How is AVP-R "going back to the roots"?

Started by Robotpo, Nov 20, 2007, 10:42:23 PM

Author
How is AVP-R "going back to the roots"? (Read 65,510 times)

Colin_Strause

Quote from: superunknown on Nov 21, 2007, 12:10:35 AM
How can there be a hive in this if there are no eggs?

Huh? It's pretty common to build the nursery first before the baby is born. Same idea.

superunknown

Quote from: Colin_Strause on Nov 21, 2007, 12:27:42 AM

Huh? It's pretty common to build the nursery first before the baby is born. Same idea.

What's in the Hive though?  In the previous films, Hives were built in warm, secluded areas- like under the primary heat exchanger in Aliens or the engine room in AR- so the eggs could incubate.

Unless my info is wrong, the Predalien goes around personally impregnating people.  That eliminates the need for eggs, right?  Someone here flat-out said that there are no eggs in the film, so what's the purpose of a Hive?

SM

SM

It was in a waste tank in A:R.  Which nevertheless, did seem rather warm.

Colin_Strause

Quote from: superunknown on Nov 21, 2007, 12:31:02 AM

What's in the Hive though?  In the previous films, Hives were built in warm, secluded areas- like under the primary heat exchanger in Aliens or the engine room in AR- so the eggs could incubate.

Unless my info is wrong, the Predalien goes around personally impregnating people.  That eliminates the need for eggs, right?  Someone here flat-out said that there are no eggs in the film, so what's the purpose of a Hive?

As discussed to death in another thread, there is a complexity to Alien reproduction that isn't limited to such a simple and rigid structure. Nature finds a way, and we've never seen the phase of an Alien pre-queen before. We've seen what born queens do in A:R, but what does a lone alpha Alien do to reproduce? What's that next phase look like? Etc, etc. These were the questions that got us excited when we did our pitch. 

superunknown

QuoteAs discussed to death in another thread, there is a complexity to Alien reproduction that isn't limited to such a simple and rigid structure. Nature finds a way, and we've never seen the phase of an Alien pre-queen before. We've seen what born queens do in A:R, but what does a lone alpha Alien do to reproduce? What's that next phase look like? Etc, etc. These were the questions that got us excited when we did our pitch. 

So this Predalien Queen is not actually a fully matured Queen then?

Colin_Strause

Quote from: superunknown on Nov 21, 2007, 12:43:09 AM
QuoteAs discussed to death in another thread, there is a complexity to Alien reproduction that isn't limited to such a simple and rigid structure. Nature finds a way, and we've never seen the phase of an Alien pre-queen before. We've seen what born queens do in A:R, but what does a lone alpha Alien do to reproduce? What's that next phase look like? Etc, etc. These were the questions that got us excited when we did our pitch. 

No, she isn't. The movie takes place over 2 days, so there isn't any time for that change to happen.

echobbase79

Quote from: Colin_Strause on Nov 21, 2007, 12:46:37 AM

No, she isn't. The movie takes place over 2 days, so there isn't any time for that change to happen.

Ok, well that makes since to me. All the little questions I had are now starting to be filled in.  :)

ElderPredator

Mmmmmm......I remember that in ALIEN 4 someone asked a scientits this about the queen, "So when is she going to start laying eggs?" and the scientists responded, "A couple of days."

So the pred-queen could start laying eggs real soon, not in two days but maybe a couple of more.

Gates

Quote from: Colin_Strause on Nov 21, 2007, 12:36:50 AM
We've seen what born queens do in A:R, but what does a lone alpha Alien do to reproduce? What's that next phase look like?

I thought it was pretty clear in the Alien DC...and secondly, the concept of an alpha alien is ridiculous... :-X

superunknown

Quote from: Gates on Nov 21, 2007, 12:55:58 AM
We've seen what born queens do in A:R, but what does a lone alpha Alien do to reproduce? What's that next phase look like?

I thought it was pretty clear in the Alien DC...and secondly, the concept of an alpha alien is ridiculous... :-X

Egg morphing can still work for human-born Aliens.  I hope it shows up in Alien 5, when it gets made (it's inevitable).

I like the idea of an alpha Alien like Grid because in Hive situations it at least distinguishes one Alien from the rest instead of making them all dumbasses.

Of course the ideal situation would be no Hive at all, just badass individual Aliens, like the ones from Ridley's and David's movies.

Ballzanya

Quote from: superunknown on Nov 21, 2007, 12:31:02 AM

As discussed to death in another thread, there is a complexity to Alien reproduction that isn't limited to such a simple and rigid structure. Nature finds a way, and we've never seen the phase of an Alien pre-queen before. We've seen what born queens do in A:R, but what does a lone alpha Alien do to reproduce? What's that next phase look like? Etc, etc. These were the questions that got us excited when we did our pitch. 

There never was any speculation that a "pre-queen" even existed or could exist before this point. Molting into a queen was only in some of the games like avp:extinction. It wasn't even in any of the Aliens vs. Predator comics.
Even comic books prior to alien 3 being released in theaters, featured the fact that queens were born as such.
(see Aliens:Platinum edition, mainly the first story entitled, "the theory of alien propogation")

Xenomorphine

Eggs aren't a prerequisite. It's just the sort of environment they like.

Or, if we take the 'red weed' analogy, the environment they somehow spawn which grows around them.

My take on it is that, because of the obvious whalebone look, it reminds them of their time in the proverbial womb of their host bodies. The chest cavity.

Is this confirmation the Predalien reproduction method was your idea, as opposed to what was in the script before you got there?

Just interested to know what was added to the draft you saw and what was taken away. :)

Ah-ha... More than one day.

By the way, Colin, although I make a light-hearted parody of it in my signature, I'm genuinely intrigued to know: Why did you choose moulting, instead of what is regarded as the much more horrific egg transformation method? What was wrong with showing that's how they got Queen facehuggers? Was it a budget issue or was there something you and Greg just personally did not like about it?

Colin_Strause

Only movies are cannon. It's cool to pull ideas from comics and books but films are the end-all-be-all.

ShadowPred

So with that we can assume that you might have taken the part where the queen's main priority is to build a hive just like that last panel stated??

darcevil

Quote from: Yellow Alien on Nov 20, 2007, 10:58:08 PM
Original cloak effect.

You mean the horrible effect from pred 1 instead of the transparent cgi? Thats not an improvement. :-\

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed