What's Wrong With AvP?

Started by overthere, Dec 05, 2015, 12:25:08 PM

Author
What's Wrong With AvP? (Read 33,553 times)

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Despite AVP being a rather simple popcorn blockbuster, I had always enjoyed it, and way beyoond just that. Its good. Well, Perhaps good is a wrong word. "Fine" is more like it. I gotta give it a plus for at least having some kind of buildup which is almost nonexistant today. Again, I liked the opening and the general setup of this mystery. The awakening of the Queen I liked too. Predators' suiting up was idiotic

I saw AVP in theaters with friends and I must say I had fun and it was entertaining. What do I think of it now? Not much has changed. The first half of the movie I really, really like. I do. I think theres a cool buildup to the mystery and its nice that we dont get to see anything until about 30 min or more into the movie. I like the setting too - Antarctica is isolated with hostile environment - reminds me of LV and The Thing. And there are few of classic Alien motifs like a small isolated group and being stranded in one enclosed place.  Long buildup (like the first 2 movies). False ending - in Alien , we think the alien blew up with the ship but appears in Narcissus. In Aliens we think the aliens were dusted but the Queen appears. In Alien 3 we think that runner was boiled but jumps up, and even in Resurection we think the aliens died with Betty but Omlet, I mean Newborn shows up. In AVP, the Queen appears after the pyramid and the aliens within it turns to history.The return of the Queen was also nice and the cinematography was good too. Once Predators appear tho it changes into a juvenile video game. Some really great shots and visuals in there too

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

I just can't get behind the film. It's become unwatchable for me. Especially when I go back and read the original comic, which does just about everything that the film does, only better. (The ONLY thing the film does better than the comic is trying to retain mystery with the Predator's by not showing a lot of them. If I were to adapt the comic into a movie, i'd leave out all the Predator-ship stuff.)

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: StrangeShape on Jan 07, 2017, 04:54:55 AM
Despite AVP being a rather simple popcorn blockbuster, I had always enjoyed it, and way beyoond just that. Its good. Well, Perhaps good is a wrong word. "Fine" is more like it. I gotta give it a plus for at least having some kind of buildup which is almost nonexistant today. Again, I liked the opening and the general setup of this mystery. The awakening of the Queen I liked too. Predators' suiting up was idiotic

I saw AVP in theaters with friends and I must say I had fun and it was entertaining. What do I think of it now? Not much has changed. The first half of the movie I really, really like. I do. I think theres a cool buildup to the mystery and its nice that we dont get to see anything until about 30 min or more into the movie. I like the setting too - Antarctica is isolated with hostile environment - reminds me of LV and The Thing. And there are few of classic Alien motifs like a small isolated group and being stranded in one enclosed place.  Long buildup (like the first 2 movies). False ending - in Alien , we think the alien blew up with the ship but appears in Narcissus. In Aliens we think the aliens were dusted but the Queen appears. In Alien 3 we think that runner was boiled but jumps up, and even in Resurection we think the aliens died with Betty but Omlet, I mean Newborn shows up. In AVP, the Queen appears after the pyramid and the aliens within it turns to history.The return of the Queen was also nice and the cinematography was good too. Once Predators appear tho it changes into a juvenile video game. Some really great shots and visuals in there too

https://theiapolis.com/d4/hMO/i1UAX/k4/l1UTN/w1HC/alien-queen-mother.jpg

Indeed, it is no where near as bad as Requiem and I do enjoy this movie as a popcorn one.

Paul did have some good ideas but they were poorly executed. The build up was a good idea  but the film could have used an extra half hour to help build up character development since we hardly care about the characters or at all.

The dialogue could have been better and so could have details to real life facts about Antarctica and mayans.

The pyramid story is good imo and so is the concept of having to hunt the aliens in a enclosed environment where Aliens have the advantage.

The pg rating made the film suffer since the franchise is known for excessive violance and turning it into a movie that kids can watch is really low. Gore does not a film make but when the tone of a franchise is known and depending on a certain level of violence then it is needed.

The film's atmosphere was wrong too, more adventurous than horror, also the predator team up is a bit iffy, not a bad idea for survival reasons but it is how its done and somehow it spawned a lot of squicky fiction by the more depraved fans.

Personally I dislike the designs on both species, the Alien were to angular and pointing in their faces, and while they are intended to be skeletal,I found them too thin in the shoulder region....they looked squashed...plus no bio-mechanic design. ]

Predators don't need me explain what was wrong with them...

Verdict on this film is that it did have potential but it was not used.

Problem with these franchises is the balance between homages and new material. On one hand too many homages is bad as it is A, trying to gain nostalgia and B, a rehash. Lex is obviously supposed to a Ripley homage with her by the book attitude, then there characters called Dallas and a clean up crew Predator skins someone just coz etc. New material can be bad if it doesn't stick to continuity i.e Requiems egg barfing which arguably rendered the previous life-cycle redundant.

Kaltes

Kaltes

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 07, 2017, 03:44:34 PM
The pyramid story is good imo and so is the concept of having to hunt the aliens in a enclosed environment where Aliens have the advantage.

I really do like the fact the pyramid shifts around too, it's a shame they didn't do more with it.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Ill quote a great post from someone from a different board

AVP is an underrated movie. I'm not saying it's a great film or a sci-fi rhinestone, but it gets slashed for everything while there are many areas where it really succeeds. As aforementioned, the setting couldn't have been better. It is not a rehash of what came before, yet it retains that same spirit. It's a place with no civilization or help around, and a place that looks like a setting from a horror movie. Which, ultimately it is. The Thing and The Shining proved that an isolated, windy winter environment can be extremely beneficial in a stories like those. It's cold, harsh, unfriendly and brings forward feelings of isolation, helplessness and terror.

The set designs are quite good and never go over the top. The pyramid is believable, and the hieroglyphs and chambers well designed. The colors are saturated, but not ashed. The navy blue hue fits the arctic feel.

The movie also seems to have a very large, epic scale thanks to production value of shooting in Europe.

The idea for the story is one that almost never fails. A team comes to investigate and finds shadows and ghosts of whatever else happened there before with no one else around. Aliens, Event Horizon and 2010 are just some of the examples that used a similar premise with a horror overtones. Then there's the buildup which takes an unusually long time for newer movies

The characters are glossed over, but Henriksen does just enough with the little time he has to develop his character into a believable person. At some point the movie turns into a mindless fight-and-shoot monster movie and it loses me there. I also liked the old fashioned horror cliche ending with the chestburster

There were several very talented people working on the movie. John Bruno, who had a long working relationship with Cameron and worked with him on every movie except for The Terminator and Aliens. Steve Burg, who worked on The Abyss,T2, Prometheus, The Martian and Interstellar, designed the Predator ship

AVP:R had very unlikeable characters. It is aiming for the truck drivers approach, to have regular everyday people that the audience can associate with, but all of those characters seem cliche nevertheless. There is a bullied boy with a bad job who is in love with a girl that has a bully boyfriend whose popular in school. It cannot get anymore cliche than that. The boy's boss is a cliche bad boss from the 80's teenage movies. The other characters are fairly decent, like the sheriff and the soldier, while some are purely undefined, like the convict.

There arent many good aspects of the movie. The hospital setting and scenes are one, and the Predalien actually makes for a good movie monster. While it's not on the level of Alien that we know from the original pictures, he works as a monster from some gory 80s monster flick

The setting is plain wrong and along with direction, cinematography and special effects, reminds us that this movie is a cheap B monster flick set in a small town. This movie could work as a low budget horror in the 80s

SM

SM

I'm not sure that a few nice looking sets makes AvP under-rated.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Its a Paul w.s. Anderson film what more needs to be said?

I had hoped we'd get the version of Anderson who did event horizon but instead we got the Anderson who did the residents evil films. If that's your thing then more power to you but its always going to be a bargain bin b movie hanging with the likes of underworld, priest, and the resident evil flicks. Not good films but they do have some redeeming popcorn entertainment value.

Avpr is hanging put with asylum flicks in terms of quality.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 08, 2017, 08:19:42 PM
Its a Paul w.s. Anderson film what more needs to be said?

I had hoped we'd get the version of Anderson who did event horizon but instead we got the Anderson who did the residents evil films. If that's your thing then more power to you but its always going to be a bargain bin b movie hanging with the likes of underworld, priest, and the resident evil flicks. Not good films but they do have some redeeming popcorn entertainment value.

Avpr is hanging put with asylum flicks in terms of quality.

I hate asylum but I would say they are better because they at least know they are crap.  :P

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 08, 2017, 08:19:42 PM

I had hoped we'd get the version of Anderson who did event horizon but instead we got the Anderson who did the residents evil films.

I definitely think its a mix of both. The buildup is definitely leaning towards Event Horizon, the action and climax is Resident-ish

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

No fan of the Resi- evil movies other than it being a great popcorn movie but the action was a bit better compared to AVP.

Ragonk_Force

Ragonk_Force

Whats wrong with avp? Hmm, lets see. The dialogue, the acting, the characters, the story, the creatures, the fx, the makeup, the awful direction. Did i leave anything out?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Ragonk_Force on Mar 15, 2017, 05:55:25 PM...the fx, the makeup, the awful direction.

While I don't think it's a good film, I find it hard to criticise those aspects. The direction and effects in particular were decent, solely because they did so much with such a small budget. It looks a hell of a lot more expensive than it actually was.

Ragonk_Force

Ragonk_Force

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 15, 2017, 06:23:50 PM
Quote from: Ragonk_Force on Mar 15, 2017, 05:55:25 PM...the fx, the makeup, the awful direction.

While I don't think it's a good film, I find it hard to criticise those aspects. The direction and effects in particular were decent, solely because they did so much with such a small budget. It looks a hell of a lot more expensive than it actually was.
The alien designs were terrible, the predators were too bulky, not even gonna mention their faces, the eggs look ridiculous, like fully pulsating.. why? the direction is the worst part in my opinion. But if you enjoy it, great for you. Im not bashing anyones opinion, just stating mine

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Ragonk_Force on Mar 15, 2017, 06:57:43 PMThe alien designs were terrible, the predators were too bulky, not even gonna mention their faces, the eggs look ridiculous, like fully pulsating.. why? the direction is the worst part in my opinion.

None of those things have anything to do with direction...

Quote from: Ragonk_Force on Mar 15, 2017, 06:57:43 PMBut if you enjoy it, great for you. Im not bashing anyones opinion, just stating mine

I already said "I don't think it's a good film." I just think some areas are criticised unfairly simply because the overall product was a disappointment. Anderson's script and creature design choices may have been lame, but his direction of the picture was actually pretty damn good.

Ragonk_Force

Ragonk_Force

The director is most certainly responsible for how that is interpreted on film, and he did a laughable job imo.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed