Why didn't Ripley bring up Special Order 937 at the inquest hearing?

Started by Xenomrph, Mar 07, 2017, 04:20:56 AM

Author
Why didn't Ripley bring up Special Order 937 at the inquest hearing? (Read 6,566 times)

windebieste

I can agree to that to a certain degree - but it doesn't change the outcome of her actions.  It's also only applicable to the theatrical cut.  If it's applicable at all.

-Windebieste.

SiL

Quote from: windebieste on Mar 07, 2017, 12:57:07 PM
IF those facts came out in the inquiry, Ripley could have been tried for murder.   Is that comprehensible to you?
They had enough facts in evidence to try her for murder already: the crew is dead and she set the self-destruct. They had that last part on record. Either they didn't think they could make the case or they tried and failed. Net result is the same.

Is that comprehensible to you?

windebieste

Nope.  You don't know that.

Ripley murdered Dallas.   She's just lucky it didn't come out in the trial.

-Windebieste.

SiL

Quote from: windebieste on Mar 07, 2017, 01:14:45 PM
Don't know what? They say what the flight recorder said: they set down on the planet, took off, Ripley set the self-destruct. These are the facts they have. The crew was alive on take-off, or at least part of it. They were not on the shuttle. Ergo, they died sometime in-between. Which happened to also include the destruction of the ship and the escape of one presumably-mentally-ill woman.

That's plenty to say "Hey, maybe she killed the crew with the self-destruct."

Also murder requires intent. If she blew up the ship without knowing if Dallas or Brett were alive, that's manslaughter, not murder.

windebieste

How did Dallas die?  :P

-Windebieste.

SiL

The inquiry will never know because there's insufficient evidence to prove anything and any good lawyer could defend Ripley even if she admitted to torching him ;D

Valaquen

Quote from: windebieste on Mar 07, 2017, 01:14:45 PM

Ripley murdered Dallas.   She's just lucky it didn't come out in the trial.

-Windebieste.

Aliens wasn't written with the cocoon scene in mind at all. So Ripley never saw Dallas again after he entered the shaft.

BishopShouldGo

Um, beat me to it Valaquen...

Valaquen

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Mar 07, 2017, 04:10:29 PM
Um, beat me to it Valaquen...

If you ain't fast, you're last  :laugh:  8)

Local Trouble

I think that's why he posted a version of the conversation for both the theatrical and director's cut.  However, Ripley could have fudged the truth a bit and admitted that she torched Dallas after finding his (and Brett's) mutilated body.

Is that comprehensible to you?!  >:(

SM

The cocoon scene is non-issue.

Local Trouble

'Cos "So who's laying these eggs?"

SM

Yeah.  It's all part of what Valaquen was talking about.

Local Trouble

What about this?

Quote from: windebieste on Mar 07, 2017, 12:23:25 PM(Theatrical Version)

Weyland Yutani Official: Ripley, please. We have to be thorough.  Let's account for each of the crew members.  We need to know exactly what happened. Let's start with Captain Dallas.

Ellen Ripley:  I don't know.  We - Parker, that is - never found his body.  Just the flamethrower.  I don't really know what happened to Dallas.  The creature must have done something to him.

WYO: But you're not certain?  Is there any way Captain Dallas could have been alive when you detonated the Nostromo?

ER I - I don't know.

WYO: So you could have killed him in that incident.  The official looks around the table and sees some heads moving side to side and stony faces.  One of the officials raises his hand.

WYO2:  Sir, I move that we progress with a motion of prosecution.  1 count of Murder.  Shall we continue?

SM

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed