PREDATOR Prequel Novel - Christopher Golden

Started by felix, Aug 04, 2016, 05:33:52 AM

Author
PREDATOR Prequel Novel - Christopher Golden (Read 57,087 times)

Kaltes

Basically how this makes me feel.

g2vd

Quote from: SiL on Aug 05, 2016, 07:36:57 AM
That is the dumbest sounding prequel I've heard in a long damn time.

Up next: Kyle Reese was a T1000, a good Arnie T800 was sent back to stop him, killed the bad T800 that was also sent back along the way, killed the T1000 Kyle Reese but was mistaken for the bad Arnie T800 and crushed in the press while he tried to explain what was happening to Sarah Conner.
Fox could be watching this forum don't give them any ideas you fool!

Kaltes

Honestly I can't imagine why anyone thought this was a good idea. Pathetic desperation or otherwise.

426Buddy

Terrible premise, hope it turns out better than it sounds.

SpreadEagleBeagle

To me it sounds like they're trying to simplify and dumb down the Predator species as a whole, having "good guys" and "bad guys", instead of having a bunch of opportunistic intergalactic hunters that live for the thrill with a completely different set of ideals and morals, or the lack there off... Whatever, not going to read it anyways.

SM

They've had good guy and bad guy Predators for over 20 years.  Then they put some in a film.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: SM on Aug 06, 2016, 03:25:41 AM
They've had good guy and bad guy Predators for over 20 years.  Then they put some in a film.

I guess I haven't paid much attention to the Predator EU then. I know about the bad-blood concept, but as far as I can remember they weren't truly bad guys, or maybe I'm not remembering it correctly. Anyways, I'm not a fan of the concept.

SiL

Interestingly Kevin Peter Hall referred to the City Hunter as a "bad blood" in press interviews.

I cannot imagine when the switch between Predators would even take place. The "rogue" cannot be the one to attack Dutch's team: it gets injured in the first encounter and still has its wounds at the end of the picture. Unless it kills it immediately after Hawkins/Blaine, but JUUUUUST before Mac opens fire, and somehow without the team finding the body? f**k.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Well...I'm not digging this concept. While I enjoyed River of Pain I found the retcons far too intrusive and unable to ignore compared to Out of the Shadows. I'll read this, of course, but I just can't see where it's going to fit in, why it's needed or how it was conceived.  :-\ I'm curious to see how it's done though. Hopefully it'll make sense.

Bloodwrought

Bloodwrought

More shoehorned awkwardness in novel format. Seriously, why do they keep letting these authors mess with things that don't need convoluted backstories?

EJA

Maybe the hunter who triggered Dutch's first trap was the "good" hunter, who had already dealt with the bad blood? Still doesn't explain how he had the bad blood's recordings of Mac and Billy though, unless he downloaded them from the dead bad blood's gear. Sounds a bit wonky and convoluted though..

SiL

It can't work without leaping through some ridiculous hoops :-\

There are some films which open themselves up to these creative explanations for plot holes and such, but Predator really isn't one of them.

happypred

Quote from: DUB1 on Aug 05, 2016, 06:00:07 PM
I wonder what exactly makes the rogue, well, a rogue. Aren't "Bad Bloods" that because they kill innocent and completely helpless prey? Hopper and his men were military, exactly the kind of prey that "Good Bloods" like to hunt. So what did the rogue do that was so evil? Did it steal it's arsenal, or a ship? Or another Predator's trophies?

Hey, maybe that's why Dutch mistook the good Predator for the rogue, the good one had just gotten it's stolen helmet and trophies back! You see, when Dutch roared, the good one, who was really far away from it's ship, got really scared! That's why it fought Dutch! When it took off it's helmet and gear, it had gone through so much that it just wanted to beat Dutch to death! It self-destructed as a F you to him for his unprovoked assault!

But wait, why did it mimic Billy's laugh if it never killed him? Because the rogue mimicked it during it's last fight against the good one, who recorded it! Also, notice the Jungle Hunter never wore human skulls? Just those of small alien critters? That means it didn't hunt humans! Ever! Making the fate of Saint-Predator all the more tragic!

But seriously, this story might make more sense if the rogue killed the good one, and if their encounter happened completely off-screen in the first movie. Though if they wanted an hostile encounter between two Predators, they should have just written an original story about it.

Good pred winning would work...

If bad pred is like a notorious pred murderer (past murders of other preds)

Bad pred happens to be on Earth...he kills Hopper's men
Good pred tracks him to Earth, engages and kills him.

Good pred is intrigued by local prey, decides to take on Dutch and crew

Xan21

Terrible!!!

Tusky

Tusky

If it is done ala BTTFpt 2, it "could"  work.
Events in P1 from another angle, fleashing out what happened to Hopper and his team, caught between two hunters.

Has potential.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed