Aliens - HELP! Burke/ Gorman gay issue.

Started by question, Mar 16, 2017, 01:09:34 AM

Author
Aliens - HELP! Burke/ Gorman gay issue. (Read 4,204 times)

question

question

Ok please hear me out, and apologies if this has been mentioned or discussed many times before.

Im currently going through some frustration in regards to a deleted scene that I once saw of Burke and Gorman in bed together after he gets off the 'face time' call with Ripley.

Obviously you see Burke have a sense of concern when he realizes its Ripley on the call and looks around to make sure no one else can be seen in the telephone frame.

Just recently I was watching Aliens with some friends who had never seen it and was convinced that this scene was included in the Special Edition.
It clearly is not.

I called some friends the next day who are much bigger Alien fans than me and expressed my frustration and concerns about this lost scene and no one believes me or even know about it.

I then called my brothers and friends back home in Australia who I know have watched the movie numerous times and so far my 2 brothers, a friend and my sister in law fully remember watching a deleted scene of this account.

Could this be a mandela effect?

I remember watching a special program that showed this scene of Burke in bed with Gorman after Ripley gets off the phone.

The most bizarre thing is that I can't find once single trace of this nor any curiosity about the nature of Burke and Gormans relationship.

The fact that I vividly remember this scene clear as crystal in my head is making me think that maybe its been swiped from the net as it basically demonizes a gay character.

All I know is that 4 humans including myself remember watching a deleted scene of this account and it seems like it doesn't exist.

Anyway, I would love to hear your thoughts about this. I found this forum while on my search for any evidence to show my friends and thought id sign up and ask the fans themselves.

Thanks again for your time

Cheers

from "I swear I'm not crazy"  :)

SM

QuoteCould this be a mandela effect?

Yes.  There is no such scene.  Especially not in a 1980s major studio action scifi film.

Burke is looking at the clock because Ripley is calling him in the middle of the night.

Local Trouble

Quote from: question on Mar 16, 2017, 01:09:34 AM
from "I swear I'm not crazy"  :)

I don't think you're crazy.  You're just from another universe.

question

Thanks for your replies!!!

I really don't want this to be a Mandela effect situation.

Im thinking i will have to send my brothers off to my folks place in Australia and search our old VHS tapes in the garage.

It is just utterly bizarre that we remember this scene clear as crystal. Strange.

SM

They screened the Special Edition of Aliens on TV in 1992 in Australia.  It corrected the continuity error at the end where Ripley takes the flamethrower off the wall, then puts down a pulse rifle and vice versa.  (Then they put the continuity error back when the DVD came out.)

It didn't, however, have Burke and Gorman having a snuggle.

question

Thanks.

What Im thinking of was a special with these scenes shown.

SM

Oh right.

It's not in any script, or the novelisation nor has it ever been mentioned by Cameron when discussing deleted stuff like the Burke cocoon, nor are there any stills.  I've been studying this film for 30 years and this is the first I've heard of it.

I think it's safe to say it doesn't exist.

But if you ever do find it, don't keep it to yourself!

question

question

Must be a Mandela Effect.

Oh well....me,  My brothers, my sister in law and my friend must be crazy.

I will still get them to go hunting in the garage back home  to see if we still have our old tape we recorded from the TV.

..and OF CIOURSE i'll share it.. I'll shout it from the bloody moon if I have to!!!!

I must say.....It so strange as the nature of how I approached this frustration of mine was in a text to both brothers separately , and both responded with (wasn't he in bed with Gorman) or along the lines of that, so it was already registered in their memories  before me questioning if Burkes character was Gay.
So strange.

Anyway  sooo not done with this :) .

Elmazalman

I still have my 1997 recording of ALIENS SE, taped off free-to-air TV, (transferred to DVD-R). It screened on channel 10 in Australia. There is no scene with Burke and Gorman sharing a bed.

question

It was a special on TV and it showed the deleted scene.

Dont bite my head off..... just came here innocently

Local Trouble

What do you remember about the Berenstain Bears?

markweatherill

Quote from: SM on Mar 16, 2017, 01:52:07 AM
QuoteCould this be a mandela effect?

Yes.  There is no such scene.  Especially not in a 1980s major studio action scifi film.

Burke is looking at the clock because Ripley is calling him in the middle of the night.

1. I always thought there was someone with him (but not Lt.Gorman) Surely even the clunkiest of sci-fi phones would have a clock display on it.

2. Has this Burke / Gorman gay relationship been addressed in Aliens fan fiction yet?  ;D

3. LOLAustralia.

whiterabbit

What the hell... no way Jose, if anything is in bed with Burke it had to have been Bishop. Best Buddies forever!~

#BishopDidItforLove

426Buddy

Invoking the mandela effect is so trendy these days.

motherfather

Definitely not a deleted scene. In 80s Hollywood - are you kidding?

People were only just getting accustomed (and in many cases, outraged) with the wooden Steven Carrington in Dynasty.

it took us until pretty much this decade to have credible gay male/female/trans characters in sci-fi. To some extent lesbian characters were tolerated a little earlier because the tv execs liked the idea it played into titilating hetero patriarchal primacy for a while.

I suppose the only plausible scenario in the 80s for Gorman and Hicks sharing a bed, would be because of some military barracks style hazing ritual, or becauae it was military dorm accomodation/bunk shortages sleeping head to toe etc...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed