18th Anniversary of Alien Resurrection

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 26, 2015, 07:23:09 PM

Author
18th Anniversary of Alien Resurrection (Read 2,702 times)

Corporal Hicks

So who saw it in the cinema? Any stories? Boos and hisses? Cheers?

Scree

Hell, yeah! I still got my movie tickets. Saw it three times in the theater. Still one of the best theatrical experiences I've ever had. I love this movie so much. :)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Saw it in the cinema way back. Only thing I actually remembered afterwards was the Alien underwater scene (which was kinda cool) until the Quadrilogy eventually came out and I felt kind of obliged to watch it again before re-purposing the disc as a drinks coaster.

I think the audience's mood was basically apathy/boredom. Same as was the case with Prometheus.

Elmazalman

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 26, 2015, 07:23:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci9nf8uW0uk

So who saw it in the cinema? Any stories? Boos and hisses? Cheers?
I saw this crud in the cinema at the time.A couple of Asian teenagers(with more sense than me)walked out about twenty minutes before the film's end and never returned.

Perfect-Organism

I went in to this movie as a big fan of Jean Pierre Jeunet's.  I still am, but mostly for his other films.  Delicatessen ranks as one of my all-time favorite films.  City of Lost Children also is very good.  Knowing those films helps you sort of understand Jeunet's design sensibility, but it didn't really help Alien: Resurrection.  It just did not work as an Aliens film.  Mostly it went sideways with the introduction of the funky creature at the end.  I tried to be patient and let this film grow on me but, nah.

Born Of Cold Light

Johner's quotes make the movie.

The Alien Predator

I really enjoyed this movie. Happy birthday Alien: Resurrection!

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Went on opening day. I actually remember being excited to see this when the first movie previews started showing. I remember liking the movie although the new born completely caught me by surprise. It was sort of, what the f**k, that's not an alien. That thing is f**king ugly. After the movie I was rather pleased to have at least gotten another alien movie, everyone else was like that was f**king terrible but at least it was better than Alien³'s prisons running in circles crap fest. The theater was packed tight.

Yea the one thing people said after the movie that I remember vividly was "at least it wasn't Alien³". I don't think that meant it was better in their opinions, only that it wasn't Alien³. The one thing that actually made me go that's f**king stupid was when they were climbing the ladder and the alien was chasing them. From the fake and stupid looking acid spit to boner bending over backwards shooting the jiving alien to the slow head boom. I mean everything about that scene blew. Oh and that tail movement, god awful looking.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Nov 26, 2015, 09:38:49 PM
Johner's quotes make the movie.

Out of all the jokes, it's Ripley 8's deadpan "I died" that works best for me!

windebieste

This is the film I've seen the least.  It's got its fans and I'm happy for them.  After all, everyone has different tastes and that should be respected.  Nonetheless, in some ways, I really dislike this movie.  It had a great core idea but I always felt its overall execution was lacking.  Jeunet has made some great movies and I love 'City of Lost Children'; but he was simply working with the wrong material here. 

On the plus side, 'ALIEN: Resurrection' is a very different movie to the previous entries in the series; and arguably, each of those differ from each other.  It's 'A:R's great saving grace for me.  For its oddly placed humor and weird introduction of borderline superhero Ripley 8 (come on ...corrosive blood, enhanced strength, communion with Aliens...) and desperate need to shoe horn its narrative around 'Ripley' once again, it still added a much needed level of diversity.

This isn't a movie that is derivative or just rehashing old characters.  Everything is new here, even the approach to making the movie itself differs wildly from any of the other 3.  It's no wonder it sometimes feels like it gets treated like an ugly orphan of the litter.  While it goes a long way to badge the 'Ripley' name on the series once again, it still sets up a fresh batch of characters that could have benefited from a recasting.  After all, these are more or less the same character archetypes Whedon used with much effective conviction in 'Firefly'.  Most of the Firefly's crew are present here. 

So it's a valuable movie in the series in my book, even though I don't particularly like it.  It introduces some neat ideas about cloning Aliens and it gives us a great launching point for what should lead to the conclusion to the series.  After all, more than 250 years have passed and 'Ripley' has finally made it back to Earth.  I want to know that story.

I would love to see 'ALIEN 5' have her investigate the Auriga's crash site.  That could lead to some interesting story progression, too, for the character.  Weaver's age could even work in favor of the Ripley 8 character as her mixed DNA is causing the character to age prematurely.  This could be a direct sequel with no time lapse at all.  200 years...  really?  I still don't understand how the movie even benefits from that decision.  It just further removed it from being associated with the prior trilogy. 

I always felt of all the movies in this series that needs a sequel, 'ALIEN: Resurrection' needs a finale, a capstone to finish the series off properly.  A final battle against Aliens on terrestrial soil with Ripley 8 leading a response team armed with futuristic armaments would be an ideal way to do it.

-Windebieste.

whiterabbit

Yes. Alien 5 should be the sequel to A|R and a true sequel at that. A|R does get way too much shit; it was an honest attempt at making a good movie and it isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination. The cloning aspect was rather fresh way back in 1997.

HuDaFuK

Terrible Alien movie.

Interesting film in it's own right.

And you can't deny it has it's moments.

Corporal Hicks

For me, Alien Resurrection is the opposite of Alien. You have a bunch of talented people coming together and making a mess of it rather than making an absolute masterpiece of it. Alien's creative team came together like a jigsaw - that just didn't happen for Resurrection. In a vacuum everyone involved in Resurrection is fantastic.

I do think there's a lot of interesting ideas in Resurrection - especially the clone and the Newborn but I don't think execution worked well. It's my least favourite of the series but I don't hate it. I don't hate any of the films really. Prometheus frustrates the hell out of me but I always try to find something I like in all of them and there are things I enjoy in all the films.

The first time I saw Resurrection was on DVD though. When I got my Dad to buy me the Alien Legacy boxset.

HuDaFuK

Resurrection was actually the second Alien movie I ever saw, after Alien 3. (Yeah, I saw them in a totally screwed up order. Much like the original Star Wars trilogy, which I first watched backwards :laugh: )

Like you, it's definitely my least favourite of the four, but I don't dislike it anything like as much as some people. It's a complete mess, but it's much better if you accept that it's a black comedy and not a completely serious movie. That mindset makes it more enjoyable, I think. It's still a shame they treated the material in that way, but I can at least be entertained by it.

Corporal Hicks

I went Aliens, Alien 3, Alien and then Resurrection.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed