Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:18:10 AM

Bishop in Alien 3 - Human or Android?

Human
393 (59.6%)
Android
266 (40.4%)

Total Members Voted: 609

Author
Bishop in Alien 3 - Human or Android? (Read 356,522 times)

Darkness

Darkness

So at the end of Alien 3, do you believe Bishop is really human or is just an android?

For quite some time, I always believed it was an advanced android but it wasn't until AvP, somebody convinced me that he was really human.

DRACO ^V^

How Ironic,I always viewed him as human until the release of avp. :-\ 

The Ultimate Predator

Human I think, but I can't be sure.

Mr. Weyland

I have started the same topic twice before on other forums, this could get nasty  ???   he is a human. period  :)

Corporal Hicks

I've always thought he was a 'droid. Still do, especially after AvP.

VenomX

VenomX

I still have to say after a blow like that to the head, it doesn't matter how committed you are to the cause of bringing Ripley home, you just don't walk around as unaffected by it as Bishop is. I'm open to the idea that he's not an android, I don't overly care on a personal level what he is, but if so, the fact he can practically ignore that injury and do what he does and say what he says, has got to be some very bad acting combined with bad directing and research, possibly writing as well, which allowed for the complete lack of realism.

While human ears are easier than you might think to tear off, a blow to the head with a solid metal pipe that tears off not only the ear but as big of a chunk of flesh from the skull that's shown in the movie, that's just nothing you get back up from like nothing happened. I know people take more abuse in movies in general than what is normally humanly possible, but that scene is just a bit over the top, imho  :)

I really think Bishops clearity and cold focus even after the blow, was intentionally directed and acted out that way to show that he was after all an Android, also adding just another situation where it proves you cannot trust these corporations.

The Ultimate Predator

Nice analysis. Truth is, we just don't know.  ;D

Corporal Hicks

That was always my thinking. He'd at least have been knocked out or in shock or something.

The Ultimate Predator

True. He could be like Terminator, has a robotic exoskeleton bus has blood around it, so he bleeds.

VenomX

VenomX

Yeah, well I don't know what the intention was, those are just my thoughts. But I find it very hard to see any realistic explanation for it otherwise.

It's kinda like if you'd see for example a regular action movie with a fight and one guy gets his shin broken off so his leg sticks out 90 degrees to the side with bones protruding. You might say that sure, maybe someone, angry enough, tough enough, whatever, would be able to keep fighting like nothing happened but realistically, you're going to suspect he's either a robot or high on drugs or something when you see it on the screen because it just isn't believable otherwise with how dramatic it's put together.  :)

EDIT: Plus, on a more technical note, skin is typically very soft and flimsy in texture. That big flap of skin on Bishops head, especially with the ear weighing it down but otherwise as well, should be hanging down the side of his neck rather than sticking straight out like a sore thumb the way it is. How stiff that is is also an indication it's a synthetic material imho.

The Ultimate Predator

imho - In My Honest Opinion?

Hmm. I'm starting to agree more and more with what you say. Though, there is always the big chance that the filmmakers weren't that seriously into it, and didn't mind about the way it looked. 

VenomX

Yeah I know, that could be, and I don't mind those who feel he's human, it's certainly one possible interpretation. I just can't accept that if they had intentionally meant for him to be human, that they would have done it the way they did it. It just seems like they'd have been intentionally aiming for lack of realism and making it hard to believe for the audience that way, and I can't see why they would.  :)

imho = In My Humble Opinion, or at least that's how I've learned it.

The Ultimate Predator

Humble, okay.  ;D

Who knows? Intentionally, I go with your theory, without intentionality, as in they didn't care, he's human. 

maledoro

Quote from: VenomX on Dec 11, 2006, 03:20:32 PM
Yeah I know, that could be, and I don't mind those who feel he's human, it's certainly one possible interpretation. I just can't accept that if they had intentionally meant for him to be human, that they would have done it the way they did it. It just seems like they'd have been intentionally aiming for lack of realism and making it hard to believe for the audience that way, and I can't see why they would.  :)
With all due respect, Messrs. Woodruff and Gillis had stated that they had used a special prosthetic appliance to Henriksen's head to show that it was injured and was bleeding red. From a medical standpoint, people react differently to various forms of head injury. Although Bishop II did react to getting hit, more often than you realize, people have suffered that extreme of a head injury and had reacted less to it.

wolfboy

He was a human. There would be no point in making the fake blood red. AvP just screwed up the time line.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed