Doubt: Can you really blame us?

Started by The Unknown, Nov 22, 2007, 07:01:53 PM

Author
Doubt: Can you really blame us? (Read 5,206 times)

Anomaly

Anomaly

Alien 3 got caught in the fanbase crossfire because of some story decision technicalities. It was more closely related to the first 2 films than anything today.

vehtam

vehtam

Quote from: gameoverman on Nov 22, 2007, 07:51:33 PM
The Assembley cut is way better.  It's one of the most unique science fiction films.

so true! it completely changed the way i'm looking at this movie.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: Anomaly on Nov 22, 2007, 07:47:52 PM
Quote from: Aeus on Nov 22, 2007, 07:43:10 PM
He means it just more fast paced than Alien 3 and appeals to a wider audiance. He never, ever said it was better. I think him saying it's not as arty indicates it is not as good.

Brett Ratner pitched x3 this same way, save for saying his film wasnt as arty.

Types that hate story over action have a certain lingo, when you pick up on it you can most likely spot them from a mile away.
Alien 3 could have had more action in it, it still would have been average.
And goddamn, i just hope its better then alien 3, it would be lame if avp-r isnt.
QuoteAlien 3 is a great movie. It's films like Predator 2 and Ressurection that bring each series down.
Not for me.
Predator 2 was a fan pleaser, it had great visual effects, great urban action, very suspenseful and developed the predator character and the new awesome weapons.
Predator 2 gave predator fans pretty much everything they wanted, and the predator costume was improved too.
I dont see the problem with predator 2, sure it had its flaws too and could have had a bit more story, but overall it is f**king great.
Alien 3 is just lame, bad visual effects and i didnt liked the idea with the prisoners from the start, and sigourney weaver with a bold? Only thing pretty good was the dog alien, and its still not as good as winstons aliens or the original.
So, i disagree.

Aeus

Aeus

Quote from: gameoverman on Nov 22, 2007, 07:51:33 PM
Quote from: Aeus on Nov 22, 2007, 07:43:10 PM
Quote from: gameoverman on Nov 22, 2007, 07:36:15 PM
Quote from: Aeus on Nov 22, 2007, 07:21:57 PM

The writer also thinks the final version of this film is better than Alien Ressurection, Predator 2 and AVP. He says it also more watchable than Alien 3 but not as arty.

Man, this guy is really arrogant.

What the hell are you on about?

He means it just more fast paced than Alien 3 and appeals to a wider audiance. He never, ever said it was better. I think him saying it's not as arty indicates it is not as good.

A lot of films are more watchable than Alien and Alien 3, but it doesn't nessaceilly make them better.

Yeah but calling them arty farty?  I have sat through 'arty' films and they are nothing like Alien 3.  Most of them are barely coherent.

He's not calling Alien 3 an arty farty film. He's calling it a very artisitc film, in the fact that it is very emotional and conjures a strong emotional response from the veiwer. Not to mention that the film visually is like looking at art.

QuoteAlien 3 is average and this is the movie where fox is began all the shit.

The Assembley cut is way better.  It's one of the most unique science fiction films.

So true.

QuoteAlien 3 could have had more action in it, it still would have been average.
And goddamn, i just hope its better then alien 3, it would be lame if avp-r isnt.

Alien 3 was set in the tone of the orginal. A claustraphaubic, 'no hope', horror. Not some Veitnam rollercoaster ride.

If I want action, i'll watch Predator. Aliens look stupid doing all that stuff. But they are the kings of scarey.

QuoteNot for me.
Predator 2 was a fan pleaser, it had great visual effects, great urban action, very suspenseful and developed the predator character and the new awesome weapons.
Predator 2 gave predator fans pretty much everything they wanted, and the predator costume was improved too.
I dont see the problem with predator 2, sure it had its flaws too and could have had a bit more story, but overall it is f**king great.
Alien 3 is just lame, bad visual effects and i didnt liked the idea with the prisoners from the start, and sigourney weaver with a bold? Only thing pretty good was the dog alien, and its still not as good as winstons aliens or the original.
So, i disagree.

I am a humungous fan of the original Predator. Huge fan. I gave me everything I didn't want. It had piss all suspense, average acting, no claustraphobic setting, not huge action scenes, no great cinematography, no 'embracing the primal instincts' themes at the end. Nothing. I could go on for hours.

Predator 2 was just your bog standard action flick.

Alien 3 the assembly cut is beatifull. An amazing emotional ride of a movie. Made by one of the most critically aclaimed Directors, not some hack of the likes that worked on Predator 2.

Demonio Cazador

Quote from: vehtam on Nov 22, 2007, 07:51:17 PM
Quote from: Demonio Cazador on Nov 22, 2007, 07:49:44 PM
Oh my...here we go again!!... ::)

http://blogs.amnestyusa.org/pub/amnestyusa/death-penalty/beating-a-dead-horse.gif

holy shit, did Demonio state that avp-r is a 'dead horse'? now that's unusual  ;D

Huh?...Hi there...sorry, do I know you?  ;D ;D ;)

What I mean is the topic...people need to get over the fact that at this point, the movie is finished and creating a new thread to criticize what's been criticized for the 6 past months; "Beating a dead horse"...
Capisce?

vehtam

vehtam

Quote from: Demonio Cazador on Nov 22, 2007, 08:05:24 PM
What I mean is the topic...people need to get over the fact that at this point, the movie is finished and creating a new thread to criticize what's been criticized for the 6 past months; "Beating a dead horse"...
Capisce?

sure, i just interpret this gif as a continuosly complaining about something, thats already sucking donkey balls so much it don't need anymore hits, sorry ;)

Johnny Handsome

QuoteAlien 3 was set in the tone of the orginal. A claustraphaubic, 'no hope', horror. Not some Veitnam rollercoaster ride.
True, but i watch the original if i want to have the same tone.
QuoteI am a humungous fan of the original Predator. Huge fan. I gave me everything I didn't want. It had piss all suspense, average acting, no claustraphobic setting, not huge action scenes, no great cinematography, no 'embracing the primal instincts' themes at the end. Nothing. I could go on for hours.
If you see it this way.
But i have to disagree about the action scenes, come on, the film opens and there is a great action scene right at the beginning.
QuoteAlien 3 the assembly cut is beatifull. An amazing emotional ride of a movie. Made by one of the most critically aclaimed Directors, not some hack of the likes that worked on Predator 2.
A beatifull style does not make a film good, atleast not for me.
And the way you talk about predator2 is the same way i think about alien 3.
For me, this was a piss poor average movie with 2 hours of boring characters, lame tone and not a single great action scene, and the bad alien puppet put this film to rest for me.
Its not that i want alien 3 to be bad, not at all, but i just think it is.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

You guys all act like you have seen this movie.

Anomaly

Anomaly

One thing Fincher could teach Hopkins is how to be a minimalist. Its a story minded skill hes sorely lacking.

BTW did people realize Stephen Hopkins made "The Reaping" with Hillary Swank recently? Every critic ive seen says it was horrendous  :-X

Robotpo

Robotpo

Quote from: Anomaly on Nov 22, 2007, 07:01:53 PM
Most explain a suspected gimmick away of AVP-R without collectively looking at them ALL. Thats what I find funny about many optimists on this board. We raise issue after issue and therye always there to refute it in some clever way, but lets tally up the warning signs shall we?

• Weve got new directors that are making their DEBUT with this film, previously VFX pros.
  • The script is written by the same guy who gave us AVP.
  • Weve got Fox, who is known to destroy franchises, and even has killed THESE franchises years ago  ::)
  • Christmas release date. Suggesting a "christmas is time for blood and guts" mentality here, typical of cheap films
  • Weve got no name actors in a suburban town, ala Friday the 13th.
  • So far the lines sound simplistic.
  • Weve already spotted one of those corny teen makeout scenes ala "Swimfan"
  • Weve got a redband trailer with a head explosion and violence montage. I dont think any Alien or Predator film has ever had a red band.
  • We have a cast member stating the movie is mainly about blowing sht up reel good.

• The puking idea is blatantly a shock device. Puke shock is usually seen in low brow films, or Marilyn Manson live performances.
  • The runtime is that of Predator 1, however 1000 times more creatures will be running amock, meaning more action than cant fit the frame probably.
  • Browsing the replies, many fans it draws out are those looking for violence and bloody murders of humans they couldnt care less about.

With these blatant warning signs, is it so illogical to believe this film is most likely going down the road that about a dozen warning signs say it will? Ive seen warning signs before but man, this one has to be the highest count for a film.

These signs are either right on the money, or this film has one of the WORST image problems I've ever seen. Just like the stock market, you sell when you sense danger. Everyone does it.

I agree 100%...

BTW, Adam, we have seen this movie. It just wasn't called "Aliens VS Predator - Requiem."

Johnny Handsome

QuoteEvery critic ive seen says it was horrendous
Yeah, in germany too, altough there were a few good ones in some magazines.
But then again, Stephen hopkins worked on "24", which was f**king brilliant directed.

Demonio Cazador

Quote from: AdamJZ on Nov 22, 2007, 08:13:45 PM
You guys all act like you have seen this movie.

Yep, amazing isn't it? :o

Quote from: Robotpo on Nov 22, 2007, 08:18:44 PM
BTW, we have seen this movie. It just wasn't called "Aliens VS Predator - Requiem."

::) Wow...speaking of nonsense...

;D ;D ;D

Anomaly

Anomaly

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Nov 22, 2007, 08:21:25 PM
But then again, Stephen hopkins worked on "24", which was f**king brilliant directed.

And Ratner worked on Prison Break. Singer works on House.

The Chibi Kiriyama

I've been getting a bad vibe from the circumstances surrounding AVPR for some time now. By this time, there's usually a buzz going on if a movie will prove to be a sleeper hit. This movie has none of that. I was once optimistic, but at this point I'm bracing myself for ROTSS with Aliens and a Predator.

Tun

Tun

QuoteI am a humungous fan of the original Predator. Huge fan. I gave me everything I didn't want. It had piss all suspense, average acting, no claustraphobic setting, not huge action scenes, no great cinematography, no 'embracing the primal instincts' themes at the end. Nothing. I could go on for hours.
I like Predator 2. I understand though when people don't like it, but I don't think the action scenes aren't big enough or a bad point in the movie. That's one area I think they did quite well.
QuoteAlien 3 the assembly cut is beatifull. An amazing emotional ride of a movie. Made by one of the most critically aclaimed Directors, not some hack of the likes that worked on Predator 2.
I thought Alien 3 was decent, but I think it was average especially for that franchise. I thought the characters were a big point of difference between 3, and the first two. But that's me.
QuoteBTW, Adam, we have seen this movie. It just wasn't called "Aliens VS Predator - Requiem."
Huh? no. Whether it is good or bad in the end, it's not like AvP, if that's what you're talking about.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed