What made you a fan?

Started by Vader the White, Mar 10, 2007, 10:37:25 PM

Author
What made you a fan? (Read 150,807 times)

DogXeno

DogXeno

What made me a fan was Aliens.  It was the first one I saw.  I was a kid and watched it with my dad.  Needless to say I was obsessed with it ever since and right around the time Alien3 hit theaters.  Alien3 actually over the years has become my favorite of the series.  But back then it tore me up how all the characters died off.  After Alien3 I started reading all the comic stories and just loved every bit of it.  I remember being in school doodling xenomorphs in my notebook to pass the time. 
Anyways, all these years later here I am.  Still frequently watch the movies from time to time.  I collect figures, read comics still...not a lot changed.  It all really started with my dad and me sitting down one day to watch a random movie that happened to be the start of my obsession. 

David_Weyland

David_Weyland

8)
In 1986 I was 14 and Aliens was my first horror/R rated flick.
I didn't sleep for 3 days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1AGWXNmLZQ&list=PLC7dvyCVmQjLGhIoYcqNcT122NwgmOeGY

Enjoy!

Outkilln

Outkilln

Had brief exposure to the Aliens franchise but wasn't really into it until AVP (2010) launched. I got it on console and loved playing full games of infestation and whatever else the game had to offer.

Necronom IV

Necronom IV

H.R. Giger. I came across his Necronomicon as a fairly small boy, certainly before I was thirteen. I was a precocious and rather odd and sickly child. At ten my art teacher gave me a volume of Salvador Dali, once she realised I had a taste for the uncanny I never really looked back.

I did not understand the phallic and other sexual references (which is an entirely inadequate way to describe the horror of Giger's work, I tried liminal e.g. Dionysus but now prefer to leave its actual nature obscure)  but nevertheless found the Alien deeply disturbing and fascinating at the same time. I suspect such references are ''hard-wired'' into the human mind and ''Necronom IV'' and the Alien summon very ancient, nebulous, deep-running fears. Charles Lamb's essay on ''Witches and Night Terrors'' is an interesting look at archetypal fears from an early nineteenth-century perspective.

calculatingbetterworlds

calculatingbetterworlds

Alien was actually the first movie I watched, that people considered to be scary.
So I thought: Well, someday I have to give those horror movies a try.
In the end, this movie is one of the least scary movies I watched, but Alien made me pay attention to horror or at least scary movies and back then I fell in love with those type of movie.
This was rather one of the major influences Alien had one me.
But the aspect that made me a fan of Alien, the Alien universe and Ridley Scott movies was actually a misfortune.
When I started the movie and the camera began to fly through the corridors of the Nostromo, somehow my headphones were deactivated.
In the first couple of minutes there was nothing but silence, obviously because I couldn't hear anything due to technical reasons. Normally, there is this silent and creepy music, but I heared absolutely nothing. I sat there and stared at this smooth camera movement, being prepared for a jump scare the whole time.
Back then, I haven't seen this good camera work before and I just thought wow.
Furthermore, my knowledge about scifi movies was awkwardly limited to StarWars and stuff, so I associated SciFi with heroic and fast action.
This kind of slowed down, detail-focused storytelling was absolutely new to me and I realised: I love it.

Finally, this good damn work on Alien didn't only make me love Alien, it also made me aware of other retro movies like BladeRunner and all the fantastic movies from Stanley Kubrick.

kyle little

kyle little

Giger.

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

When I was 7 years old my mum showed me Predator, Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, and Alien Resurrection around the same time she took my brother and I to watch Alien vs Predator. My obsession had begun.
Soon after this I snagged me some Kenner Aliens figures (Flying Queen, Gorilla Alien, Scorpion Alien, Cougar Alien, Giant Face Hugger) and No. 1, 2, 4, 7, 8, and 11 of the Dark Horse comics of this line at a boot sale.
A bit later my older brother got Aliens versus Predator 2 on computer. We played the crap out of that game.

SentryGun

SentryGun

For me, it started with a friend from school telling us about how he had seen Aliens. We would have been about 9 or 10 years old. A month or so later he got his hands on the VHS of Aliens and four of us sat down to watch it. Life was never the same again!!

Alien followed a couple of months later and then Predator.

Saw Alien 3 in the cinema on it's original release and have now seen all the films in the cinema at some stage or other. 

razeak

razeak

My mom loved scary movies. We watched Alien on HBO sometime in 1987. I was 6. I was also terrified, and each evening was a nightmarish paranoia when the lights went out until I was probably 13. It didnt' stop me from renting the original Alien a few weeks after seeing Aliens lol. I couldn't even watch the trailers or Kenner commercials without my heart rate skyrocketing.  The original CBS broadcast terrified me so badly I couldn't even stay in the living room while my mom watched it again. I listened from my bedroom haha. I surrounded myself with the property though. I saw Predator when it first came out on VHS. The tension that builds after the guerillas got wiped out hooked me. The Predator and Alien designs are still some of the best in cinema. That certainly helped.

Mrs.Majesty

Mrs.Majesty

One day I saw a meme with the Alien and thought that it would be a good idea to watch the Alien films. It was 2 years ago. Then I was a fan of horror movies and watched a lot of movies. I watched all the Alien movies. From the very first movie I loved this cinema universe so much. Then I found out about the AVP crossover and after that I found out  about the Predator. I watched all the movies. In the end, I became a fan of predators. AVP universe inspired me for a long time, it became my main interest. Fantasy has always been interesting to me. Aliens, magicians and witches, monsters, I love it all. These films were an amazing discovery for me. They combine the elements that I love in movies. Horror, aliens, action, big muscles and fishnets. I do not have a story about how I watched these films in childhood, there is no nostalgia here. I learned about these films through memes and now I'm here.

DerelictShip

DerelictShip

So, believe it or not AVP is what brought me in...

I remember leading up to the moves release they had marathons of the Alien series and Predator series.

I saw Alien, both Predators, A:R before the release. (Finished the rest after)

But being a kid and seeing the Alien tail pierce the Chopper was so fascinating. Seeing the queen chained up, captured by the Predators, Aliens running loose, the flashback scene. It was all so cool and just seemed such an open world for interpretation.

Absolutely, was hooked from that viewing forward. To this day Alien and Predator are my favorite franchise's ever. Love the creativity that can be done with them.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: DerelictShip on Oct 25, 2018, 03:06:20 PM
So, believe it or not AVP is what brought me in...

I remember leading up to the moves release they had marathons of the Alien series and Predator series.

I saw Alien, both Predators, A:R before the release. (Finished the rest after)

But being a kid and seeing the Alien tail pierce the Chopper was so fascinating. Seeing the queen chained up, captured by the Predators, Aliens running loose, the flashback scene. It was all so cool and just seemed such an open world for interpretation.

Absolutely, was hooked from that viewing forward. To this day Alien and Predator are my favorite franchise's ever. Love the creativity that can be done with them.

DAMMIT! You stole my thoughts! ;D
AVP (2004) was the first movie in both franchises that i watched (first cinema experience was Covenant). And i loved it and it still has special place in my heart because it made me fell in love with those creatures. I remember being very surprised realising that it was not universally loved and i still hardly can stand seeing somebody critisizing it. And it was first movie that introduced Queen to me and i remember watching Aliens later and thinking something like: "Oh look! It's a Queen!".

Samhain13

Samhain13

In a way AVP(2004) is the reason I became a fan even if it was disappointing... it got me interested on the concept of AVP, which I was not aware existed before watching it, leading me to Alien-Predator games. Which I enjoyed much more thus making me look forward to next installments of the series.

The Old One

The Old One

July 2007 (I believe), My Dad and Mom bought the Alien Quadrilogy.

Watched Alien, one night, Aliens the next, Alien³ the next- then School week, then Resurrection.

Can't remember what I thought, only that I loved the first three a lot,
and Dad bought me H.R Giger's Alien soon afterwards.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

This picture in a magazine in 1992. I was four years old, and it 100% sold me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed