AvPGalaxy's Least Favourite Movie

Started by War Wager, Apr 22, 2008, 04:29:38 PM

Which is your least fave movie of the whole franchise?

Predator
6 (1%)
Predator 2
15 (2.6%)
AvP: Alien vs. Predator
51 (8.8%)
AvPR: Aliens vs. Predator - Requiem
270 (46.6%)
Alien
9 (1.6%)
Aliens
7 (1.2%)
AlienĀ³
37 (6.4%)
Alien Resurrection
101 (17.4%)
Predators
12 (2.1%)
Prometheus
25 (4.3%)
Alien Covenant
12 (2.1%)
The Predator
34 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 559

Author
AvPGalaxy's Least Favourite Movie (Read 232,580 times)

Hyperdyne120-a2

Very hard to pick between AVPR and Resurrection...but Resurrection has to be my least favorite because it's canon. It disenfranchised the franchise. AVPR can at least be ignored. It also at least attempts to take itself seriously. Resurrection had those horrible comic beats (looking at your death scene, Dan Hadaya), and the Newborn was much harder to come to terms with than the almost-cool predalien. Cinematography in AVPR was one of its stronger points (though often too dark), while Res's cinematography was one of its weaker points. Don't get me wrong...as far as screenplay, I'd say Resurrection had much more potential, but the execution was so off key with what we'd seen before that I ignore it slightly harder than I ignore AVPR.

Reichu

Reichu

Still haven't seen the second and third Predator films, but it would be rather difficult for them to be worse than Requiem, so I'm just going to go with that.

Helipilot713

Resurrection by far is the WORST. Watching it makes me want to gouge my eyes out every time. It was incredibly forced. Bad premise. The aliens looked terrible. Newborn looked like a giant pile of s**t. Ripley 8 story was just stupid. This movie makes Alien Covenant and AVPR look halfway decent.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Helipilot713 on Nov 02, 2017, 03:03:35 AMResurrection by far is the WORST ... This movie makes AVPR look halfway decent.

No, it doesn't. All the points you listed as to why it's bad apply twofold to Requiem.

Resurrection's a decent film but a terrible Alien film. Requiem is just a terrible film full stop.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 02, 2017, 08:45:59 AM
Quote from: Helipilot713 on Nov 02, 2017, 03:03:35 AMResurrection by far is the WORST ... This movie makes AVPR look halfway decent.

No, it doesn't. All the points you listed as to why it's bad apply twofold to Requiem.

Resurrection's a decent film but a terrible Alien film. Requiem is just a terrible film full stop.

Agreed. Resurrection is not a good alien movie but it's not a bad movie. Requiem though... Resurrection is vastly superior to Requiem in terms of directing, editing, acting...

JokersWarPig

good lord, Requiem is getting destroyed by this poll  :laugh:

BishopShouldGo

This is tough! I have many reasons for several to qualify as my least favorite.

Is it Alien 3, for killing the alien franchise? It has still not recovered quality wise since, really. Besides spin off Prometheus. /also having terrible mo-motion/ depressing tone/ killing off great characters

Is it Alien resurrection for wasting Winona Ryder and being so simple and slimy and comedic?

Is it avp for being a painful colossal theatrical disappointment that was 80min and pg13?

Is it avp2? It was worse than avp but that first movie was the initial disappointment

Is it predators? That movie is the most boring I've ever watched

Is it Prometheus? Near perfect but no aliens to be the cherry on top

Is it Covenant? An alien movie with Scott back and fassbender starring but it was a big disappointment. Scott disappointing you is different from Anderson disappointing you

Scorpio

Scorpio

No movie actually killed the franchise as the franchise is still going.

But one movie did come close and it was called Aliens.  Not trying to be hipster or edgy or anything, but this is the elephant in the room.

Just read some of the aborted scripts to Alien 3 to see what may have happened if they tried to make another movie like Aliens.  Would have been a disaster.

Alien 3 in fact saved the franchise from this fate.  Walter Hill absolutely made the right call, you can listen to his thoughts on the making of Alien 3 documentary, and his view mirrors mine.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Nov 07, 2017, 01:42:16 AMIs it Alien 3, for killing the alien franchise?

They made another film just four years later and they're still making them now. How was it killed?

szkoki

szkoki

Covenant?

BigDaddyJohn

AVP or AVP:R, damn it ! They are the weakest cinematically speaking, no doubt about it !

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: Hyperdyne120-a2 on Aug 11, 2017, 01:22:47 AM
Very hard to pick between AVPR and Resurrection...but Resurrection has to be my least favorite because it's canon. It disenfranchised the franchise. AVPR can at least be ignored. It also at least attempts to take itself seriously. Resurrection had those horrible comic beats (looking at your death scene, Dan Hadaya), and the Newborn was much harder to come to terms with than the almost-cool predalien. Cinematography in AVPR was one of its stronger points (though often too dark), while Res's cinematography was one of its weaker points. Don't get me wrong...as far as screenplay, I'd say Resurrection had much more potential, but the execution was so off key with what we'd seen before that I ignore it slightly harder than I ignore AVPR.
I chose Resurrection, for many of the same reasons outlined by Hyperdyne.  I can enjoy AVPR in a similar way that I enjoy scifi originals, but not with Resurrection and how it was supposed to fit into the story.  Granted, they're both bad imo - I just think Resurrection is slightly more bad.

Huggs

Huggs

Covenant, for God's sake, Covenant. But AVP1, per the poll. Yeah, Resurrection wasn't fantastic, but at least it had the guts to show...guts. AVP 1 (out of the gate) was just too watered down for me, although the unrated cut felt like an improvement. Not sure why AVPR gets so much flack. I thought it brought a lot to the table. I admit it wasn't exactly what I wanted to see from an AVP film at the time, but it's definitely grown on me. Just like Predators. I couldn't stand it when I first saw it. I swore it was just awful. Now it's my second favorite Predator movie, after the first film of course. If it wasn't for Topher Grace, it might have become my favorite Predator film.

Corporal Hicks

I've added Covenant to the poll.

Shaun

Shaun

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 02, 2017, 08:45:59 AM

My thoughts summed up in a single post.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed