Bring back James Cameron!

Started by DerelictShip, Mar 18, 2017, 01:40:52 AM

Author
Bring back James Cameron! (Read 2,304 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: x-M-x on Mar 19, 2017, 01:22:46 PM
(Cameron has become a bit loony and his obsession with oceans and water lol)

Damn Cameron and his groundbreaking, record-setting scientific research that has resulted in the discovery of several new deep-sea species!

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

He's always had a love and respect for the ocean anyway.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

How about Kathryn Bigelow?

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: x-M-x on Mar 19, 2017, 02:01:31 PM
Quote from: SiL on Mar 19, 2017, 01:31:02 PM
Scott liked Aliens.

He likes it, but he wasn't keen on the Queen (from what i heard anyway)

I never said he hated aliens  :P

He says in the Aliens: Illustrated Screenplay (interview with Paul M. Sammon) that the Queen was a "very good idea" and that he liked it.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

You can see some of the blue collar edge which made his earlier films so watchable, starting to peel away in 'The Abyss'. By the time of 'True Lies', his output is getting generic. 'Titanic', while it's a guilty pleasure to watch, is so superficial, it feels like Spielberg could have directed it.

I personally like 'Avatar' and there are glimpses into the Cameron age of yore lightly sprinkled through it (the beginning, in zero gravity, in particular), but this is 'not your daddy's Jim Cameron'.

He's still a f**king genius and true pioneer (both technologically and as a literal adventurer). When you read some articles on him, he really does come across as some possessed, psychopathic version of Elon Musk, with a strange aquatic infatuation. But if he did an entry in the series today, it wouldn't be like 'Aliens' was. He speaks about how changing his diet apparently made a big change in his mental outlook, but I do wonder if those years of being angry gave him added passionate inspiration. Working with him was often described like being in a war zone for good reason.

I mean, who could have predicted that the reunion of HR Giger and Ridley Scott on an 'Alien' sequel would have resulted in 'Prometheus'? Whether or not you like it, it has an undeniably different atmosphere in every way to his earlier effort.

If Cameron, however, suddenly announced he was getting involved (keeping in mind that he recently declared he no longer had an interest in being so), I'd certainly be interested. A return to science-fiction with a deliberately mature horror theme might be just what he needs to return to that glory era. But I know that whatever we'd get wouldn't match up to my teenage day-dreams of what another Cameron-helmed sequel would have been, way back when.

With that said?

I think a story he wrote would be interesting to watch, even if someone else directed.

Inverse Effect

Inverse Effect

Scott liked Aliens.

There's even a slight reference to the Queen in one of the Covenant posters. I'm pretty Sure Scott wouldn't want to dis-regard any of the ideas Cameron developed. Pretty sure they respect each others work they've done on the Alien movies. Even though it started with Scott. And Cameron made one hell of a good sequel.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

I think the only solution for the franchise to find some new bright talent and invest in them. Whether it's someone insane like Nicolas Winding Refn or whoever else, I don't care. Alien always used to seek out hot, new exciting talent, for better or worse. Jean-Pierre Jeunet was very hot when he did Resurrection, and whatever else you can say about that film it is a unique vision from a French oddball. At that point no movie in the franchise was quite like any other. And before anyone says it, I don't think Denis Villeneuve is the answer because he's already doing Blade Runner - it would feel like imitation or crossbreeding for him to come aboard.

However much fun Covenant is or isn't, and it looks like a lot of fun and stylish, I do not think the future of the franchise is old Ridley Scott pumping out a ton of prequels which grind all the mystery out of the alien and the derelict. Nor do I think it is Neill Blomkamp or glorified fanfic. I think Scott or Cameron can be shepherding hands for new talent, but I think it needs to be about new people and new ideas. And no, not Robert Rodriguez or Guillermo del Toro.

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

Agreed with everything. Del Toro doing AvP would've been good but not today's Del Toro. They need to acquire people like Rian Johnson. Fox's choices for Alien 4 were all inspired actually. Cronenberg. Bryan Singer. Peter Jackson. Boyle.

They need to get back into that rhythm once Ridley completes his films. I can't imagine them ever stooping down to an Anderson level again.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: Guts on Apr 05, 2017, 05:01:12 PM
Scott liked Aliens.

There's even a slight reference to the Queen in one of the Covenant posters.

I still don't see it.

Dowly

Dowly

Quote from: Scorpio on Apr 06, 2017, 05:38:03 AM
Scott liked Aliens.

I still don't see it.
Top-center, Queen's crest.

Bad Replicant

Bad Replicant

Quote from: Dowly on Apr 06, 2017, 06:04:05 AM
Quote from: Scorpio on Apr 06, 2017, 05:38:03 AM
Scott liked Aliens.

I still don't see it.
Top-center, Queen's crest.

As well as a few sets of jaws based on hers.

Aliensfanboy

Aliensfanboy

It would be awesome it James makes another Alien film id much rather that than a Avatar sequel

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed