The Official Anime Thread

Started by Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion, Nov 01, 2012, 01:07:22 AM

Author
The Official Anime Thread (Read 225,280 times)

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Parasyte is really awesome and good too. People who enjoy John Carpenter's The Thing might get a kick out of it.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion on Jul 30, 2015, 03:21:39 PM
Do so! Blue Gender is a classic! Before I list sci-fi stuff I must ask: What are your thoughts about mecha? Because those usually go with sci-fi like chocolate and peanut butter.

As in like the Knights in Sidonia? I don't mind them.

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Jul 30, 2015, 09:24:46 PM
Parasyte is really awesome and good too. People who enjoy John Carpenter's The Thing might get a kick out of it.

Ohh. I'll look into that one! Thanks.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion

QuoteAs in like the Knights in Sidonia? I don't mind them.
Never saw that one. :P I'll keep to as sci-fi related as possible

-Armored Trooper VOTOMS
-Gundam X
-Gundam SEED and Destiny
-Victory Gundam
-Gundam 00
-Gundam F91
-Metal Armor Dragonar
-Mazinger Z (original and remake)
-Getter Robo Armageddon
-New Getter Robo
-Macross Zero
-Macross 7
-Zegapain
-Brave of The Sun Fighbird (very kid friendly)
-Dai-Guard (more of a comedy, but still)
-Aura Battler Dunbine
-Zambot 3
-Daitarn 3
-Detonator Orgun
-Dangaizer 3
-Great Dangaioh
-Hades Project Zeorymer
-Godannar!!
-Gravion
-Eureka Seven (first series, movie, and Astral Ocean)
-MD Geist 1 and 2
-Heavy Metal L-Gaim
-Six God Combination God Mars
-Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
-Giant Gorg
-Brave of Legend Da-Garn (probably one of the best environmental messages in any fiction period)
-Betterman
-Argento Soma
-Metal Skin Panic Madox 01
-Gyguard
-Dancouga (original and Nova)
-Galaxy Cyclone Braiger (aka 80s Cowboy Bebop)
-Angel Links (avoid Outlaw Star it is trash)

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Bumping for Twin Drive

HappyAlien

HappyAlien

I really hope they make more Berserk movies i only recently watched the series then the movies. I cannot understand why they left the series with just one season on that cliffhanger.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Yeah Berserk gets kinda screw over when it becomes a anime. So far, no news for a 4th film and beyond. Kill la Kill ended on Toonami and such a great show. One of my favorite anime shows in recent history.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion on Jul 31, 2015, 02:31:28 PM
QuoteAs in like the Knights in Sidonia? I don't mind them.
Never saw that one. :P I'll keep to as sci-fi related as possible

-Armored Trooper VOTOMS
-Gundam X
-Gundam SEED and Destiny
-Victory Gundam
-Gundam 00
-Gundam F91
-Metal Armor Dragonar
-Mazinger Z (original and remake)
-Getter Robo Armageddon
-New Getter Robo
-Macross Zero
-Macross 7
-Zegapain
-Brave of The Sun Fighbird (very kid friendly)
-Dai-Guard (more of a comedy, but still)
-Aura Battler Dunbine
-Zambot 3
-Daitarn 3
-Detonator Orgun
-Dangaizer 3
-Great Dangaioh
-Hades Project Zeorymer
-Godannar!!
-Gravion
-Eureka Seven (first series, movie, and Astral Ocean)
-MD Geist 1 and 2
-Heavy Metal L-Gaim
-Six God Combination God Mars
-Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
-Giant Gorg
-Brave of Legend Da-Garn (probably one of the best environmental messages in any fiction period)
-Betterman
-Argento Soma
-Metal Skin Panic Madox 01
-Gyguard
-Dancouga (original and Nova)
-Galaxy Cyclone Braiger (aka 80s Cowboy Bebop)
-Angel Links (avoid Outlaw Star it is trash)

Thanks, I'll check some of these out!

By request of Hellspawn28 I took on Bastard!! with TWO exclamation points! So yes, my thoughts  can be summed up as:

>AWESOME MAIN CHARACTER
>AWESOME ACTION
>MUSIC THAT DOESN'T SUCK
>AWESOME SIDE CHARACTERS
>AWESOME ART
>AWESOME MONSTERS
>GOOD PACING (minus a some points in the second half)
>COMEDY THAT WAS FUNNY
>THAT EVERYTHING

This officially made it into my top twenty anime of all time! No joke, it was that friggin amazing! It would have been top 10 and easily beat out the second Gurren Lagann movie, but that cliffhanger ending killed it. Dark Schneider also officially trumps Daemon Abashiri as my favorite "morally ambiguous" anime character! Maybe I'll post character lists in the future.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Glad that you liked Bastard. The anime ran on a short note since there was some production issues with the OVA series. The manga is still on going on and I wish a new anime series.

You guys should check out Aquarion Logos when you get the chance, the last episode had a giant bug being stabbed to death by a rainbow with the titular mecha turning into a dragonfly and this line of hilarity.

Spoiler
[close]

The last episode also had the internet set on fire from people hating each other, forming a literal flame war. :laugh:

Savior-kun confirmed for saving anime.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Anime I'm currently watching:

Akame Ga Kill
Dragon Ball Super
Golgo 13

Anime that I competed this year:

Kill La Kill: A
Parasyte: A
Baka and Test Season 1: B+
Baka and Test Season 2 and the two OVA's: B+
Gunsmith Cats: B+
Sword of the Stranger: B+
Urotsukidoji - Legend of the Overfiend: B+ (gulity pleasure)
Baoh: B (gulity pleasure)
Battle Royal High School: B (gulity pleasure)
Dragon Ball Z - Resurrection F: B
Genocyber: B (gulity pleasure)
Mazinkaizer SKL: B
Vampire Hunter D: B
Riding Bean: B-
Labyrinth of Flames: B-
Black Magic M-66: C+
Urotsukidoji III - Return of the Overfiend: C+
Demon City Shinjuku: C
Iron Virgin Jun: C
Blood Reign: Curse of the Yoma: C-
Urotsukidoji II - Legend of the Demon Womb: C-
Urotsukidoji IV - Inferno Road: D
Dark Cat : D- (The bad dubbing makes it somewhat watchable)
Mars of Destruction: E+ (gets a B on a so bad it's good level)
Double Duty Nurses: E
Skelter+Heaven: F

For this post I will be taking on Doomed Megalopolis, a four episode 90s ova recommended by HellSpawn28. I was expecting something gory yet entertaining like Demon City Shinjuku, Devilman, Cybernetic Guardian, Geno Cyber, Violence Jack, MD Geist 1 and 2, etc. What I got instead was a travesty on a magnitude I was not prepared for.

The animation is lackluster for an OVA of its time complete with questionable consistency and failing at anatomy (in example, glut cracks are not drawn and the camera poking through wooden bars gives it the illusion they are moving away from each other). This isn't getting into the obnoxious amount of ecchi material and gratuitous sex garbage (especially multiple accounts of rape that are unnecessary). Half the run time is layered with filler/padding/time wasting/things not relevant to the plot. The music has a bad habit of not being fitting with what is going on and is kind of bad on it's own. Then there are really stupid moments like when Kouta constantly strangles women and removes anti-demon seals for no reason. For a series about a city we barely know much about it beyond the budget used to make it and the earthquake that busts it up halfway through is not even shown. In other words the title is kind of a lie AND it should have ended at the half way point! The final episode throws in a second massive conflict that wasn't built up and moments not pertaining to the plot act like an overly dark epilogue. To top it all off there are WAY TOO MANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS: Why the hell is Kato dressed like a soldier? Why do people call him a demon when he is a sorcerer? (we see actual demons he summons) If he is a minion of the dragon he is trying to wake up, why does he continue when said dragon explicitly states he doesn't want to wake up? Why does a horse god wait until the final episode bother doing jack squat? Why does the Moon have demonic magic, it is a celestial body and has more in common with Heaven. Why are pentagrams associated with magic in Japan when that is a European idea? How the hell is only Japan affected by the Moon being so friggin close to the Earth? How was everything brought back normal after what SHOULD have had cataclysmic results? How did Kato get inside a demon that spews acid without dissolving? Why were the stars being affected by something happened on EARTH!? Why did that demon spawn have an actual penis mouth complete with a urethra!? HOW THE HELL ARE THE DEMONS AT THE END SUDDENLY PURIFIED!? What the hell was the staff of this thinking!?

And that ending was a perfect example of tone whiplash that went against the dark setting it was going for. Every "bad" OVA people complain about (IE Skelter+Heaven, Mars of Destruction, Vampire Wars, Psychic Wars, Plastic Little, Roots Search, Sword For Truth, and the like) usually ends with one friggin episode, this went on for four with an overall length over two and a half hours, most movies are not that long! This was a special level of stupid riddled with sex junk and bad production quality that warrants ultimate scolding.

1/10

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Good review AH. I'm surprise that you hated it since I thought you would enjoy it. I didn't like it much neither and the dub for it was pretty bad too.

^I thought I did too, but it wasn't the tolerable kind of stupid. Most schlocky OVAs I watch do not last THAT long nor are they that boring. Would you believe I watched an anime even worse than that recently?

The second episode is even worse complete with vag-crawling eels and a scat appeal slide. Just....... GAH!

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Anyone here seen or read One Punch Man? It's awesome so far. If you love classic superheros, classic shonen anime and tokusatsu then you would enjoy One Punch Man.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed