New Predator Film: Dutch carry on or new plot?

Started by Thunderjack88, Jun 26, 2014, 07:11:32 PM

Author
New Predator Film: Dutch carry on or new plot? (Read 4,047 times)

Thunderjack88

So guessing on if we will actually finally find out what happened to Dutch after the first film or will it be a completely new storyline?

Personally I'd like to see old man Dutch either living in fear or activally working with a secret ops team that hunt/track the Predators.

-Lumberjack1988

OpenMaw

I don't know for sure, but i'm fairly certain the initial idea was to have Dutch leading the team we saw in Predator 2. Which, if it had ended up playing the same way as it does in the final film, that would have been interesting to see Arnie playing a shady character instead of a purely good guy.

Thunderjack88

It was confirmed that he was to play that role (its hinted by a joke that the lead guy says referencing Arnie).

Maybe we will see him cast out as the guy that people think are mad with his Alien stories and the new team will find him for information tying up his story and meaning we can have a younger actor taking up the lead role.
-Lumberjack1988

HuDaFuK

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 26, 2014, 08:10:32 PMI don't know for sure, but i'm fairly certain the initial idea was to have Dutch leading the team we saw in Predator 2.
Correct, the original idea was that Dutch was going to be in charge of the team that's after the Predator in the second film. However, Arnie hated the idea of taking the Predator to the city, and also disliked the idea of doing sequels in general after Conan the Destroyer flopped, so he turned the role down. They later rewrote it as Keyes and cast Gary Busey.

Part of me wishes he had done it, especially if they'd kept it under wraps and tweaked the film so he isn't revealed until Harrigan is captured. That would've been great. But at the same time, the fact he didn't do it stopped the series being an 'Arnie' franchise, which is also a good thing if you ask me.

RakaiThwei

Personally, I wouldn't want to see Dutch come back but considering that this is Shane Black behind the project.. There is a very good chance that we will likely end up seeing Dutch in the sequel. I wouldn't want to see Arnold doing action type stuff, maybe more something along the lines of a mentor role or an advisory liaison.

Magegg

I'd like that. If they're going for this to be a sequel, I'm sure they will try to get Schwarzeneger.

Just don't make him the protagonist, God, that man is like 80 years old. Have him explaining something, perhaps trying to fight a Predator with a certain success, and then get him killed. That would mean things are serious.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Magegg on Jun 27, 2014, 04:46:42 PM
Just don't make him the protagonist, God, that man is like 80 years old.

He's only 66.. In three days, he'll be turning 67.

Spoonman101

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jun 27, 2014, 04:49:54 PM

*Slaps hand on forehead*
Why would you know that hahaha!

Magegg

Thunderjack88

Quote from: Spoonman101 on Jun 27, 2014, 05:14:19 PM
Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jun 27, 2014, 04:49:54 PM

*Slaps hand on forehead*
Why would you know that hahaha!

Quick internet search to find out his age seems the logical answer.

I wonder if Dutch will get replaced by his Brother from the comics

RakaiThwei

Quote from: lumberjack1988 on Jun 27, 2014, 08:19:13 PM
I wonder if Dutch will get replaced by his Brother from the comics

It's not likely that any of the movies would be beholden to the comics. While I do love the expanded universe material, those would be considered secondary canon until the movies contradict them. And with the new comics being released, it's likely that the old material might be dumped altogether.

Liberator

I'd like that. If they're going for this to be a sequel, I'm sure they will try to get Schwarzeneger.

Just don't make him the protagonist, God, that man is like 80 years old. Have him explaining something, perhaps trying to fight a Predator with a certain success, and then get him killed. That would mean things are serious.

This would absolutely horrible.  In my opinion, Dutch is the hero of the entire franchise.  No disrespect to Danny Glover, but Dutch should be the lead again and he should maybe work with Harrigan to stop the predators from ever hunting us again.  THAT is a story that needs to be told.

Master

If Arnie and Danny were to appear then as cameo or small episode only. This is about human struggle against impossible enemy. Not another Arnold flick/Expandables spinoff.

HuDaFuK

The biggest problem is they're just too damn old. Arnie was in his physical prime when they made the original film, and even then the Predator practically beat him to a pulp. Trying to have him fight one now would just be the most stupid, laughable thing ever. Danny Glover's no spring chicken either.

Part of me would quite like Dutch to be in the film. A cameo could work nicely. But I don't want him going anywhere near a confrontation with a Predator. Unless it kills him. That'd be a ballsy move for the film to make.

Master

Yeah it would, but I want to believe that survivors are left alone so they can procreate and give better pray for future hunts. P2 ending indicates that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed