king creepy that would be if done right. You don't even need to see the Alien, just the voiceover as the ship hurtles into space would be enough.

A director like Fede Alvarez would be f**kING perfect for this. If anyone has seen the Evil Dead remake, as well as Don't Breathe that man knows how to create a terrifying environment.

Anyways, let me know what you guys think. Thanks for taking the time to read!!!!

Elmazalman

3) We've already seen a female colonist giving birth in ALIENS, along with Ripley's nightmare at the film's beginning. I know that doesn't count but that did have a great build-up to it.

4) I have brought this up in the past, the creature's powerful odour should be another indicator of it's presence to potential victims.

NeoXenoPred

1) Okay man, weshould return to the retro futuristic set

2) The Alien should be stalking in the shadow like you
said.

3) There are already in Aliens. Ripley also impregnated.

4) This idea should be brought up. This should be like
the Runner's vision but with some modification

5) If you kill everyone it would be unique. Heck Ripley also scripted to die, but BW and Fox don't like it so they concluded that Ripley's must survive. I'm good with this one.

Scorpio

Why retro?  When the original film was trying to be futuristic (for 1979).  All scifi becomes retro given time, anyway.

SM

Why does this require a reboot?

PierreVW

Quote from: robcherman on Jul 06, 2017, 09:49:30 PM
Hi guys,

I know most folks these days just detest rebooting classic films but I can see Alien being one of those films that just *might* work well with a reboot. I'm a super fan so hopefully I nailed some of the core elements here. Here are a couple thoughts I had:

1) Go back to the claustrophobic, industrial feel of the original trilogy. One of these issues I have with Prometheus and A:C is that these folks are using technology far more advanced than what we got in the first installment. Granted I can see the frame of thought in using more current technology so the newer films don't seem overly retro, but all of the LCD/LED monitors and holographic technology is a bit too "avatar-ish" for me and I thought the 80's computer-style fit the original film well, especially in scenes with MUTHR and the main "contact room".

2) THE ALIEN IS NOT A RAPTOR. I remember RS saying a few years ago he thought the "big guy" was played out and no one would find him scary any more because too much of him has been seen, yet he continues on a path of showing the creature in broad daylight with some (imo) VERY questionable CGI. I want to see the human-esque, bio-mechanical monster lurking in the shadows. I get CGI is cheaper, but when you look at the box office losses for A:C one might go back and wonder if practical effects might have made all the difference thus driving more crowds to the theatre.

3) Focus on an impregnated female crew member instead of male. I get that it's far more disturbing to see women in pain but thats the whole point of this creature. It has no morals, no ethics and no feelings for who it hurts. I love the distress John Hurt goes through and you can obviously tell he's suffering before the creature is born. I want to see a strong female actress really play that part out. Not a 5-second Oram burster, but a slow burn that really makes you feel for the loss of the character. A:C came close IMO with Ledward, but once again the CGI ruined that scene for me.

4) I would like to see other aspects of the creature described such as how it sounds, smells, etc... I think I read RS saying something along the lines of feeling that big chap must have smelled just terrible, or at least produced a very recognizable and pungent odor. It's not just the resin slime that could give it away to the audience, utilize other ways this creature affects our senses.

5) KILL EVERYONE! I strongly believe that RS never meant for Ripley to be the iconic character that she has become (driven largely by SW) and in this time of lacking actors and actresses, I would say just kill everyone in a way that you just don't see coming. I'm not a script writer but some kind of twist that gives everyone a toe tag would really drive home how dark and hopeless encountering the alien is. I love the so-called alternate ending of the original where the alien kills Ripley and then mimics her voice to sign off. Imagine how f**king creepy that would be if done right. You don't even need to see the Alien, just the voiceover as the ship hurtles into space would be enough.

A director like Fede Alvarez would be f**kING perfect for this. If anyone has seen the Evil Dead remake, as well as Don't Breathe that man knows how to create a terrifying environment.

Anyways, let me know what you guys think. Thanks for taking the time to read!!!!

It's a really bad idea.

No reboot is successful these days. Especially if the first one was a masterpiece like ALIEN.

Remember the failure of the reboots of FREDDY KRUEGER, FRIDAY 13TH, HALLOWEEN, etc....

SM

Batman, Star Trek, and Planet Of The Apes were successful.

NeoXenoPred

Retro futuristic if i say for Alien 1979. Oh and some reboot are good, like Peter Jackson's King Kong or Batman. Not all reboot bad, but most do like Friday the 13th or Halloween.

Hemi

Quote from: SM on Jul 07, 2017, 03:46:04 AM
Batman, Star Trek, and Planet Of The Apes were successful.

And the recent Spiderman apparently (haven't seen it). That franchise had 2 within 10 years? James Bond still seems to work too. Judge Dredd, X-men First class, Evil Dead (for some), Dawn of the Dead (fck yeah)

And i'm not sure that Friday the 13th is a reboot? I mean...Jason is always at the camp lol.

SM

First Class is another good example.  Dredd, not so much.  Great flick that unfortunately didn't reboot anything.

Hemi

Ah wasn't sure on that one...

But yeah, plenty reboots that worked fine.

Russ

Quote from: SM on Jul 07, 2017, 11:40:05 AM
Dredd, not so much.  Great flick that unfortunately didn't reboot anything.

That soundtrack. It just said "80s movie here for you, guys." Can't understand why it failed.

A reboot of Alien... not for another twenty years, I reckon - well, if they're making what... six new movies, is that right?

But, even if there's only one more after Prometheus and A:C, I can't seem the starting off again any time soon.

I hear what we're saying about Spiderman but I think that Superhero movies lend themselves much more easily to a reboot because in the source they're constantly being rebooted and updated to fit the current zeitgeist aren't they. They just had New 52 for five years or so in DC and now its something else again I believe.

I'm not sure that approach with the Alienverse - though I don't know for sure.

I don't think "the big guy" is played out. Someone mentioned on here about the backburster and how shocking that whole scene would have been.... if they hadn't shot their wad in the trailer.

Personally - I wish they'd remake the first three Star Wars movies. If only to watch the internet create a new singularity. It'd be as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror. And were suddenly silenced.

PierreVW

Quote from: Russ on Jul 07, 2017, 11:59:46 AM
Quote from: SM on Jul 07, 2017, 11:40:05 AM
Dredd, not so much.  Great flick that unfortunately didn't reboot anything.

That soundtrack. It just said "80s movie here for you, guys." Can't understand why it failed.

A reboot of Alien... not for another twenty years, I reckon - well, if they're making what... six new movies, is that right?

But, even if there's only one more after Prometheus and A:C, I can't seem the starting off again any time soon.

I hear what we're saying about Spiderman but I think that Superhero movies lend themselves much more easily to a reboot because in the source they're constantly being rebooted and updated to fit the current zeitgeist aren't they. They just had New 52 for five years or so in DC and now its something else again I believe.

I'm not sure that approach with the Alienverse - though I don't know for sure.

I don't think "the big guy" is played out. Someone mentioned on here about the backburster and how shocking that whole scene would have been.... if they hadn't shot their wad in the trailer.

Personally - I wish they'd remake the first three Star Wars movies. If only to watch the internet create a new singularity. It'd be as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror. And were suddenly silenced.

ALIEN(1979) was a masterpiece of tension and thriller. But people consider the ALIEN franchise as horror. That's why I only talk about Horror franchises.

Superheroes are different. James Bond is different too.

I really doubt an ALIEN remake could work.

LastSurvivor92

Don't reboot it, either finish Ripley 8's story, tie everything up with Ridley's next Alien film or do SOMETHING to give some of this series closure. "Hey, I thought you were dead? Yeah, I get that a lot" I want to see Ridley's next Alien film AND Ripley 8's (Sigourney Weaver's) story wrapped up in full or else whats the point?

Corporal Hicks

I wouldn't want to see a remake (though I wouldn't be surprised if we got one), but I wouldn't mind a soft reboot in the sense that it's still set within the same continuity and it opens its own avenues void of Ripley and away from all the prequel stuff.

The thing is the AvPs and the prequels have tried to go off and do their own things without Ripley and failed. Not because of the lack of Ripley, of course, but all I want from a soft reboot I've already had from the recent films but they haven't done it in a well enough fashion, I don't think. Not a good enough cast, not good enough characters, etc.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed