To those who think that AVP-R looks like a crummy movie...

Started by Alienseseses, Nov 06, 2007, 01:00:26 AM

Author
To those who think that AVP-R looks like a crummy movie... (Read 5,559 times)

Luckygreycat

Luckygreycat

Quote from: SiL on Nov 06, 2007, 01:05:27 AM
The visual style in the store showdown is horrendous. It looked like something out of a fan film, not a multi-million dollar production.

YES EXACTLY!!!  I thought I was the only one!!  I hope that it wasn't the finished product.  Did anyone notice the alien blood pooling next to the body after the Predator killed it with the whip.  It was just pooling there with some very slight smoke rising.  Shouldn't that have immediately created a gaping hole in the floor.  Also, is there a reason why when the alien drops to the floor in front of them they don't immediately start firing at it while it stood there and hissed at them.  I think SIL is right.  It has the "feel" of a fan film that you would find on YouTube.  I think that Batman Dead End on YouTube has a more realistic feel than this scene.

Xenomorphine

In fairness, whether or not the humans fire on them is probably depending on just what they've seen of the things. It could be their first time. It might be like nothing they have ever witnessed in their entire life.

It's a valid point, although one we'll have to wait and find out the full details of.

That Yellow Alien

I'm guessing the reason they didn't shoot was because their is a lot of stuff cut out. The Predator uses Dallas as bait to lure that Alien out, so I assume when Dallas gets grabbed, the others grab their weapons, but don't fire because Dallas is being held by an invisible monster. Then when the Alien drops down, the Predator throws Dallas away and focuses on the Alien.

Dark Passenger

Quote from: Yellow Alien on Nov 06, 2007, 05:15:47 AM
I'm guessing the reason they didn't shoot was because their is a lot of stuff cut out. The Predator uses Dallas as bait to lure that Alien out, so I assume when Dallas gets grabbed, the others grab their weapons, but don't fire because Dallas is being held by an invisible monster. Then when the Alien drops down, the Predator throws Dallas away and focuses on the Alien.

Yeah or throws him down cause wolf  knows there gonna be and alien there soon then throws him down then hides somewhere then the peope are like WTF!! thenthe alien jumps down there there like AHHHH!!! then the pred comes downand yu no tha rest...........

Demonio Cazador

Quote from: SiL on Nov 06, 2007, 01:05:27 AM
The visual style in the store showdown is horrendous. It looked like something out of a fan film, not a multi-million dollar production.

That's probably because you're watching it in your 19 inch monitor?
Wait until you see it on the bigscreen...you know you will  ;)

I think the movie so far looks good, but until we see it in the theater screen we'll be able to enjoy the style and visuals a lot more!

The Chibi Kiriyama

Quote from: Alienseseses on Nov 06, 2007, 01:00:26 AM
People are saying that AVP-R has no visual style, that it looks cheap, that AVP looked epic etc.

I totally disagree with anyone who says that. Anderson just put everything to the same lighting in what seemed to be an attempt to add dark undertones to the film. Nevertheless, the movie does look low-budget.

QuoteCheap, right? Dull, boring angles, no lighting, some may even say the alien looks like crud.

That's what happens in production photos. I wouldn't call that a good example of what people are really complaining about.

QuoteUnderstand? Yes?

That Anderson is a sucky director, and that anyone who doesn't make them look like linebackers fighting against mentally challenged reptiles won't be bashed to the same tune? Sure.

QuoteQ. What kind of visual style does AVP-R have?

(Psst. A. A good one.)

Sorry, you fail the final exam question- the question was "will this really change public perspective," not "how many people are going to think this is better because AVP was utter crap?"

SiL

Quote from: Demonio Cazador on Nov 06, 2007, 06:32:17 AM
That's probably because you're watching it in your 19 inch monitor?
108 cm flat screen TV, actually :)

Sheriff Eddie Morales

I agree.

The Chibi Kiriyama

The attention to detail isn't so much the problem as it is that the detail isn't particularly impressive to focus upon in the first place.

Master

I have bad feeling that this film will be quite good from technical point of view. But story, acting  and fable will be crap :-\

Corporal Hicks

I've still got faith in the actors. I'm not banking out on anyone 'cause they're TV actors. In alot of cases, TV actors are far better than you're crappy big name Hollywood ones.

Keyes

Some of the footage shown has a kind of "cartoonish" look to it, and I was hoping for a more natural darker style (and indeed, that Batman: Dead End clip was what I had more in mind). Having said that, the clips we've seen in the rain look great, and the "Store Showdown" clip was far more dynamic than the first AVP. I see myself enjoying this one a lot more.

Alienseseses

I'm not talking about what is in the clips, I'm talking about how it was shot.

People are saying that AVP-R has no visual style, that it looks cheap, that AVP looked epic etc.

I totally disagree with anyone who says that. Anderson just put everything to the same lighting in what seemed to be an attempt to add dark undertones to the film. Nevertheless, the movie does look low-budget.
But not for its lighting and angles.
QuoteCheap, right? Dull, boring angles, no lighting, some may even say the alien looks like crud.

That's what happens in production photos. I wouldn't call that a good example of what people are really complaining about.
My point is that it is a production photo.  I'm just trying to give a good example of the differences before and after setting up the shot.
QuoteUnderstand? Yes?

That Anderson is a sucky director, and that anyone who doesn't make them look like linebackers fighting against mentally challenged reptiles won't be bashed to the same tune? Sure.
No. That the Strauses and Daniel Pearl know what they're doing with the visuals.
Anderson's mistakes number in high, but the linebacker/reptile thing is not the one I'm addressing.
QuoteQ. What kind of visual style does AVP-R have?

(Psst. A. A good one.)

Sorry, you fail the final exam question- the question was "will this really change public perspective," not "how many people are going to think this is better because AVP was utter crap?"
(palmface) That isn't the point.

AlienatedPredator

... have any of you studied cinematography?

This movie looks a zillion times better than the last installment visually.
AVP looked dull. The angles didn't suck. They passed. But there was no imagination, no flair, and really bad lighting.

AVP-R, though, perhaps due to Pearl, looks great. Dynamic colors (nice use of red and blue), the angles look dynamic.
Now, for one minute overlook the supposed pred bias. Now look at this picture.

Cheap, right? Dull, boring angles, no lighting, some may even say the alien looks like crud.

Now, the after to the before.

The angle looks great, the lighting gives it more mystique and flair, and the designs look better to those who didn't like them before.
Even somebody with the most fundamental knowledge of cinematography knows which is better.

Whereas AVP had:
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/gallery/albums/movies/avp/dvdcaptures/normal_dvdcapture14.jpg
Boring stuff. Face on, we see man in suit.
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/gallery/albums/movies/avp/dvdcaptures/normal_dvdcapture30.jpg
Where's the mysterious lighting, the creative angles? Dude, this is a predator. Make it look GOOD.
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/gallery/albums/movies/avp/dvdcaptures/normal_dvdcapture27.jpg
If this one looks good to you, it is because it has a queen in it.

Understand? Yes?

OK. Quiz.

Q. What kind of visual style does AVP-R have?

(Psst. A. A good one.)

Look closely at that second picture. There is definately something holding that Alien on the left, like its trapped inside something.

dDave

Quote from: AlienatedPredator on Nov 06, 2007, 01:24:36 PM
... have any of you studied cinematography?

This movie looks a zillion times better than the last installment visually.
AVP looked dull. The angles didn't suck. They passed. But there was no imagination, no flair, and really bad lighting.

AVP-R, though, perhaps due to Pearl, looks great. Dynamic colors (nice use of red and blue), the angles look dynamic.
Now, for one minute overlook the supposed pred bias. Now look at this picture.

Cheap, right? Dull, boring angles, no lighting, some may even say the alien looks like crud.

Now, the after to the before.

The angle looks great, the lighting gives it more mystique and flair, and the designs look better to those who didn't like them before.
Even somebody with the most fundamental knowledge of cinematography knows which is better.

Whereas AVP had:
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/gallery/albums/movies/avp/dvdcaptures/normal_dvdcapture14.jpg
Boring stuff. Face on, we see man in suit.
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/gallery/albums/movies/avp/dvdcaptures/normal_dvdcapture30.jpg
Where's the mysterious lighting, the creative angles? Dude, this is a predator. Make it look GOOD.
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/gallery/albums/movies/avp/dvdcaptures/normal_dvdcapture27.jpg
If this one looks good to you, it is because it has a queen in it.

Understand? Yes?

OK. Quiz.

Q. What kind of visual style does AVP-R have?

(Psst. A. A good one.)

Look closely at that second picture. There is definately something holding that Alien on the left, like its trapped inside something.

left? the alien on the right has a chain around his head...
but i know what you mean, but i couldnt see it directly...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed