Weyland Corporation and Weyland Industries

Started by Local Trouble, Sep 24, 2012, 12:36:33 AM

Author
Weyland Corporation and Weyland Industries (Read 20,731 times)

Local Trouble

So if one ignores the web site and viral ads, one can postulate that Prometheus and AvP are reconcilable.  No?

SM

Dunno.  I've only seen Prometheus once so I don't know if there's anything else that shits on the AvP chronology.

Local Trouble

I watched it carefully looking for any.  Didn't see any, but I might have missed something.

SM

There might something on a screen or some piece of dialogue that might change things.  But as I said, I don't know yet.

Personally, I've put Alien, AvP and Prometheus in slightly seperate baskets for the time being.

Local Trouble

Cool site.  Nice job researching all that.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: RaisingCane on Sep 24, 2012, 01:51:22 AM
So if one ignores the web site and viral ads, one can postulate that Prometheus and AvP are reconcilable.  No?

There was enough time which had gone by for a slight change of name, yes. I'm sure there have been other companies which have had new management and transitioned from 'Limited' to 'Incorporated' or something.

Could even have been something along the lines of Charles' death leading to various aspects of the original Weyland enterprise being broken up and then Peter happened to steer one of those remaining divisions to super awesome status.

Nightmare Asylum

It is also kind of interesting that they both went out and discovered pyramids with connections to not just the Aliens, but they're own past as well.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Sep 24, 2012, 02:29:42 AMCould even have been something along the lines of Charles' death leading to various aspects of the original Weyland enterprise being broken up and then Peter happened to steer one of those remaining divisions to super awesome status.

Are we still adhering to the notion that Peter founded his own company and didn't simply inherit it?

whiterabbit

meh, I chalk it up to there being more than one weyland in the world.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: RaisingCane on Sep 24, 2012, 02:40:39 AM
Are we still adhering to the notion that Peter founded his own company and didn't simply inherit it?

I was pointing out there's more than one way to skin the proverbial cat. In the idea above, I was saying that he could've inherited it, but decided to run with a particular division after the company potentially got broken up, to explain the change in the company name.

Doesn't have to be forced, of course. Sometimes, companies can do it voluntarily. I think Richard Branson did it a number of times with various aspects of his Virgin enterprise.

SM

Think I prefer dodgy officially sanctioned stories over dodgy fan made up stories.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: SM on Sep 25, 2012, 05:58:07 AM
Think I prefer dodgy officially sanctioned stories over dodgy fan made up stories.

Going by all the stuff like Weyland inventing pulse rifles which have ridiculous ranges on them, powerloaders and all the rest of it, I think it pretty much qualifies as a dodgy fan made-up story. :)

It's the 'Fifty Shades Of Grey' of the 'Alien' continuity. Fan fic dressed up with a budget.

SM

Not really.  The key is 'officially sanctioned'.

Fox clearly isn't trying to tie everything together, thus leaving fans with an ultimately futile task.

Xenomrph

As a completionist I don't really have a problem including all the Weyland viral stuff (as questionable as some of it is), and likewise I don't feel it's completely irreconcilable with the movies, AvP included. It's easy enough to write off inconsistencies in the corporate timeline as being from an unreliable, biased source, not to mention I recall it being inconsistent *with itself* - there's other parts of the Weyland website that talk about Weyland Industries existing pre-2012, which would be at odds with the corporate timeline.

SpeedyMaxx

What if my heart is irreconcilable with AVP, Xenomrph?  What then?  Who do I call in the night, with my tears?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed