Alien and Predators decline: Franchise ownership being to blame?

Started by The Unknown, Nov 30, 2007, 04:38:13 AM

Author
Alien and Predators decline: Franchise ownership being to blame? (Read 3,218 times)

SM

Financially perhaps.  But qualitywise we're talking sewer.  Hence the metaphor in AvP-R.

Xhan

Ah sarcasm.

I do love it so.

Didn't seem to work for King Kong. or the Mummy. Or Dracula. or Freddie. or Jason. What worked in those cases was time. Lots and lots of time. Like LOTS of time. Decades even.

gameoverman

Quote from: SM on Nov 30, 2007, 06:36:50 AM
Financially perhaps.  But qualitywise we're talking sewer.  Hence the metaphor in AvP-R.

F**k - what I meant to say was "never recover".  Sometimes when I type I miss certain words that are in my head but don't translate into my typing fingers.  :P

Space Disc Jockey

Quote from: Xhan on Nov 30, 2007, 06:29:07 AM
Alien has been fueling video game and japanese monster design for thirty years.

Blade Runner begat Blind Justice. and Wipeout.

Not really a tie.

While "Alien" may of had a bigger influence, I think Blade Runner made alot of people think differently about the future and how it can be thought of. Fifth Element, for example. Blade Runner had more of an influence to science-fiction/film, than those examples you mentioned.

Anyway, no need to debate over Alien and BR. They are both great science-fiction films. Both made by the brilliant, Ridley. Why fight?

As for "VS" films...Godzilla seemed to do well with "VS" films and there's going to be a remake of Friday the 13th, so the Freddy and Jason movies can still be made seperately.

Xhan

SM

QuoteI think Blade Runner made alot of people think differently about the future and how it can be thought of.

Maybe some of the 4 or 5 people who actually went and watched it.

Jango1201

Quote from: SM on Nov 30, 2007, 06:48:33 AM
QuoteI think Blade Runner made alot of people think differently about the future and how it can be thought of.

Its a sad thought...

We spent years wishing and wanting an AVP film. The idea spent years in development hell and now that we have the films we wanted, we wished they never happened. There will always be good movie ideas for Aliens, Predators and avp. But sadly its no longer quality, only profit.

Highland

I dont want to bring him up again, but the decision to make paul anderson director of a potential new series was just plain dumb. The person who even thought of mentioning his name should have been fired on the spot.

An unknown like the strauses would have been a much better choice.

This movie is cleaning up the mess just like wolf i suppose. Then that'll be that, back to comic books for another 10 years...

The Chibi Kiriyama

Quote from: Pvt. Hicks on Nov 30, 2007, 05:14:56 AM
Fox messed it up. They had a great thing going.

That's all that really needs to be said about any of Fox's current films.

gases

Quote from: Jango1201 on Nov 30, 2007, 07:12:56 AM
Quote from: SM on Nov 30, 2007, 06:48:33 AM

Its a sad thought...

We spent years wishing and wanting an AVP film. The idea spent years in development hell and now that we have the films we wanted, we wished they never happened. There will always be good movie ideas for Aliens, Predators and avp. But sadly its no longer quality, only profit.

these guys are doing the best they can with the budget they have. Imagine if this goes well, we will get a big budget avp 3 so they can really do what they want, creature designs etc.

Foundationman2

I don't think it has near as much to do with budget restraints as with time restrictions. They didn't have near as long to make this movie as a lot of older more experienced directors may have. I believe the visual effects will be awesome, because the Strauses are experts in that area, however, I'm not sure the same can be said for the direction. I'm countin' on ya Strauses! Make sure its good...

Anomaly

Quote from: highlandpred on Nov 30, 2007, 07:42:53 AM
I dont want to bring him up again, but the decision to make paul anderson director of a potential new series was just plain dumb. The person who even thought of mentioning his name should have been fired on the spot.

Up to this point no problems. Then...

Quote from: highlandpred on Nov 30, 2007, 07:42:53 AM
An unknown like the strauses would have been a much better choice.

If someone can point out the obvious flaw in this reasoning theyll get a cookie ;)

...WOW.  ::)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed