Operation: Aliens!

Started by XenoZipper, Mar 29, 2016, 05:17:12 AM

Author
Operation: Aliens! (Read 1,783 times)

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

I'm sure most of you guys already know about this stuff. I never had any of it as a kid besides just the Kenner toy line. Have any of you ever played the Combat Game or have any of the puzzles? I'm certainly interested in finding the puzzles if possible. They remind me of some Real Ghostbusters puzzles I used to have as a kid. And also I'm sure you guys know about the proposed Operation:Aliens cartoon that WAS going to happen but never did. I can tell you as a young kid collecting the Kenner toys, I would have welcomed an Aliens cartoon with open mandibles :P Here's some pics of Operation:Aliens stuff I thought you'd guys enjoy if you haven't seen before.

426Buddy

426Buddy

lol I have the puzzle on the bottom, I would have loved a cartoon as a kid, would have been perfect timing for me.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I don't own anything Operation: Aliens myself (though I do look for the boardgame from time to time) but I would have loved this as a kid. The 90s would have been perfect for this.

I'd still like to see something more modern now.

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

Quote from: 420Buddy on Mar 29, 2016, 02:35:12 PM
lol I have the puzzle on the bottom, I would have loved a cartoon as a kid, would have been perfect timing for me.

That's awesome you actually have that puzzle!! I went searching on Ebay last night for those & they're sitting around the $20-30 with about $20 shipping. Not sure if I want to pay that much for a 100 piece puzzle even though it is cool. I agree the cartoon would have been the perfect time for me as I was just starting to get pretty deep into the stuff, I'd already been reading the comics for years prior to getting the Kenner toys.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 29, 2016, 02:55:47 PM
I don't own anything Operation: Aliens myself (though I do look for the boardgame from time to time) but I would have loved this as a kid. The 90s would have been perfect for this.

I'd still like to see something more modern now.

I don't own any of that stuff either. Always thought it was cool though & liked the interesting art. A cartoon now even would be pretty awesome. I could see it being done in say a similar vain in style as the Starship Troopers animated series.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: XenoZipper on Mar 29, 2016, 04:29:24 PM
I don't own any of that stuff either. Always thought it was cool though & liked the interesting art. A cartoon now even would be pretty awesome. I could see it being done in say a similar vain in style as the Starship Troopers animated series.

I loved the Roughneck Chronicles. I always hoped for something like that for Aliens. Thought that particular style would be a bit dated now.

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 29, 2016, 04:30:56 PM
I loved the Roughneck Chronicles. I always hoped for something like that for Aliens. Thought that particular style would be a bit dated now.

Agreed if they kept it totally like Roughneck Chronicles it would feel dated for sure but if they Upped it a little bit it would be good. There was that last Starship Troopers movie that was complete CG & looked fairly decent. I'm also a fan of the newer Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles show so that kind of 3D animation would work for me as well. As much as I would LOVE a just normal 2D cartoon like what was planned for Op:Aliens, I've seen what they do for 2D now in the most recent episode of Ninja Turtles & I don't dig it at all. You can tell it's 2D manipulated by computer. Not 100% fully hand drawn.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Operation: Aliens also made its way into a trading card format comic included with the Aliens/Predator Universe set. It had some lovely artwork by Den Beauvais. Story didn't seem to have much to do with the cartoon but some of the same concepts were in there, like Aliens born from all kinds of different animals.

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

Damn that's pretty cool!! I would most certainly love to get my hands on a complete card set for those. I only have a complete set for Alien 3 cards but that's it.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

The base set (including the comic cards) was pretty cheap when I got mine not too long ago.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I have the Operation Aliens cards kicking around somewhere, I wish I could find them.

I've also got the board game; I grabbed a set for cheap on ebay several years back just to say I owned it. :p
I haven't tried playing it (yet), but it looks like it's a hoot.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Do people think this would have been harmful for the series had it been made?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Not really. It's for kids. It's pretty obvious it wouldn't have had any serious connection.

Even James Bond had a kids' cartoon. Didn't do the films any harm.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 08, 2016, 08:02:20 AM
Not really. It's for kids. It's pretty obvious it wouldn't have had any serious connection.

Completely valid point.

Even James Bond had a kids' cartoon. Didn't do the films any harm.

Did it really? Never knew that.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Yep, a spin-off called James Bond Jr. all about Bond's nephew.

Wiki clicky.

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

I don't think the cartoon would have been damaging in the slightest to have. I mean hell, I remember when I would walk in a toy aisle in a store & there was rows & rows of Kenner Aliens figures. So the toys were okay to have around but not a cartoon that would have co-existed with the very same toys? Makes no sense to me. I'm not sure when they were planning to have that out if they did continue with production. Maybe '92-'93ish? I would have been 10 or 11, perfect timing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed