The beacon on Acheron

Started by TheBATMAN, Dec 08, 2014, 06:18:25 PM

Author
The beacon on Acheron (Read 3,856 times)

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Can someone help me with this please?

So the company somehow pick up the signal emanating from LV-426, manage to magically decipher enough of it to suggest there is a living creature of unknown origin located there. Engage Special Order 937 and then put Ash on the Nostromo. Fine.

But after the events of Alien, do the company suddenly forget about the beacon and its location? Why exactly was it untouched for 57 years? Or more specifically, the 15 years until the crew of the Marlow shut it off? Surely Weyland Yutani would have sent every available man to locate that site after Ash and the Nostromo vanished. Am I missing something here?

River of Pain suggests that the company knew only roughly where the signal was coming from and established a colony on Archeron in the hopes it was the right place. (Which begs the question why wasn't LV-223 investigated?) But why do they only now have a rough idea of its location?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Volcanic activity damaged the derelict and silenced the beacon.  You can see the damage in the special edition and James Cameron himself said that this is what happened.

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Dec 08, 2014, 06:18:25 PM
Or more specifically, the 15 years until the crew of the Marlow shut it off?

What the fong?

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Yeah my bad, I mean Captain Marlow of the Anesidora. That or the volcanic activity, whatever explanation you subscribe to, why can't the company find it considering they picked up the beacon in the first place and knew exactly where to send the Nostromo to?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Good question.  It's possible that they didn't know about beacon at all, but then why replace the science officer with Ash?

I believe someone, maybe Ridley Scott himself, theorized that an unmanned company probe detected the beacon's transmission prior to the Nostromo's departure from Thedus, but it didn't have an exact point of origin.

Remember, even though Mother detected the transmission and woke up the crew, Lambert still had to do some searching before they discovered it was coming from a planetoid in the Zeta II Reticuli system.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

It was likely an inside job with only a couple of individuals (or individual) operating without The Company's knowledge or consent. Much like Burke in Aliens.

After the Nostromo went missing they probably covered up everything and just dropped the issue to avoid a possible blame trail leading to them.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

In a deleted moment from ALIEN it was Dallas that switched off the signal on the Space Jockey's console.Don't know if it was filmed?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

It wasn't filmed but it was in the script, novelization and storyboard.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Dec 08, 2014, 08:48:57 PM
It wasn't filmed but it was in the script, novelization and storyboard.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_oLPxM7_4Cf0/TJ6E3RurJ8I/AAAAAAAABKA/OAs6rLqqGbs/s320/picture024.bmp
And comic book.Too bad it wasn't filmed.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Even so, it still doesn't provide an adequate explanation for why Weyland-Yutani could never find the derelict. Even if the Nostromo passed into the rough region of where the beacon was, it still didn't take Lambert much navigation to pinpoint it. I don't know how many moons are in Zeta II Reticuli but surely the company would have found it before 57 years passed?

It just comes across as if all record of the beacon ever existing is wiped, and the company only become aware of the Alien again once Ripley returns when really they should have found it decades earlier.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

As if the Planet could not be photographed from a distance with a satellite -- pinpointing the location of the thing THEN shouldn't have been an issue.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Dec 08, 2014, 09:49:00 PM
It just comes across as if all record of the beacon ever existing is wiped.

That's because it obviously was.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Dec 08, 2014, 10:14:51 PM
It just comes across as if all record of the beacon ever existing is wiped.

That's because it obviously was.

Why wipe all existence of the very thing you are desperately looking for?

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Even so, it still doesn't provide an adequate explanation for why Weyland-Yutani could never find the derelict. Even if the Nostromo passed into the rough region of where the beacon was, it still didn't take Lambert much navigation to pinpoint it. I don't know how many moons are in Zeta II Reticuli but surely the company would have found it before 57 years passed?

It just comes across as if all record of the beacon ever existing is wiped, and the company only become aware of the Alien again once Ripley returns when really they should have found it decades earlier.
Seems like it.It's never been adequately explained why it took the colonists so long to discover the Derelict either,despite the fact it suffered further damage from volcanic activity which may have switched off it's beacon.An aerial survey of the planet would have revealed the Derelict a lot sooner.

Valaquen

Valaquen

So the company somehow pick up the signal emanating from LV-426, manage to magically decipher enough of it to suggest there is a living creature of unknown origin located there. Engage Special Order 937 and then put Ash on the Nostromo. Fine.

But after the events of Alien, do the company suddenly forget about the beacon and its location? Why exactly was it untouched for 57 years? Or more specifically, the 15 years until the crew of the Marlow shut it off? Surely Weyland Yutani would have sent every available man to locate that site after Ash and the Nostromo vanished. Am I missing something here?

The Company only knew about the signal. They knew nothing about aliens or the Alien.

Ridley explained that androids like Ash were often sent on missions with company vessels, often clandestinely. Such a policy "would seem to be the normal development of a huge corporation trying to protect its interests. In this particular future, it would be very easy for "pirating" to exist. Corporations will have to find ways to assure that vehicles carrying minerals or vital information will not be hijacked."

Ridley explained further: "[T]he world has been converted into the property of two or three large conglomerates whose sources of energy are provided by the exploitation of deposits in space. The super cargo spaceships that link Earth and the planets would transport enormous loads of minerals: gas, oil and the like. To dissuade the crews from rebelling and to protect their own interests, these companies might place spies aboard, or at least would make the crews believe in the presence of such spies. Gradually a legend would evolve that these people, whose identities remain unknown, are in fact robots. Furthermore, nobody would ever have proof. This would reinforce legends already currently among the astronauts."

Ash was placed deliberately on the Nostromo so the Company could successfully investigate a beacon emanating from a mysterious, far-out planetoid. However, Ridley has repeatedly shot down the suggestion that the Company was aware of the Alien payload: "I think any corporation that sends probes into unknown territory is going to think of the possibility of finding something new," he said. "I'm sure that the crew members on all its ships would have been briefed to bring back anything of interest. It would be part of one's job to bring it back. An alien, of course, would be of top priority. This particular corporation didn't have a preconceived notion that an alien would be found on this mission, much less the particular Alien that is brought onto the ship. The idea of bringing it back alive would not have been on the minds of the corporate executives when they first received the alien transmission. They just had high expectations when they ordered the Nostromo to investigate – it was purely out of curiosity."

This of course also explains Weyland-Yutani's lack of action regarding the derelict and the eggs following the events of Alien. Ridley added: "I would have thought that Earth would have previously received messages [from space], realised they were coming from an intelligent source but, for economy reasons, perhaps have postponed the preparation of an investigatory spacecraft. Then, one day, Nostromo is in the vicinity and the order is given for the crew to bring back the Alien, good or evil, without any real thought being given to the consequences. The presence of the robot virtually guarantees, in principle, the success of the mission."

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

River of Pain suggests that the company knew only roughly where the signal was coming from and established a colony on Archeron in the hopes it was the right place. (Which begs the question why wasn't LV-223 investigated?) But why do they only now have a rough idea of its location?

It certainly does seem to get messy but I suppose it becomes a case of the Company rather than acknowledge their faults, being willing to sweep things under the carpet after the problem they had with the Nostromo disappearing because that might be considered an embarrassment and perhaps they'd rather keep their whole interest in intelligent alien life forms as covert, and eventually should they want to actually do something with the derelict, they have people on the planet to make it theirs and no one would be able to land on the planet without them knowing about it and perhaps they would have turned the derelict's transmitter off.

Ridley's version of The Company are willing to take too many risks to chase up these things around the galaxy while Cameron's version of the Company perhaps have gone to the planet to take it over and claim the derelict as theirs without wishing to do anything with it and then they forget what they're on the planet for years later unprepared for the time when someone tells them to go and see what that derelict ship is and it results in a catastrophe and maybe Hadley's Hope gets destroyed and they can't deny to themselves that there was an derelict ship with aliens eggs aboard, they just deny that have known about and nature caused the transmitter to break down decades ago rather than blame their own important people, and the people making the decisions will allow themselves to feel as if they are doing everything for the good of the Company and its image so they they'll get payed more or promoted. That's a way for me to fill in the gaps shown. I'm not one hundred percent sure about what to make of Fincher's version of The Company still.

I don't know anything about Captain Marlow of the Anesidora or how valid the ideas of the writer of River of Pain can be considered in relation to what was going on in the Alien movies.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed