Reasons why Xenomorphs ARE intelligent creatures

Started by War Wager, Feb 13, 2009, 08:44:18 PM

Author
Reasons why Xenomorphs ARE intelligent creatures (Read 33,730 times)

Xenomrph

Well perhaps not as smart as chimpanzees - that article talks about chimpanzees as tool-makers, which is a huge deal when it comes to "intelligence". I don't really see Aliens as making tools; pressing buttons is one thing, constructing the button is something else entirely. My cat can work a door knob, but she certainly can't make one.

Of course, the problem here is we're comparing Aliens and humans, two species which have completely different physical abilities and social goals. One could argue that we'll never see Aliens making tools because they don't need to, and that we see them throwing their lives away in front of rapid-fire weapons because they've got different social priorities than humans do. Humans, as individuals, value their own mortality. Aliens probably don't.

Darwinsgirl

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 14, 2009, 07:37:43 PM
Well perhaps not as smart as chimpanzees - that article talks about chimpanzees as tool-makers, which is a huge deal when it comes to "intelligence". I don't really see Aliens as making tools; pressing buttons is one thing, constructing the button is something else entirely. My cat can work a door knob, but she certainly can't make one.

I like the cat comparison *smile*. That's a good point. :)And I see where this could apply to an Alien watching then pushing the same button. 

But would a cat kill another cat to use its blood (loosely ;))as a "tool" to escape? This shows planning not just a learned skill (turning the door knob).

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 14, 2009, 07:37:43 PM
Of course, the problem here is we're comparing Aliens and humans, two species which have completely different physical abilities and social goals.

I agree with you on this too. I think that we make these comparisons of the species because of the host/offspring connection. Wondering how much is human in the formula?

Xenomrph

I dunno, I have a half dozen pet hermit crabs, and they use eachother as "tools" to do stuff. They'll stack on eachother to get into places, or cooperate to move things in their tank around to try and escape, stuff like that.

Darwinsgirl

Ok "Noah" :D  (((kidding)))

Before we go thru anymore critters...I think we're at a stalemate ;)

Its been fun debating this ;D

Maybe the next movie will have more incite to this...

cheers,

Darwinsgirl

Celtic-predator

Quote from: CanadianHero67 on Feb 14, 2009, 07:12:46 PM
They only seem intelligent because of the way terrify and intimidate humans but in reality they are not that intelligent and I believe that it is the truth. Infact if the humans knew enough about aliens the aliens would probably be nothing more than a herd of cattle in front of a machine gun.
Ripley's plan to trap the alien in Alien 3 helped proved that. One of the major reasons why is "In habit lies vulnerability".

Well we could assume, that the Alien in Alien 3 had limited mental capacity, given that it was birthed by a dog.

maledoro

Quote from: Celtic-predator on Feb 15, 2009, 12:41:34 AM
Well we could assume, that the Alien in Alien 3 had limited mental capacity, given that it was birthed by a dog.
But in order to make a safe assumption of this, we'd have to know that the aliens inherit intelligence from their hosts.

Xenomrph

Some would argue that the Alien in 'Alien3' was more "feral", and seemed to "play with its food" and whatnot, and acted more dog-like.

The problem with this is that all the stuff with the adult Alien's design and filming was done with the host being an ox in mind. Only later, when the ox-burster effects didn't work well enough, was the host changed to the dog.

Celtic-predator

Quote from: maledoro on Feb 15, 2009, 12:47:59 AM
But in order to make a safe assumption of this, we'd have to know that the aliens inherit intelligence from their hosts.

Do we have any official sources that confirm or go against this theory?

maledoro

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 15, 2009, 05:18:53 AM
Some would argue that the Alien in 'Alien3' was more "feral", and seemed to "play with its food" and whatnot, and acted more dog-like.
As some had believed that the alien on the Nostromo had raped Lambert, there are others who believed that the alien had toyed with her just as the alien on Fiorina had with its victims. It could very well be that the play/kill actions came from "the alien side of the family".

Xenomrph

Quote from: maledoro on Feb 15, 2009, 12:36:01 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 15, 2009, 05:18:53 AM
As some had believed that the alien on the Nostromo had raped Lambert, there are others who believed that the alien had toyed with her just as the alien on Fiorina had with its victims. It could very well be that the play/kill actions came from "the alien side of the family".
Well I was more showing the problem with people saying "it acted dog-like!" before people posted it as "evidence". :) That was the point of the second paragraph.

Quote from: Celtic-predator on Feb 15, 2009, 08:29:24 AM
Quote from: maledoro on Feb 15, 2009, 12:47:59 AM
Do we have any official sources that confirm or go against this theory?
With regard to intelligence? Not so much. Demeanor? Possibly. There's a few comics and novels that imply that some aspects of Alien behavior might be influenced by the host,notably 'Aliens: Rogue', which gave the example that Alliens born from docile sheep were mildly more docile; they were still vicious killers, but they weren't AS vicious as Aliens born from some other creatures.

maledoro

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 15, 2009, 03:31:37 PM
Well I was more showing the problem with people saying "it acted dog-like!" before people posted it as "evidence". :) That was the point of the second paragraph.
I was in your corner...
;)

CanadianHero67

If aliens were really intelligent, they would be moving as far away as possible from the atmosphere processor the moment the bullets went off inside it. ;)

Xenomrph

Well that's kinda absurd; you're assuming the Aliens understand what guns are, what the atmosphere processor is, and what damage the guns did to the atmosphere processor, and the ramifications of that damage. :P

CanadianHero67

If they are sooooo intelligent. Yes I do expect them to. Hell, dolphins can do math yet aliens can't (unless evidence is provided that they can).

Darwinsgirl

Quote from: CanadianHero67 on Feb 15, 2009, 06:15:22 PM
If aliens were really intelligent, they would be moving as far away as possible from the atmosphere processor the moment the bullets went off inside it. ;)

My "guess" as to why the Aliens chose the Hive to be near the atomsphere processor is to have it near an energy source/heat. In 4 instances of where eggs were housed it was "Hot" and on a lower level.

Kane "Its like the God damn tropics in here"  Frost "Its hotter than Hell"  Hudson.."Yea but its a dry heat" :D

Kane was lowered down in the derelict...the marines went down to a lower level. And in the directors cut of Alien. Ripley climbed down a ladder where Dallas & Brett were being turned into eggs (appeared to be hot from her appearance & surrounding).

Also in Resurrection Ripley was pulled thru the floor down to where the Queen was & Gediman & others were cocooned. Also appeared warm imo :)

Most species select the best possible place to insure the survival of their eggs/young.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed