The End of 'AvP2Files'

Started by x-M-x, Jul 25, 2015, 12:22:21 AM

Author
The End of 'AvP2Files' (Read 7,474 times)

Lucifero

Lucifero

Quote from: windebieste on Aug 03, 2015, 12:52:22 AM
For sure.  Now consider that game was released in 2010 and imagine what the custom stuff that would have been like after the tools had been available for 5 years. 

New game modes, complete campaigns, total conversions, movie themed expansions... 

Nope.  None of that.  Thanks Fox.  Thanks Sega.  Just take the money.

-Windebieste.
i hope you want say Thanks  Rebellion no way

windebieste

windebieste

I've always believed that developers enjoy seeing what the fans can come up with when an SDK for their game is released. 

Publishers and IP owners...  not so much.

-Windebieste.

System Apollo

System Apollo

Wow! This is terrible news to start my day off with.

Quote from: windebieste on Jul 29, 2015, 09:07:54 AM
Quote from: RagingDragon on Jul 29, 2015, 12:32:36 AM
I'll never understand why a publisher or developer would rather have a game totally die than release dev kits or source for it and let the modders go to town. It makes zero sense.

I can think of a couple good reasons.  First, the tools have to be budgeted in to the game's design.  They have to be configured in such a way people can use them - some inhouse tools are unfit to release because artists have to be familair with them at the code level.  That's not true for all games of course but some tools are just a nightmare to work with - even for the people designing the game.   I've messed around with some tools that were 'professional' in the sense that they got the job done, but you wouldn't want the public to use them.  It costs a lot to make the tools useable by people outside of a dev team.  The interface has to work, it has to do what it says on the box and it's got to have documentation that might be scattered across a servers in a studio.  There's plenty of functionality that might only have a specific task and it might not suit the developer/publisher to release such content.  So, yes, the tools have to be made fit for public use, and that costs money.

Then on top of that, they have to be safe in public hands.  This means that the tools have to be hack proof.  A badly prepared set of tools will provide backdoors into vulnerable parts of the game and may end up being exploited as cheats.  So at the very least, if any code is released as part of an SDK it's not used by hackers to ruin the experience of the game.  Get thousands of hackers using your tools to ruin an online game and the game itself is history within 24 hours. 

On top of that, some tools also add model import abilities, which is fine except some tools also allow assets to be unpacked before they can be used in modders projects.  The problem here is models and textures may get used outside the intended use of the publisher.   For example, Garry's mod uses all manner of content stripped from other games.  Publishers and owners of such titles make no money out of Garry's mod content because it's provided by third parties. 

So those are the reasons I perceive as being critical problems with releasing tools: 

1).  It costs money to make them appropriate for the public to use.
2).  Publishers risk losing control over how the content  that dev teams have created for their game is going to be used - or more importantly - abused.

Then, of course, it's just easier to lock modding out entirely and force players to buy the next iteration of their IP without worrying about lost sales due to fan made content keeping an older title alive.

-Windebieste.

I was essentially writing a similar paragraph until I found this. Spot on Windebieste. May I also add that the era of gaming we are in is different from the one circa 2000. The attitude and approach towards providing content was a lot different from what we have now.

Just remembering Avp2files and the content makes the nostalgia hit me with such a momentum it moves me to ponder how much of a catalyst gaming has become in just little over a decade. Is it saddening or have I just become too old?

PsyKore

PsyKore

Sorry to hear this. It had an admirable run though. Kudos!

Lucifero

Lucifero

Dante and Virgil are located under the city of Jerusalem, in front of the big door on which are engraved the celebrated verses that open this song. The last of these verses: "All hope abandon, ye who enter here, inspires new doubts and new fears in Dante, but his teacher and guide smiles and takes his hand because now we must go forward. In this timeless place and without light, the Antinferno, stationed forever the slothful, that is, those who in life would not take positions, and are now deemed unworthy of both premium (Paradise) that punishment (Hell) because the first would be stained with their presence and the second would be a reason to be proud. their punishment is to run naked behind a coat of arms without the flag and be perpetually points from wasps and flies; a little farther on the shore dell'Acheronte (the first infernal river), are provisionally souls who have to reach the other shore, waiting for Charon, the first infernal guardian, drives them into his boat and ferry from there.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Lucifero, if you're going to post please be contributing to the topic. It's getting a little silly now.

Lucifero

Lucifero

July is approaching inexorably.
I can not wait to play again!
as mother monolith it created 15 years ago

Randomizer

Randomizer

All hail the great Monolith

Spoiler
I had to do this, sorry.
[close]

windebieste

windebieste

So wish I could get my hands on one of these.

-Windebieste.

x-M-x

x-M-x

:D

Lucifero

Lucifero

Quote from: windebieste on Jun 27, 2016, 11:58:25 AM

So wish I could get my hands on one of these.

-Windebieste.
no Windebieste do not touch it is dangerous! XD
Spoiler

Randomizer

Randomizer

Let's have STALKER Monolith vs. 2001 Monolith, fight to the death !  :laugh:

Lucifero

Lucifero

Quote from: Randomizer on Jun 27, 2016, 04:29:30 PM
Let's have STALKER Monolith vs. 2001 Monolith, fight to the death !  :laugh:

a monolith a symbol but also a dark curse

Randomizer

Randomizer

Interesting read. I suppose you got those excerpts from the book. Your English is noticeably better in there.  ;)

Lucifero

Lucifero

Quote from: x-M-x on Jun 27, 2016, 12:21:51 PM
:D

He laughs best who laughs last!

I'm your friend xmx but will not hesitate to become your worst nightmare if you do not do what I say.

this thing is valid also for king kenny

this not be a threat but a promise!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed