Horror?

Started by Krogo, Apr 12, 2008, 09:46:07 PM

Do you consider the Alien, Predator, or AVP franchises to be horror films?

Duh, of course they are
3 (6.7%)
Well, just Alien
14 (31.1%)
Just Predator
1 (2.2%)
Just AVP
1 (2.2%)
Who would call it horror?
3 (6.7%)
Some are, some aren't
23 (51.1%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author
Horror? (Read 5,303 times)

The Chibi Kiriyama

The Chibi Kiriyama

I would say that the fear of birth applies more for men in the case of the first Alien film. Look at the press that was generated over the "pregnant man"- most think of a man bearing a child as an odd or disturbing thought. Alien ramped up that natural uneasiness by having the facehugger force a man to bear its next stage. The Alien does do something questionable to Lambert, but its life cycle is most unnerving with Kane's situation.

Anyways, it's hard to say whether they're horrors by my own standards. Personally, I consider Alien to be the only horror out of all of them. In actuality, you could probably name any one of these films a horror as that's what the filmmakers intended ('cept maybe Aliens, as it was more of a thriller). But, by my own definition of a horrific film, Alien stands alone.

gameoverman

gameoverman

But why would I fear something that could never happen to me?  A man can never get pregnant.  It's more of a trivial thing.

There are similar things though - like parasites that live inside the body, ie. tapeworms or something. 

The Chibi Kiriyama

The Chibi Kiriyama

Horror, in many cases, is best when we know that something is happening to the human body which shouldn't. We don't generally associate a man with any sort of birth trauma. When it's referenced, it's scary because we know that's not supposed to happen. Sorta like that spider walk scene from The Exorcist where that girl slinks down the stairs. That movement is generally understood to be inhuman, which ramps up our unease while watching it.

b-raz

b-raz

Quote from: gameoverman on Apr 23, 2008, 07:59:03 AM
But why would I fear something that could never happen to me?  A man can never get pregnant.  It's more of a trivial thing.

There are similar things though - like parasites that live inside the body, ie. tapeworms or something. 

Exactly, so its Science fiction, and the only chance of u getting tapeworms is if u drank nothing but like sewer water, and ate almost nothing except rotten food from a dumpster I guess and never bathed, ever. Also, if u never did anything when u got sick like taking medicine or anti-biotics.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: The Chibi Kiriyama on Apr 23, 2008, 07:26:39 AM
I would say that the fear of birth applies more for men in the case of the first Alien film. Look at the press that was generated over the "pregnant man"- most think of a man bearing a child as an odd or disturbing thought. Alien ramped up that natural uneasiness by having the facehugger force a man to bear its next stage. The Alien does do something questionable to Lambert, but its life cycle is most unnerving with Kane's situation.

TBH I never saw it that way. I look at it and go "This is how the creature reproduces, independent of natural human reproductive means". So it doesn't bug me on that level.

XanltheCSG

XanltheCSG

Quote from: gameoverman on Apr 13, 2008, 03:57:27 AM

AVP - sci fi/children's film

lol  ;D

darcevil

darcevil

Alien was a horror film, everything after that was sci-fi thriller/action/adventure.

XENOWARRIOR

XENOWARRIOR

Quote from: brain_damage on Apr 18, 2008, 05:35:00 PM
true...but the scenes are not so horrorish in avp or avpr like in for example in Aliens, when the Queen splits that android at half...or the Newborn crushing heads...get what I mean? If i'd saw Alien and Predator i'd be more afraid of Alien that the Predator. Id high five Predator but shit my self when near Alien :D

yeah i get it... some are way more than others

ALIEN Horror, scariest of them all

funny thing, i dont consider it to scary, if i saw it in theaters, when it first came out, it might have scared me, , and even when i watched it the first time witch was like right before avp came out, i was like eight it wasnt all to sacry

DDvsPred

DDvsPred

I always thought Alien was more horror combined with science fiction. Aliens was sci-fi and action, Alien 3 was a return to Alien and Resurrection was more a mix of all of the movies. I remember someone once said Alien was a monster movie set in space.

The Predator movies IMO is horror, thriller, sci-fi and action all put together.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed