Mountains of Madness, parallels

Started by NickisSmart, Feb 17, 2017, 03:18:54 PM

Author
Mountains of Madness, parallels (Read 10,482 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: NickisSmart on Feb 19, 2017, 11:31:02 PM
The only fruitless exploration in that film is that of its own ideas.
something we can agree on

Quote from: NickisSmart on Feb 19, 2017, 11:31:02 PM
I could say the same about yours. Doesn't mean it's true, anymore than your claim is. :)
nor will finger-pointing-back, "no, you"-ing; we're all friends here, your current attitude is pointless

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Quote from: Omegamorph on Feb 19, 2017, 11:52:52 PM

nor will finger-pointing-back, "no, you"-ing; we're all friends here, your current attitude is pointless

Last I checked, you were the one making the accusation.  Is there actually a point to your hypocritical needling? If pointless attitudes are the issue, here, take a look at the beam in yours before the mote in mine.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: NickisSmart on Feb 20, 2017, 12:16:15 AM
Last I checked, you were the one making the accusation.  Is there actually a point to your hypocritical needling? If pointless attitudes are the issue, here, take a look at the beam in yours before the mote in mine.
Enough. You are perfectly aware of what I am referring to; if you want to argue further, you can take it to PMs.

Necronomicon II

Getting saucy up in here. Anyway, it's my hope that the engineers are subordinate to a truly Lovecraftian nightmare, even if they simply hint at it.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Primordial gods were in Greek mythology too.  They gave birth to the Titans (ie: Prometheus).

NickisSmart

Quote from: Omegamorph on Feb 20, 2017, 12:26:20 AM
Quote from: NickisSmart on Feb 20, 2017, 12:16:15 AM
Enough. You are perfectly aware of what I am referring to; if you want to argue further, you can take it to PMs.

Oh, am I? Why, because you said so? Sorry, but I have no idea what you're on about. But fair enough. Let's keep it to the PMs. Here, I'd rather talk about Lovecraft.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Nice comparison with Arrival... The Heptapod ship indeed made me think of the saucer ship in the beginning of PROM. I totally agree that Arrival is a better film than PROM at almost every level.

PROM has a lot of potential, but the editing and cut are downright bad and it tried a little bit too hard, resulting in it being a little cheesy in an almost jokey way (the acting feels very lightweight and too "airy", if you know what I mean). The movie has not aged well with me.

Anyways. It would be cool if Del Toro revisited his old MoM project.

cliffhanger

Ultimately, it brings me personally to the following question:

How would you guys feel about an Alien movie directed by Dennis Villeneuve?

Necronomicon II

That'd be killer.

NickisSmart

He's doing the new Blade Runner, isn't he? I guess my opinion on that depends on seeing that film, first. I am not familiar with most of his work, though Sicaro looked pretty gritty, if I recall.

Edit: Oh, he did Prisoners, didn't he? Very, very good movie. I think he could nail down the atmosphere of Lovecraft, for sure. :)

Corporal Hicks

He's got Dune next. I imagine that'll consume a few years of his life.

CainsSon

CainsSon

I think the Black Goo may be similar to the SHAGGOTHS from the Cthulu Mythos, and as 'At The Mountains Of Madness' describes, in 'Prometheus' we are seeing something similar to that story.

From Wikipedia: " By exploring these fantastic structures, the men learn through hieroglyphic murals that the Elder Things first came to Earth shortly after the Moon took form and built their cities with the help of "shoggoths" — biological entities created to perform any task, assume any form, and reflect any thought. There is a hint that all earthly life evolved from cellular material left over from the creation of the shoggoths."

So could the Black Goo be similar to this this leftover cellular material? Or is it just some larger reimagining of what is described in ATMOM? I think what most interesting is the suggestion that the Shaggoths can 'assume any form and reflect any thought.' Perhaps what's happening in Prometheus is the goo is mutating the people who ingest it, based on what they are internally thinking/feeling at the time. For instance, it impregnates Shaw right after they discuss her being unable to have children. Fifield is pretty pissed at the crew of the Prometheus before he is infected, etc. The Enigineer WANTS to sacrifice himself to create life / terraform?

It would be interesting to see the relation to the Xenos be more or less disenfranchised this way. Where the Xeno's themselves and the Engineers / Space Jockey's begin to become these other players in the Cthulu mythos, without much fanfare about it.

Quote from: cliffhanger on Feb 20, 2017, 10:21:56 AM

I'd be super excited. He is my favorite director around these days. Also N Winding Refn.

cliffhanger

Can't wait for both f'n Blade Runner 2049, aswell as Dune - the latter being so excited i need a constant underwear refreshment. ok yeah thats too much info.

anyway, so much good stuff on its way.

Logan.
Justice League
Alien:Covenant
Blade Runner 2049
Wonder Woman
Star Wars Episode 8
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Thor : Ragnarok
Pirates of The Caribbean : Dead men tell no tales
John Wick 2
War for the Planet of the Apes
Kong: Skull Island
Fate of the Furious (Fast8)
It
Jumanji

all this year, and then next year

The Predator
Avengers: Infinity Wars
Aquaman
Deadpool 2
Jurassic World 2
The Wolfman
Han Solo movie
Independence Day 3
Venom
Mission Impossible 6

and at some point :

Dune

Nyarlathotep

Based on what I have so far seen of his filmography I'd be down with it.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: Nyarlathotep on Feb 20, 2017, 07:52:16 PM

Based on what I have so far seen of his filmography I'd be down with it.

Id like to see an entry in the franchise that dismisses action and fanfare in favor of slower adult themes, like ARRIVAL does. He is ideal with that and likely DUNE will be all the better because of it. Im not saying I'd like the series to STAY that way, but one film that trades in that stock could be great.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed