damaged synthetic......

Started by LV-12986, Sep 19, 2014, 11:51:43 AM

Author
damaged synthetic...... (Read 7,878 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Lol no. LV-426 is a glow-in-the-dark ball of radioactivity, according to Wren.

SM

SM

QuoteIt was too bad they didn't have more historical information.  Gediman considered it a scientific tragedy that they couldn't go back to planet LV-426, where the Aliens were originally discovered by the Nostromo crew.  The wealth of information that must have been there!  But the derelict with it's bizarre cargo of thousands of eggs had been destroyed when the reactor of a damaged atmospheric processor had exploded, leaving nothing behind but radioactive waste and a crater nineteen megahectares in size.  LV-426 would never be habitable again.

Ripley had escaped the destruction of LV-426 with a few others, but had ended up on Fiorina 161 when her ship malfunctioned.  A single warrior Alien has emerged there, waiting for the Queen that Ripley had unknowingly harbored.  But that warrior had been destroyed, and Ripley had committed suicide to ensure the Queen inside her would never emerge.

That might have been the end of human contact with the Aliens, since all attempts, both by military scientists and private corporations, to discover the Aliens' planet of origin had failed to turn up a single clue, in spite of the hundreds of surveyed worlds that existed.  The secret of the nearly perfect organisms had died in the holocaust on LV-426, until the discovery of Ripley's preserved blood and tissue samples from LV-426.

Of course some will try and re-interpret that - but there you go.

Incidentally, 19 megahectares is just a little under the size of Nebraska (20.05 Mha).

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Oct 01, 2014, 10:30:46 PMIncidentally, 19 megahectares is just a little under the size of Nebraska (20.05 Mha).

Well you wouldn't expect Bishop to be wrong, would you.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Except that Bishop said "vapor cloud the size of Nebraska", not "crater the size of Nebraska".

A very big difference in terminology.

SM

SM

I suspect the line in the book was a coincidence.

Jango1201

Jango1201

I smell more WY conspiracy. I suspect they would would say anything to keep rivals and investigations away from what they believe is rightfully theirs. Including spreading a story and falsifying documents on how deadly the planet has now become after the processor blew.

SM

SM

You think USM just took their word for it?

The ECA would've mounted an investigation when the AP blew anyway.

Jango1201

Jango1201

They probably fell victim to WY as well.  :D

SM

SM

???

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Oct 02, 2014, 12:36:40 PM
Except that Bishop said "vapor cloud the size of Nebraska", not "crater the size of Nebraska".

A very big difference in terminology.

Yeah, it's kinda hard to to reconcile Bishop's estimate of a ~40 megaton explosion and blast radius of 30km with what the AR novelization says.  I have no problem believing that the blast alone took the derelict with it, but the novelizations all seem to contain information that's too sketchy to rely upon.

Jango1201

SM

SM

???

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I think he means to say that the company would kill anyone the ECA sent in order to maintain their ruse about the planet being uninhabitable.

Of course, given the company's behavior in this game, that's not altogether unreasonable to assume.  If they'll attack colonial marines, who won't they attack?

Jango1201

Jango1201

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 06, 2014, 11:37:33 PM
I think he means to say that the company would kill anyone the ECA sent in order to maintain their ruse about the planet being uninhabitable.

Of course, given the company's behavior in this game, that's not altogether unreasonable to assume.  If they'll attack colonial marines, who won't they attack?

Exactly what I was getting at.

Quote from: SM on Oct 06, 2014, 10:24:37 PM
???

Sorry buddy  :(

SM

SM

Such is athe mindlessness of this game that the Company thinks they'll get away with slaughtering marines in great numbers.

And yes, based on that they'd slaughter pretty much anyone.

Mikey Neumann trolled us all good.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed