Started by predxeno, Nov 02, 2013, 06:52:41 PM

Did you like Prometheus?

Yes
96 (65.8%)
No
50 (34.2%)

Total Members Voted: 145

Author
Did you like Prometheus? (Read 47,778 times)

predxeno

predxeno

I've been receiving mixed reports on whether this film is good or not, so I'm making a poll to determine what the community's stance on the film is.  Is it good or bad?  Personally, I didn't like the film much; I couldn't relate to the protagonist Shaw and I felt the themes between this film and Alien were too different to conflate.

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Same for me really.  I've tried to like it, even bought it after a year or so, but just find it so hard to watch right through.  In the end for me at least, while there is a lot to like about Prometheus, there is just too much to dislike about it... if you know what I mean!

Rong

Rong

I Liked it,

Particularly the first half,

I also liked the engineers design.

And I like the layering in the film.

Things I don't like about it.

The editing

Some of the acting and some of the dialogue.

aliens13

aliens13

I really like it. I love the monsters design, especially the deacon. I also like the story.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Like individual aspects of it? Sure. Liked it as a whole? No, just felt rather underwhelmed.

It's never been about 'hating'.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Its not a bad movie, but it lacks the artsy images of the first one and lacks a unique mood. It blends in more with other scifi movies rather than being something of a lead. I think the limitations of the old times as far as special effects really added a lot to the artistic vision. For example, the low light and haze in Alien were done to hide the miniatures' true nature or sets that didnt work well. In Jaws, the shark didnt work so they went with Hitchock's approach of not showing much.

Visual presentation aside, it just doesnt stand out from storytelling, character and design. I also think shoving Giger aside was a terribly missed opportunity, his unique vision and mind really did make the creature an icon and the look of the Alien special

predxeno

predxeno

I think when making a movie with "ties to Alien", people were expecting a very different sort of film.  The original Alien was essentially a "slasher movie in space" and this theme was carried out to each one of the sequels.  The Predator movies also had this slasher theme where the characters were hunted down until there was only one of two left, even the AVP movies (no matter how much people hated them) preserved this element. 

Prometheus was very different, however, there were very few characters the audience actually cared about and the majority of the cast was cannon fodder for monsters, etc.  Also due to poor editing, dead characters magically resurrect themselves back to life in that magic time between Fifield's attack and the confrontation scene between Vickers and her father.  All in all, Prometheus could have been a great film but the ties to Alien ultimately held it back from being what it was aiming to be.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: predxeno on Nov 02, 2013, 08:53:59 PM
I think when making a movie with "ties to Alien", people were expecting a very different sort of film.  The original Alien was essentially a "slasher movie in space" and this theme was carried out to each one of the sequels.

I wouldnt agree with that. I think Aliens and even more Alien 3 are more character centered and are about character's emotional journey, with aliens being more of a backdrop

predxeno

predxeno

Well, I do remember that one of the producers did describe Alien as a slasher film in space; I think that was Ridley Scott.  Either way, I did get a sense of fearful suspense in those films as I saw characters hunted down and taken out one by one while I was rooting for my favorites; I just didn't feel that same way with Prometheus.

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

Liked it very much. Loved the feel of it. The world. Sets, wardrobe, vehicles, all the tech. The weird creepy simplicity of the Engineers and the mystery of what they were up to.

Hated the pacing. Felt like half a movie stretched out to fill the running time. Not enough natural character banter. Needed to be more of a full fledged assemble piece rather than focusing on two or three characters. A lot of wasted talent.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Well the first one yeah, it was a simple ages old monster in space slasher story with a unique presentation. The sequels werent tho. I knew Prometheus wont be an alien movie, wont be a grunge movie and wont be a horror movie, but it doesnt have much going for it. To quote a casual movie fan that I know who answered me why he doesnt like Prometheus, "it has nothing going for it. CGI isnt thrilling for over a decade now, it doesnt have suspense, it doesnt evoke fear, it isnt in any way unique or different than any other generic space scifi movies of the CGI era and its not even interesting at all"

predxeno

predxeno

Regardless of how we define "slasher film", I think the general consensus here is that Prometheus wasn't about the suspense or fear factor that made the Alien series so successful, but was about the "answering questions" theme that, at the end, it sold out on simply to create an opening to sequels and inevitably a series that very few of us actually want to go into.

Gash

Gash

I'm not sure I understand this casual viewers gripe about CGI. In what way does Prometheus rely on excessive CGI? It's one of the most practically shot films of recent years and what CGI there is is blended far better than most.

predxeno

predxeno

CGI has never bothered me to be honest.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Loved the look of it, the human ship especially, even didn't mind the new 'alien' stuff, although it was a bit sterile compared to Giger's original sets. Really liked the opening and the Prometheus landing sequences.

The rest of it? Categorically awful.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed