Peter Wylands hair

Started by hollypops, May 02, 2017, 03:02:52 PM

Author
Peter Wylands hair (Read 2,717 times)

hollypops

hollypops

Ok it occured to me if Wyland was so obsessed about retaining his youth and life that he spent a trillion to fund the Prometheus mission to go to the other side of the galaxy.
However does it not seem somewhat strange that he would not have dropped a few thousand on a hair transplant or even a decent wig!

It would have taken years off him!

Some how it just seems like really bad costume and make up design but I suppose why break the trend this is Prometheus after all.
Lets give campain to have a new edition with CGI hair- a Mr Wyland a full thatch edition  :laugh:

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

If you compare how Max von Sydow was aged in The Exorcist 46 years ago or the way Tim Burton implemented prosthetics to make Martin Landau look like Bela Lugosii in Ed Wood...Oh my god.

Guy Pearce was really, really painful to watch in such an incarnation, both appearance-wise and his acting was also lacking.

hollypops

hollypops

it was just such a bad make up I cringe very time I see it ,it was about as convincing as those under cover make ups Ant & Dec do.
And your totally right about the bad acting not helping the situation.
Grandpa in the Texas chainsaw was way superior too in 74 and that was done with zero budget!
Why was it soooooooo bad?

SM

SM

Never saw an issue with the age makeup for Pearce.

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: hollypops on May 02, 2017, 03:02:52 PM
Ok it occured to me if Wyland was so obsessed about retaining his youth and life that he spent a trillion to fund the Prometheus mission to go to the other side of the galaxy.
However does it not seem somewhat strange that he would not have dropped a few thousand on a hair transplant or even a decent wig!

Because Weyland was 100+ years old and a transplant or wig at that age would look ridiculous.

* For instance there was a famous actor/comedian named Bob Hope who died at 100.
- Here is Hope in his prime.

- Here is Bob Hope at about 100 years old.

At his death (2003) Bob Hope had plenty of money (worth about $150 million).
A hair transplant for a 100 year old bald man who hardly has any hair? Makes no sense.
A wig at 100? Why, to try to look like an ancient Elvis?
That also makes no sense. 

* The Weyland character had the same issues as Hope at 100.
Thinning hair and a body that was falling apart.

For a character that old who has almost no hair, there is no magical fix which would have "taken years off of him".

;)

hollypops

hollypops

Sorry doesn't justify it ,a normal person even a movie star would not travel to the other side of the galaxy for extend their life whereas Weyland was willing to try anything, so it would have made perfect logic that he would have opted for every cosmetic enhancement going .

If he was the type to go old gracefully he would have no such desire to do what he did,
and if he was so comfortable with his appearance how come he didn't give his presentation to the crew
wearing a tartan bathrobe and slippers instead of that aluminium suit that was clearly styled for a younger body?
and you think and a transplant or wig at that age would look ridiculous.

No it was bad character portrayal design.No excuse

SM

SM

Did Prometheus run over your dog?

hollypops

hollypops

If only it had I would have donated the hair to Weylands make up dept :laugh:

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I couldn't decide if you were trolling or not but since everyone was giving you reasonable replies, I thought I'd give the thread a pass. Still not sure. We'll see how it goes.

Personally, for all Prometheus' flaws, I didn't think the old man make-up was an issue. It never looked bad to me.

hollypops

hollypops

Hicks I am in no way trollingl,this is a forum for discussing Prometheus flaws and all and I am sure for alot of people that make up design broke the immersion of various scenes that move
There is always so much focus put on the creature design shortcomings which I dont think are justified as none of of us have ever seen  and never will see an other worldly creature ,so its entirely plausible to have what ever chosen design on screen.
Humans we are all surrounded by - each has their own look/ personality make up, but to build a profile around the megalomaniac Weyland is what we are shown doesn't match

SM

SM

QuoteHicks I am in no way trolling

Then perhaps try something other than incessant moaning.

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: hollypops on May 03, 2017, 10:05:39 AM
Hicks I am in no way trolling,

I'm guessing that Corporal Hicks thought you might be trolling because your claims, which imo are very silly. seem like a joke.
- Another guess of mine is that you aren't familiar with very old people and don't want to see a realistically portrayed 100+ year old on screen.

It is your privilege of course to not want to see a very old person portrayed in a movie.
But is the existence of a 100+ year old character in a film a flaw? Not imo.

Quote from: hollypops on May 03, 2017, 07:59:27 AM...a normal person even a movie star would not travel to the other side of the galaxy for extend their life whereas Weyland was willing to try anything,

You are not understanding what very sick people might do to get help. And very old people at the edge of death like Weyland are by definition very sick.
- Very sick people in our world, especially the very wealthy, have the option go to faith healers, homeopathic practictioners and medicine men/women.

- All Weyland does in the movie is try to go to what he believes is another healer.   
He tells Shaw that he believes the Engineers could be his healer.

QuoteWeyland: You convinced me that if these things made us, then surely they could save us.
Well, save me, anyway.
Shaw: Save you, from what?
Weyland: Death, of course.

This is simiar to what other rich, very sick people have done in our world.
Wealthy people in our world may go to healers from around the globe.
With science fiction this idea is just extended out to a space alien on another planet.

Quote from: hollypops on May 03, 2017, 07:59:27 AM
... so it would have made perfect logic that he would have opted for every cosmetic enhancement going .

Sorry, I don't see the logic in your argument because you don't seem familiar with what really old rich people do (~100 years of age).
Some wealthy person at 100 years old, who is at the edge of death, (like Weyland), is not thinking of wigs or cosmetic surgery.
If their mind is reasonably intact (and will remain intact), they are mainly thinking of any way to survive longer.

If he was the type to go old gracefully he would have no such desire to do what he did,

People who are rich and very old go to all the doctors and treatments, that they think will work.

and if he was so comfortable with his appearance how come he didn't give his presentation to the crew
wearing a tartan bathrobe and slippers

Here you are not paying attention to the photo which I posted.
Again, this is Bob Hope at about 100 years old.

Is Bob Hope wearing a bathrobe? No. He's in a suit and tie.
Bob Hope was not letting himself go. This is what 100 year old people look like (even very rich ones with very good medical care).
Your challenge is to accept that reality which you aren't able to yet.

;)

hollypops

hollypops

"Is Bob Hope wearing a bathrobe? No. He's in a suit and tie.
Bob Hope was not letting himself go. This is what 100 year old people look like (even very rich ones with very good medical care).
Your challenge is to accept that reality which you aren't able to yet. "

Bob Hope was not a megalomaniac who wanted to live forever..No
They went with the stereotypical old man make up design when it didn't suit the character attributes.

"Accept reality "hmmmmmmm,a movie about a spaceship capable of travelling 17.25xLight speed and encounter a big blue bald man and a giant squid. ::)
But somehow the concept of an old guy having hair is preposterous.

Nuff said.

Some of you really are on your high horse about this!
its not as if any of you were the team which were responsible for the bad make up job -or have I spoke too soon? :o

But I suppose another positive way of looking at it is that Weyland called it,as the Gods he found opted for the bald look too  :laugh:
The engineers embraced the lack of hair although it now appears that not all of the engineers had the same level of self confidence with some opting to cover their modesty with the ol baseball cap trick :laugh:

SM

SM

How to win friends and influence people.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Not a groundbreaking opinion here but I thought the make-up was bad. Distractingly so. I think Scott should've abandoned his idea of old man Weyland and had Guy play him middle-aged. He should've been there through the whole movie driving everyone on with his hubris, rather than Lindelof-mystery box stuff. Ah well.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed