Final Global Box Office and the likehood of a Sequal?

Started by juxtapose, May 29, 2017, 07:09:11 AM

Author
Final Global Box Office and the likehood of a Sequal? (Read 29,640 times)

Alionic

There are people ITT who are seriously suggesting a PG-13 alien film or TV series as a response to AC's box office numbers. Just shoot me now.

ChrisPachi

There's this concerning trend in horror that I have noticed recently were good horror movies actually perform really well at the box office. ::)

Robopadna

Quote from: That Yellow Alien on May 29, 2017, 11:07:14 PM
All things considered, AC is doing ok, especially considering the competition. There clearly is an audience for Alien movies, but it is a niche audience and always has been.

I think Fox needs to reevaluate the direction of this franchise, spend less, and try to make good, scary creature features. That is what this franchise is about. Start small and build up.

Or, considering the downward trend in theater attendence, they can do an Alien tv series on Netflix or something. I'd be down for that.

It isn't doing well. It just suffered one of the single worst second weekend drop offs in history. It had a god awful opening considering the numbers of theatres it was in. Second most ever for a rated r opening but around 55th largest r opening.

It's having a very bad return.

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

Like I said, all things considered. An Alien movie hasn't been a solid hit since 1986. Add on declining theater attendence, add in an R rating, at in the fact that it is a creature feature, add in the fact that there is an over saturation of movies all vying for your attention.

This Memorial Day weekend was a new low for the movie industry as a whole, so AC isn't the only film underperforming. Unless your Marvel or Star Wars, your movie is a gamble. Frankly it's amazing Alien Covenant has made as much as it had, at least in the U.S.

These movies just need to be made for less and they would be profitable.

AsapJockey

you guys always add the Marketing, well if you do that you gotta add where this movie gets other money from too. ,like Merchandise, Blu-ray sales, lincensing opps, streaming, which in the end, they will make money off us and still win, its just that every movie with a big name is expected to make a billion dollars at this point. It doesn't work that way, I would say the Marketing for this movie was $75 million and has made it's money back, and now just trying to get some profits. Its up to the studio to finish this story, and if they leave it hanging, well that would suck.

Robopadna

Quote from: AsapJockey on May 30, 2017, 01:00:52 AM
you guys always add the Marketing, well if you do that you gotta add where this movie gets other money from too. ,like Merchandise, Blu-ray sales, lincensing opps, streaming, which in the end, they will make money off us and still win, its just that every movie with a big name is expected to make a billion dollars at this point. It doesn't work that way, I would say the Marketing for this movie was $75 million and has made it's money back, and now just trying to get some profits. Its up to the studio to finish this story, and if they leave it hanging, well that would suck.

And there are a ton of costs associated with those things.  Marketing was about 100 for this.

This is a pretty big flop for fox.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

The marketing budget is no where near 100M. In the month leading up to release the studio spent less than 20M on ads and only 5.14M in US ads the week before. I think the marketing budget was at best 40M.

I know I'm in the doom and gloom camp but why should I be surprised, this is an R rated horror gore fest Frankenstein movie. People just don't take their kiddies to see movies like this anymore.

However Alien Covenant should still turn a profit and the bottom line is, something has to fill in the gaps between star wars and marvel. So we should all cheer up a bit. Ridley now needs to stop dancing around the truth and bring back the real alien and real Giger landscape to save this series. While I love both new movies; he's now two prequel films into delivering the wet dream of alien fans everywhere. He needs to put up or shut up with the next film.

BishopShouldGo

Anymore? They never took their kids to these kind of movies PERIOD.

Simply put, this movie was marketed only to hardcore Alien films.

Protozoid

Quote from: whiterabbit on May 30, 2017, 02:05:05 AM
However Alien Covenant should still turn a profit and the bottom line is, something has to fill in the gaps between star wars and marvel. So we should all cheer up a bit. Ridley now needs to stop dancing around the truth and bring back the real alien and real Giger landscape to save this series. While I love both new movies; he's now two prequel films into delivering the wet dream of alien fans everywhere. He needs to put up or shut up with the next film.
Didn't Ridley tell the concept artists not to use Giger's designs because of clearance issues?  Also, if Alien cannot exist without Giger's designs, then it clearly does not have a strong enough story to deserve to continue.  They can deliver a similar aesthetic experience but those designs should be retired forever out of respect of a great artist.

D. Compton Ambrose

Go back to psychological horror. Blood and gore is exceedingly cheesy and bad unless done correctly.

PierreVW

ALIEN was like JAWS.

We saw The Monster Very Few. ALIEN and JAWS was 40 years ago. Everything changed.

I remember ALL of my friends hated the new GODZILLA because we almost never saw Godzilla in the movie.

Audiences changed. People here said: Make ALIEN slow again. That doesn't work these days. Actually Sir Ridley Scott made the right decision making this new ALIEN super fast like these new modern audiences.

Spirit of Fire

Quote from: PierreVW on May 30, 2017, 02:49:51 AM
ALIEN was like JAWS.

We saw The Monster Very Few. ALIEN and JAWS was 40 years ago. Everything changed.

I remember ALL of my friends hated the new GODZILLA because we almost never saw Godzilla in the movie.

Audiences changed. People here said: Make ALIEN slow again. That doesn't work these days. Actually Sir Ridley Scott made the right decision making this new ALIEN super fast like these new modern audiences.

totally agree. The xenos in A:C were scary and ferocious. Very primal. You know they'll rip to shreds.

BonesawT101

Quote from: Robopadna on May 30, 2017, 01:27:28 AM
Quote from: AsapJockey on May 30, 2017, 01:00:52 AM

And there are a ton of costs associated with those things.  Marketing was about 100 for this.

This is a pretty big flop for fox.
Have you got a source for this?

fiveways

Quote from: skhellter on May 29, 2017, 09:15:11 PM
Reboot incoming.

Just let Alex Garland handle it.
Natalie Portman to star.

Dear God no.  I do not understand the Garland love.  Beyond the first 15 minutes of 28 Days Later I've hated everything he's done (the second the drop of blood hits the dude in the eye it turns to shit and all the characters fall apart).  f**king Ex-Machina has more plot holes in it than Prometheus.  Same thing with Sunshine.  Dredd I'll admit was good but it was a really straight by the numbers Judge Dredd adaptation.

Quote from: whiterabbit on May 30, 2017, 02:05:05 AM
The marketing budget is no where near 100M. In the month leading up to release the studio spent less than 20M on ads and only 5.14M in US ads the week before. I think the marketing budget was at best 40M.

I know I'm in the doom and gloom camp but why should I be surprised, this is an R rated horror gore fest Frankenstein movie. People just don't take their kiddies to see movies like this anymore.

That is going to be hard with the budget cut he is going to take on the next film unless Covenant lights the DVD/Blu Ray/streaming rights world on fire.  Fox has X-Men to fill the gap between those franchises (as disney is never gonna get those rights back as long as they make money).  They just need to pump them out on a constant schedule (and probably will as they are gonna have to reboot that entire franchise in the next couple of years).

Highland

Not read this thread but I don't see any threat to the sequel regardless of the numbers. It's not a total bomb, it's Scott, it ends on a cliff hanger, these movies always make coin ( otherwise they'd stop making them).

It'll just be done cheaper.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed