To those who think that AVP-R looks like a crummy movie...

Started by Alienseseses, Nov 06, 2007, 01:00:26 AM

Author
To those who think that AVP-R looks like a crummy movie... (Read 5,489 times)

Alienseseses

... have any of you studied cinematography?
People are saying that AVP-R has no visual style, that it looks cheap, that AVP looked epic etc.

This movie looks a zillion times better than the last installment visually.
AVP looked dull. The angles didn't suck. They passed. But there was no imagination, no flair, and really bad lighting.

AVP-R, though, perhaps due to Pearl, looks great. Dynamic colors (nice use of red and blue), the angles look dynamic.
Now, for one minute overlook the supposed pred bias. Now look at this picture.

Cheap, right? Dull, boring angles, no lighting, some may even say the alien looks like crud.

Now, the after to the before.

The angle looks great, the lighting gives it more mystique and flair, and the designs look better to those who didn't like them before.
Even somebody with the most fundamental knowledge of cinematography knows which is better.

Whereas AVP had:

Boring stuff. Face on, we see man in suit.

Where's the mysterious lighting, the creative angles? Dude, this is a predator. Make it look GOOD.

If this one looks good to you, it is because it has a queen in it.

Understand? Yes?

OK. Quiz.

Q. What kind of visual style does AVP-R have?

(Psst. A. A good one.)

SiL

The visual style in the store showdown is horrendous. It looked like something out of a fan film, not a multi-million dollar production.

Major Alan Schaefer

Quote from: SiL on Nov 06, 2007, 01:05:27 AM
The visual style in the store showdown is horrendous. It looked like something out of a fan film, not a multi-million dollar production.
You watch some good fan films...
Scifi channel can't even get lighting near AVP-R's so its not that bad

Anomaly

Anomaly

From what i like and dislike in great films, Id say AVPRs visual style is similar to AVP's, its pretty straight forward and more colorful and less moody than say Finchers orange tint or Camerons blue tints.

Similar films with this more simple cinematography are T3, The X-men films, Superman Returns, fantastic 4, Spiderman etc.

If its a good film it wont matter though.

RCarrillo

in my opinion the clip we saw doesnt look or sound complete so i dont see how u can judge something that isnt finished yet

Major Alan Schaefer

Quote from: Anomaly on Nov 06, 2007, 01:11:02 AM
From what i like and dislike in great films, Id say AVPs visual style is similar to AVP's, its pretty straight forward and more colorful and less moody than say Finchers orange tint or Camerons blue tints.

Similar films with this more simple cinematography are T3, The X-men films, Superman Returns, fantastic 4, Spiderman etc.

If its a good film it wont matter though.
But Genrealy lighting make it all look alot better

The Shuriken

Mother of f**k...

I never noticed that the first production picture with the Predator grabbing the Alien was the sewer scene... :-[

csutkakoma

csutkakoma

AvPR has a great visual style and i like it! The lighting, the dark tone, the LV-426 atmosphere and the rain which is really great choice( Like in the Aliens). Im impressed so far.

holdtheline

I agree, you can tell the angles and lighting, the way the shots are framed is a lot better, making the creatures look like living, mysterious alien beings instead of plastic-y men in suits.  I know people have issues with the Alien design, but with the lighting and use of shadow seen in the footage and images so far, they look a lot more convincing than what Anderson came up with, and the flaws are hidden (which is why flaws in the Alien designs in general are less of an issue since they spend so much time obscured in the dark anyway).

happypred

sadly i'm inclined to agree...predator destroying aliens does not a good movie make

Otnip

Quote from: happypred on Nov 06, 2007, 02:33:25 AM

sadly i'm inclined to agree...predator destroying aliens does not a good movie make

Look, I don't know anything about visual style or capturing shots, but thats not what Sil meant...

He meant the way it was shot and presented, not what was being shot

As or my take on it, I can't really tell the difference. Which sounds sad. Maybe if I paid more attention to these things, however, I'd miss the movie. But I agree, the way its shot is important

Xenomorphine

I've been saying the cinematography is great, for quite some time now. The first preview confirmed that.

However... The last film also had some great visual moments. Ignoring them and then saying people should not ignore those in this one is a bit hypocritical, in my view.

Also, the recent footage is very different, in terms of the editing style, when compared to the preview. SiL wrote that it basically feels immature and there are parts about it which do. Nevertheless, there were a lot of pieces apparently missing and so, in regards to the visual style, I'm willing to give it a pass.

If I was purely judging that clip, though, I wouldn't be very happy. The preview, on the other hand, both looked great and had a nice sense of rhythm to it.

Porkus Maximus

QuoteWhere's the mysterious lighting, the creative angles?

The rest of the movie.  Seriously dispite its faults AVP had some pretty bitchin' lighting effects and atmosphere in the pyramid.  I firmly believe that Anderson did a fantastic job of taking a shitty alien design and making it look half-way decent through FX and lighting.

I seriously fail to see where the "mystique" and "flaire" is in that AVP-R pic btw, the pic of celtic looks a lot more polished.

xenomorph36

it looks ok. nothing spectacular..

if you wanna see some GREAT cinematography just watch KINGKONG or LOTR made by peter

jackson..

actually come to think of it i think the first alien film had a great cinematography as well

at it's time..

NintendoMan

i think EVERYONE knows that just the right lighting can make all the difference
and it looks good in the end, nothing bad about it.........

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed