If you could have only one...

Started by Mr. Clemens, Oct 30, 2015, 10:22:35 PM

...what would it be?

Ridley Scott's Alien: Paradise Lost
Neil Blomkamp's Alien 5
Author
If you could have only one... (Read 6,260 times)

oduodu

oduodu

I am surprised . I thought alien 5 would be what most people wanted.

The Alien Predator

I am surprised by my reaction to this, Alien 5 was something I looked forward to when I first heard of it and was excited because I liked Blomkamp's District 9 movie.

But the moment Ripley was being brought back, it just began to kill my excitement as it feels like a rehash of Aliens, and I mean literally, Ripley + Hicks + Colonial Marines... I'd much prefer they just used Colonial Marines with some new faces to introduce us to.

But hey, we're technically getting an "Alien" film, it's being done by Ridley. So you might as well call it "Alien 5" due to its title. Some were saying Prometheus may be retitled as "Alien: Prometheus" to bridge it closer to the Alien brand.

Vulhala

Vulhala

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Nov 01, 2015, 10:53:09 PM
But the moment Ripley was being brought back, it just began to kill my excitement as it feels like a rehash of Aliens, and I mean literally, Ripley + Hicks + Colonial Marines... I'd much prefer they just used Colonial Marines with some new faces to introduce us to.

Pretty much exactly how I feel. As much as I'd love Ripley and Hicks back on-screen together, it would never feel right. It's fan service for the sake of it.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Oct 31, 2015, 04:48:23 PM
Alien Isolation?

I was given the impression that it'd be "Aliens" in its presentation style, with Colonial Marines and Pulse Rifles and Ellen Ripley.

Isolation was more "Alien" than "Aliens".

He did a really long video interview where he specifically stated the game's visual presentation style has had a big influence over how he'll be handling this project. It's the same interview where he points out he's always held both of the first two films as more or less equal in favouritism, but that after seeing the first one on a huge screen, it's actually inched ahead of the second as his ultimate favourite.

What you refer to are plot devices and a prop cameo (pulse rifles making sense if it's set not long after the second film's events), not presentational style.

I don't think it's been verified, one way or another, whether the Colonial Marines would be featuring.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Nov 02, 2015, 01:01:01 AM
Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Oct 31, 2015, 04:48:23 PM
Alien Isolation?

I was given the impression that it'd be "Aliens" in its presentation style, with Colonial Marines and Pulse Rifles and Ellen Ripley.

Isolation was more "Alien" than "Aliens".

He did a really long video interview where he specifically stated the game's visual presentation style has had a big influence over how he'll be handling this project. It's the same interview where he points out he's always held both of the first two films as more or less equal in favouritism, but that after seeing the first one on a huge screen, it's actually inched ahead of the second as his ultimate favourite.

What you refer to are plot devices and a prop cameo (pulse rifles making sense if it's set not long after the second film's events), not presentational style.

I don't think it's been verified, one way or another, whether the Colonial Marines would be featuring.

I see, thanks for clearing that up for me.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Alien 5.. Just get it out of the way. Done and over with.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

If the one good thing to come out of all of this Alien 5 speculation is that Ridley finally gave up the Prometheus charade and decided to call his Alien movie an Alien movie; then I say thank you Neil and I can't wait for Alien: Paradise Lost. That's my guess as to the name change anyways. I mean something had to have give between then and Ridley's title announcement. Right. :P

Lonely Universe

Alien 5.

Corporal Hicks

I'm hesitant about both but also cautiously optimistic about both. At the end of the day, we just don't know enough about either to really form a proper opinion. We've got bits and pieces and our own conjecture. From that point of view...I'd go for Paradise Lost. Prometheus had potential to be great. It sucked because the steering hand in the script was just not good.

I'm hopeful for a coherent and intelligent script this time around. And I can't get the sight of a fully biomechanical Engineer homeworld out of my head. But it's all conjecture. I don't know.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

All we have are hopes and expectations. That's part of the reason this websites exists, man. :P

Corporal Hicks

At the minute that's all we have. That'll change over time and we'll be here to make sure you all know what's actually coming up.  :P

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

f**kin'A, man.  8)

I tell you, I love this fictional world so many people have created over the decades and now with Scott trying to expand on it I hope to space jesus he pulls it off and delivers several more movies as planned. I guess it's like comparing Cameron's Avatar to Scott's Prometheus. Sure people love avatar with all of it's blue people and gorgeous landscapes but then there are people like me who want the monsters and f**ked up dark shit instead. The world where things have gone horribly wrong. Then again Prometheus was freaking gorgeous too. Maybe I can have my cake and eat it too! :)

Primordial

Primordial

We saw Earth, Mars and LV-223 in Prometheus, which was maybe a sort of an interlude to the dark worlds of Alien movies we are used to. Proposing another range of colours is a way of expanding the universe, isn't it?
Would be more than happy if Paradise Lost overfed us with biomechanical stuff  :D

As for the topic question, I refuse to choose between my arm and my leg  :P

windebieste

windebieste

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Nov 01, 2015, 10:53:09 PMBut hey, we're technically getting an "Alien" film, it's being done by Ridley. So you might as well call it "Alien 5" due to its title. Some were saying Prometheus may be retitled as "Alien: Prometheus" to bridge it closer to the Alien brand.

That is an interesting point and it has been known to happen before.   Re-released  'Raiders of the Lost Ark' became 'Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark',  'Star Wars' is now known as 'Star Wars - A New Hope'.  Maybe some time in the future, it will be released as 'ALIEN: Prometheus' to help consolidate its place within the series.

-Windebieste.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Predator 4 ;D

To be honest, I'm not especially thrilled by the prospect of either Alien film. Prometheus was too much of a disappointment for me to start jumping up and down over a sequel, and I seriously dislike the idea of where the Blomkamp film is supposed to be going.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed