Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 281,903 times)

PierreVW

Quote from: juxtapose on May 25, 2017, 03:42:41 PM
i love the whole science of the box office and budget vs BO and the marketing that has to be taken into account. .from what i have learned. .the basic rule of thumb is that a movie needs to make between 3 to 4 times it.s budget to break even. .seeing as marketing figures are seldomly revealed and generally harder to calculate. .i watched percy jackson and the sea of monsters the other day and kinda enjoyed it mostly for the FX. .a fun popcorn flick. .they were planning a sequal that never happened. .it had more or less the same budget as covenant. .made 202 mil at the box office. .the firts one. .the lightning thieve had a similar budget and made 223 mil. .and i am surprised the second one even got made. .i guess they were hoping for a better BO the second time around. .maybe the first one got excused cause it was the beginning of a new franchise. .it's hard to imagine how either made a profit based on those figures tho. . ??!

I never believe in that theory.

CIVIL WAR(Marvel Disney) costed 400 Millions(budget plus marketing). It made 1.2 Billions at the box office. Everybody said it was a huge success. By that false theory, it only made 3 times so it's a failure.

The same with ALMOST ALL movies in this Planet.

juxtapose

. .400 mil. .jesus. .i thought it was meh. . .or ok better than meh. .but still. .well everyone thought kong was a huge success. .aparently . .not. .it was'nt a failure but not exactly a success either. .suppose it's different for each movie. .but lets say 3 times the budget give or take depending on marketing cost. .

Spidey3121

I refuse to believe that if a studio can't make a profit off a film making 3X it's budget that they'd even both financing the project to begin with. Since Civil War was mention, if you go back to MCU Phase 1, both First Avenger & Thor were treated as success. Thor made 3X it's budget & First Avenger made less than 2.5X it's budget. Marketing costs generally go unreported, but for marquee films such as Civil War, or Batman vs. Superman, a combined budget & marketing cost of $400 mil is likely. Despite that, if you or anyone is suggesting Civil War isn't a success at ~$1.2 bil, you're crazy. Beyond that, said films surely cleaned up on home video.

Anyways, Covenant earned $2.17 mil on Weds for a total of $45.04 mil. Tuesday is almost always the weekday highpoint.

fiveways

Quote from: PierreVW on May 25, 2017, 04:50:51 PM
i love the whole science of the box office and budget vs BO and the marketing that has to be taken into account. .from what i have learned. .the basic rule of thumb is that a movie needs to make between 3 to 4 times it.s budget to break even. .seeing as marketing figures are seldomly revealed and generally harder to calculate. .i watched percy jackson and the sea of monsters the other day and kinda enjoyed it mostly for the FX. .a fun popcorn flick. .they were planning a sequal that never happened. .it had more or less the same budget as covenant. .made 202 mil at the box office. .the firts one. .the lightning thieve had a similar budget and made 223 mil. .and i am surprised the second one even got made. .i guess they were hoping for a better BO the second time around. .maybe the first one got excused cause it was the beginning of a new franchise. .it's hard to imagine how either made a profit based on those figures tho. . ??!

CIVIL WAR(Marvel Disney) costed 400 Millions(budget plus marketing). It made 1.2 Billions at the box office. Everybody said it was a huge success. By that false theory, it only made 3 times so it's a failure.

Profit when all was said and done was even less than that:

http://deadline.com/2017/04/most-profitable-movies-2016-secret-life-of-pets-deadpool-disney-1202060846/

Robopadna

Quote from: PierreVW on May 25, 2017, 04:50:51 PM

I mean you can go ahead and not believe whatever you want but that doesn't mean it isn't true.

The box office isn't everything but it's a lot. Civil war made money though. It took in a profit of 200 domestic and 290 over seas.

gantarat

Spidey3121

Quote from: Spidey3121 on May 25, 2017, 08:57:02 PM
Anyways, Covenant earned $2.17 mil on Weds for a total of $45.04 mil. Tuesday is almost always the weekday highpoint.

Quote from: gantarat on May 26, 2017, 01:52:20 AM
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=alienparadiselost.htm

$2,173,358 on wesnesday.

Dosmestic
$45,041,692

I had you covered a couple posts back  ;)

BishopShouldGo

ME FIRST ME FIRST ALWAYS ME FIRST

gantarat

Quote from: Spidey3121 on May 26, 2017, 01:54:15 AM

$2,173,358 on wesnesday.

Dosmestic
$45,041,692

i skip a lot of post/page when people talk about other movies box office.

dookie

dookie

Quote from: Protozoid on May 24, 2017, 04:55:56 PM
Prometheus did better because it was better, fresher, and had broader appeal.

Covenant is ranking because fewer people want to see an Alien sequel than a standalone SciFi epic by Ridley Scott. Scott should have done Prometheus 2, or The Forever War, or even Blade Runner 2049. Another Alien movie is something that only hardcore Alien fans wanted,the same vocal minority that is trying to skew reality by spamming the internet with their impressions that Prometheus was a bad film that nobody liked. Fox should not listen to the Alien fans any more. There is no gain for them to make the effort. Tom Rothman, Damon Lindelof, andScott were right to take Prometheus in a new direction. They would have saved the franchise if they had continued. Fox effed this up.

Perfectly summed up.

Oh, and the "Aliens vs Colonial Marines" concept is a joke. Good luck with that one. The masses do not want to see that.

Spidey3121

Quote from: gantarat on May 26, 2017, 02:09:23 AM
Quote from: Spidey3121 on May 26, 2017, 01:54:15 AM

$2,173,358 on wesnesday.

Dosmestic
$45,041,692

i skip a lot of post/page when people talk about other movies box office.

Yeah, this thread deviates from course a lot

gantarat

Quote from: dookie on May 26, 2017, 03:47:30 AM
Quote from: Protozoid on May 24, 2017, 04:55:56 PM
Prometheus did better because it was better, fresher, and had broader appeal.

Covenant is ranking because fewer people want to see an Alien sequel than a standalone SciFi epic by Ridley Scott. Scott should have done Prometheus 2, or The Forever War, or even Blade Runner 2049. Another Alien movie is something that only hardcore Alien fans wanted,the same vocal minority that is trying to skew reality by spamming the internet with their impressions that Prometheus was a bad film that nobody liked. Fox should not listen to the Alien fans any more. There is no gain for them to make the effort. Tom Rothman, Damon Lindelof, andScott were right to take Prometheus in a new direction. They would have saved the franchise if they had continued. Fox effed this up.

Perfectly summed up.

Oh, and the "Aliens vs Colonial Marines" concept is a joke. Good luck with that one. The masses do not want to see that.

you probably never read/play any aliens game/comic/novel

game is pretty bad but trailer f...king awesome !

Kane's other son

No, I don't want a junk food movie of tough guys in space shooting at big bugs. Or a septuagenarian Sigourney Weaver running around dark corridors. Very few people do.

gantarat

Few ?

cucuchu

Quote from: Kane's other son on May 26, 2017, 11:51:42 AM
No, I don't want a junk food movie of tough guys in space shooting at big bugs. Or a septuagenarian Sigourney Weaver running around dark corridors. Very few people do.

A colonial marines movie does not have to be as you described. I am not saying it's for everyone either. An alien film featuring colonial marines taking the threat seriously and making smart decisions and then depicting the aliens as not just bugs would be something I might like.

Imagine a competent officer in charge with competent NCO's to carry out his commands. Put some big name actors in there that people care about. They make smart decisions but even then once they meet the threat, the aliens are extremely intelligent and with all their fire power and training they only take out one alien (maybe), then they back out to request back up, command chain links are broken due to casualties, etc. Throw in some horrific exposition in there about the xeno, maintain their integrity, and don't allow them to be cannon fodder. Make it look like the colonial marines have literally no chance to even survive this, much less deal with the threat.

Point is, it can be a story well told without macho dudes exploding xeno heads with their space rifles. It can just annotate that even the best, most highly trained elite of the elite "warriors" of our species are just cattle for the slaughter against the xeno. Of course this means making the xeno much more intelligent than the Covenant xeno, or we will have marines throwing a chicken leg out the air lock and the xeno will jump to its death to eat it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed