Should there be an ALIEN TV Series?

Started by CainsSon, Feb 12, 2017, 09:30:03 PM

With the expanded mythology, and the trend of bringing Horror franchises to the small screen, would you like to see an ALIEN TV Series? If so, how much of the expanded mythology would you like to see included?

Yes, and it should include everything - Alien, Predator, AVP and Prometheus; whether one story at a time, by season, or all together.
6 (25%)
Yes, but only Alien and Prometheus' canon, and include Ripley.
3 (12.5%)
Yes, but only include Alien and Prometheus' canon, and ignore Ripley's story.
6 (25%)
Yes, but make it exlusively AVP.
0 (0%)
Yes, but it should have no connection to anything included in the films
3 (12.5%)
No; I wouldn't like to see anything related to Alien, Prometheus or AVP on TV.
6 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: May 23, 2017, 09:30:03 PM

Author
Should there be an ALIEN TV Series? (Read 9,680 times)

CainsSon

I'd love to hear what variations fans can come up with regarding your own take on where in the timeline and what should or could be included or excluded.

Personally, what I like about the idea, is that producers can use each season for different things, and link them all together.
For instance, start with Weyland Yutani's story between Alien and Aliens and bring in Amanda and the Isolation plot, then have that continue with just WY and have that lead into the space between Aliens and Alien 3. Then have a season end with Ripley8 being cloned and then the next season can have the Engineers and Ripley 8 and then wrap that up and have a Predator show up etc.
I think its the only real way it could all have room to breathe and fix all the loose ends.

Another idea Ive always wanted was an ANIMATED AVP mini-series for cable.

Sound off. What do you all think of an Alien TV Series?

windebieste

An 'ALIENS' tv show?  No.

A TV show that depicts the many roles of the USCM as an institution employed to resolve colonial issues and conflicts on colonised problem planets without the need to endlessly rely on confronting Xenomorphs?  Yes.

-Windebieste

CainsSon

Quote from: windebieste on Feb 12, 2017, 09:52:19 PM

A TV show that depicts the many roles of the USCM as an institution employed to resolve colonial issues and conflicts on colonised problem planets without the need to endlessly rely on confronting Xenomorphs?  Yes.

-Windebieste

That's a cool idea! I hadn't thought of that. I'd like it. I imagine that they would - even if they resolved to not focus on the xenos - at some point have them feature. For better or worse. I would really dig it if it were only the USCM too though.

Local Trouble

Only if it's on HBO or Showtime with a Game of Thrones-sized budget.

The Alien Predator

And they could also finally explore awkward first encounters, like how humanity met the Arcturians or any other races they might come across.

I don't mean make it a constant thing where a new race is discovered every other episode or something.

I mean the occasional episode. Make the encounters really difficult on both sides. If it's a friendly race, make it as if both are having trouble communicating to each other and maybe add misunderstandings that may need resolving in that episode.

Lots and lots of pointing at things to try and display a message.  :laugh: And who knows if some of these aliens even communicate through sound or sign language? What if they are completely bizarre space cthulhu who speak by changing skin tones real quick?

Some interesting possibilities with that.

But like Winde said, the focus should be mostly on humans and within human space. Adding those aliens only for the sake of mystery and wonderment for us. Keep the universe huge and space travel costly even for other species so contacts would be rare, like a needle in a haystack rare.

The intelligent race we encounter the most should be the Predators and 99.9999999% of that should be hostile as it always is anyway.

I don't see why not make the series set during the Rage War? The first three seasons could cover the novel trilogy and the aftermath could be set after that. Rage War is set in 2692 AD, it'd be a neat setting for an Alien tv series as humanity has colonized 1% of the Milky Way galaxy. The novels already build so much world in them and that could transition in to a tv series.

Show explorers settling on new worlds and trying to get by. Show human rebels and anti-coporation terrorist groups fighting Colonial Marines etc. So much to do in a TV series!

And I'd love an animated series or even a movie so bad.

SnakAttack

My choice would be to either have an Alien/Colonial Marine TV show or a show which encompasses the broader AVP universe.  Either way though, I would prefer for the show to be set around a completely new set of characters and possibly even a slightly different timeline, just to keep everything fresh.  I think there is so much they can explore in the Alien (or AVP) universe that it would not be a good decision to try to continue the other storelines.  I do agree with CainsSon that it would be nice to complete some of the other stories in the Alien and AVP universes, but I believe that is better left to additional movies.

I believe the budget would need to be reasonable, as Local Trouble pointed out, as I could see the show getting a lot of flak for having horrible special effects/CGI otherwise.  If they had the correct backing for a project, I can only imagine the hype and potential for the show.  They could bring together a great cast and explore many different/lesser-understood parts of the Alien universe.

With just the Alien universe, the focus could be on a group of salvagers/colonial marines that somehow have to begin working together.  We could explore life on a spaceship, relationship between salvagers and marines, and of course include an android to delve into that realm more.  We could also explore the alien life cycle and possibly the existence of different variations of Aliens that have thrived in completely different environments and look/act very differently.

If the entire AVP universe was included, then we could also dive into the backstory of the predators, which I feel is very underutilized currently.  We could better understand their civilization/hierarchy and I can imagine the great interplay between the three factions/characters.  I am not sure if I would want them to develop a main character/set of characters for the aliens and the predators though.  I feel the predators would make much more sense as an established set of characters, but the show would probably be best if we felt like we were in the shows of the salvagers/colonial marines learning more about the alien and predator "societies."

OpenMaw

No. I'm just not feeling the idea of an Alien-verse TV show. The series doesn't really fit that format.

A miniseries might work. "Hadley's Hope" for example.

PsyKore

I reckon it'd suck. The Terminator TV show was crumby nonsense, I'm pretty sure this would be too.

You could do a show based around the Marines without the Aliens, except you can't - that's what people would want to see eventually, so they would have to bring them in at some point, and I'm sure it would just be cheap and dodgy.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 12, 2017, 09:58:21 PM

I agree with this. I can't see it working on some sort of network or SYFY channel sized budget.

Quote from: CainsSon on Feb 13, 2017, 02:21:16 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 12, 2017, 09:58:21 PM

I agree with this. I can't see it working on some sort of network or SYFY channel sized budget.
Quote from: PsyKore on Feb 13, 2017, 01:02:11 AM
I reckon it'd suck. The Terminator TV show was crumby nonsense, I'm pretty sure this would be too.

You could do a show based around the Marines without the Aliens, except you can't - that's what people would want to see eventually, so they would have to bring them in at some point, and I'm sure it would just be cheap and dodgy.

This is why. I feel it would just be dodgy and there would be no way around the network/viewers wanting to see xenos. Although I think a show about the USCM would make for a great series, it would inevitably lead back to it.

However, I have to disagree that a Alien universe TV series couldn't work with a Netflix sized/Marvel Budget. Im thinking, so long as they really took The WALKING DEAD approach and let it breathe and be dark and focus on the characters, a TV show is the only way - I can see the franchise wrapping things up.

That said, my knee jerk is to START it off in universe but separate. The USCM being a great idea for the starting point. It would be cool to explore how the corporate interests of WY are pulling the strings of the USCM.

swarm87

so make the current comics into a TV show? hbo only has 2 years left on game of thrones so....

dragonthingy

Quote from: CainsSon on Feb 12, 2017, 09:30:03 PM

Sound off. What do you all think of an Alien TV Series?

I wouldn't want it to be in the current style of "its like a giant movie made of 13 hour long episodes, binge watch it!". I'd rather it be relatively self-contained. Maybe with each episode being movie length (80-90 minutes) and having them be a bit standalone. Honestly, it would break willing suspension of disbelief to have the same people fight Aliens again and again across multiple seasons. Still have returning elements, characters and plots, maybe a finale that ties everything together.

Quote from: CainsSon on Feb 12, 2017, 09:30:03 PM
I'd love to hear what variations fans can come up with regarding your own take on where in the timeline and what should or could be included or excluded.

I reckon set it in the "Generation 2" continuity (see my signature for more).

Quote from: windebieste on Feb 12, 2017, 09:52:19 PM

-Windebieste

That's the spin-off  :laugh:
Seriously though, every episode, people would want Aliens or Predator to show up.

Now what about a Predator series...

Scorpio

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 13, 2017, 12:29:05 AM

A miniseries might work. "Hadley's Hope" for example.

I would totally watch that.

SM

SM

Only if it's a sitcom.

whiterabbit

I'd take an Alien Anime TV series.

CainsSon

Quote from: SM on Feb 15, 2017, 01:57:33 AM
Only if it's a sitcom.

You might be able to get the greenlit.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed