What made you a fan?

Started by Vader the White, Mar 10, 2007, 10:37:25 PM

Author
What made you a fan? (Read 153,350 times)

fry1236

fry1236

Predator 2 is pretty good too (Thats what I think)

atlantis

atlantis

I became a fan in 1979 ate the age of 19, while watching on TV a show called "Premiere " every week it showed new upcoming movies, and that night it showed "Alien" ... A couple of day's later I went to nearest city.. and there where the first posters, showing the gridded floor and the Alien egg.... still 1 month till it came out... I went to Bookstore and found the novel... Did read it.. and was completely overwhelmed... Finally the day of the Movie premiere arrived... went into theater..and Lived one of the most terrifying moments in my life...I was completely overwhelmed when seeing the "Space Jockey "..cause its not mentioned in the novel... after movie was finished I noticed i only had eaten 4 pieces of popcorn and my can of cola was still closed...i went home like in a dream ... and tried to draw what i had seen on screen... That week I visited the movie 4 more times...

Since that week the movie never did get out of my head... till this day I think every day 3 or 4 times at it... I visited H.R. Giger exhibitions ...dd buy his books... and around 1981 , I started  drawing the first designs and concepts of a story, of what happend before Nostromo arrived on that Alien planet... ( I turned the drawings now into 3d renderings and posting them in my Alien World thread...)

r888

r888

My dad got me into aliens, every night he come back home from work and watch horror films
So one night my dad was watching alien, my dad seems to watch it many times
I didn't want to watch it because it look scary as shit
so then I decide to watch it with him , it scare the crap out of me
After I watch it again and still scare but after that I really like it
So I kept watching it again and again
that when I became a fan
my dad is still a fan

Space7Horror

Space7Horror

I was about 9 and my parents rented AVP and the face huggers creeped the sh** out of me. Then I rented alien and fell in love with the whole idea

CSM101

CSM101

I first saw Predator 1 several years ago.

Interestingly enough the first time I even saw anything to do with the alien series was the alien trilogy game for the sega saturn. I still play that game to this day.

It wasn't until recent years that I actually watched alien and aliens and fell in love with them both. Alien 3 was incredibly disappointing, boring, and in some cases just too deep! Sorry to those that like it but I found it a very bland ending to the trilogy. Alien Resurrection on the other hand I just can't really call a film...

Not long after getting into the films I played the avp games. The thing is i'd seen and heard of the first game in 1999 but never played it. I was always more into Half life in those days!

I liked and still like avp2 but not really 3. I think it's graphically brilliant but apart from that slightly boring; in comparison to avp2. I mean for example in avp2 you actually start off as a facehugger and have to facehug someone, then grow into an adult. In the third game you just start as an alien adult and the plot isn't as interesting as 2; it felt very linear. The level design was quite bland, whereas in 2 I enjoyed walking around the observation pods; it was like walking around the Nostromo, which I suppose was the idea. ;D I've never seen any of the avp films and I dunno if I really care to. I think Predator and Aliens are great standalone films but as a combined franchise nahhhh.

I am very skeptical about modern films in this day and age but I might just give Prometheus a go. I just hope the emphasis isn't on graphics but on story, acting and plot. That's one of the things I liked about the first 2 Alien films, well that and the believeable set designs!

glaswegianmark

glaswegianmark

Alien series: The art direction, visuals, direction, acting and tension and mystery of alien hooked me and stil lgrips me to this day. the film never gets old. i like the fact that ridley scott wanted it to feel like a WW2 submarine and use futuristic elements but wanted them to appear primitive and raw. The film isnt celebrated enough to be honest. before i saw aliens i thought how can they top alien? is this going to be another haunted house kind of story which mimics and copies alien. but cameron decided to go in another direction which worked. he has the same visual eye as Ridley Scott. the film blew me away. thats what i liked about the alien franchise, each film has its own genre and mythology and doesnt try to replicate the previous. aliens 3 is amazing on paper, especially the novelisation but just failed, not because of Finch but because 20th century fox basically bullied him throughout production. Finch could ave made a masterpiece. Alien 4 is a fun enjoying film in its own rights but even the writer (now directing the avengers) said the people who made it did it wrong, cast it wrong (apart from weaver), produced it wrong, filmed it wrong.

predator series: the predator blew me away as a kid. i grew up with it and its alwasy going to be one of my favourite films. even introduced me to two nasty jokes lol fans will understand what i mean. predator 2 was amazing and doesnt get enough praise. glover pulled off a great performance. predators could have been better but its still an okay film.
  i didnt like the black guy who went native. he was like Robin Williams if Robin williams was still stuck in jumanji
one of the last sci-fi films that used practical effects

AVP  series: i loved the comics and novelizations and even the original games. i loved the unproduced script which would have made a great film. but 20th century fox has been run by idiots these days and handed over control to Paul WS Anderson (uwe boll in disguise) and ruined it for me.

YautjaCetanu

YautjaCetanu

i first saw Predator when i came out and i got hooked and saw predator 2 then i heard about avp so i watched the alien movies. so predator made me a fan

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

My gran was an action junkie and when she looked after me and my brother as kids we were introduced to the 80s/early nineties action flicks and Predator was one of them!!!  I got in trouble in school because at registration I'd shout out "GET TO THE CHOPPA!!!" when my name was called!

walker31

walker31

I grew up in a very strict, religious home.  My Parents became born again Pentecostals long before I was born.  In this particular faith, your whole life revolves around church and reading the Bible.  We weren't allowed to have TV or go to the movies, or go to the public pool, play organized sports, listen to anything other than Christian music, or spend the night at friends' houses that didnt go to your church.  No, we didnt have snakes there.  One day, I remember I saw Arnold Schwarzenegger in a World Guinness Book and I was amazed because he was so big!  From that point on I was fascinated by him and learned all about him.  Now, every once in a while I could go to my uncle's house, who didnt live like we did.  I would go to his house and stay up all weekend watching TV, mainly his Arnold movies.  Somehow, I came across Predator in his VHS collection.  I loved it.  Everytime I went over there I would watch it with my cousins.  Then, I went to a local bookstore one day and was walking through the comics, and was surprised to see that they had Predator comics!  I began collecting them and kinda hid them from my parents because sometimes they had "bad language".  As I grew older my parents eased up on the whole radical religious stuff, but it used to be HELL.  Thank God I found salvation in Predator.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: walker31 on Feb 11, 2012, 03:39:32 AM
Thank God I found salvation in Predator.
Not in Terminator?

walker31

walker31

That was good!  Didnt even occur to me when I wrote that!  mr. jokey joke maker! :laugh:

AVP Enzykopadist

AVP Enzykopadist

What made me a fan?

Good question, and i will answer you. I used to watch the first Alien movie when i was about 10 years old. It was screened after a Star Trek VI as Science Fiction TV double bill advertised in one Disney magazine. Yes, i still can´t believe it - but it is the truth.

Damn that scary, but soon after these creepy experience i watched Predator and it happened. It was not more frightened, now it was fascinating!

Thats basically it. 

Cvalda

Cvalda

Most kids had Star Wars--I had Alien. I was either four or five at the time, when I looked up from my Jurassic Park coloring book to see an ad for Alien on the Sci-Fi Channel. It looked like the most amazing thing I'd ever seen. I managed to remember the day it was on and begged my parents to change the channel to Sci-Fi--and after much whining they complied, but, alas, I had missed most of it and only saw the last act. No matter--that was enough to galvanize my love of all things Alien. I somehow found out that our neighbor owned the trilogy on VHS, and innocently knocked on her door, asking to borrow it. I can still recall perfectly the nervous double take she gave, considering these were R-rated films and I was barely out of kindergarten. "Do you have your parents' permission?" I lied and said, "yes." Victory. I took the boxset home and duped it in our VCR, and then proceeded to watch all three of them nearly every day for what must have been a couple of years. I cannot begin to estimate how many times I've seen the original trilogy--to paraphrase Ripley in Alien³, "You've been in my life so long, I can't remember anything else."

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

You were lucky. It's amazing your neighbour didn't call your parents after the visit.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed